A-4 Skyhawk colours, photos, scale references

Thought it would be a good idea to have a thread specifically for A-4 colourschemes, photos of the full size and details of stuff we may wish to employ on our models like cockpits, airbrakes, refuelling probes etc...

Feel free to drop any relevant stuff in here. I'll make a start with an Airliners.net search filtered on the type - plenty to scroll through in here for inspiration!

**LINK**

In a moment of absolute clarity whilst cleaning the bathroom its dawned on me this morning that the movie 'Top Gun' is also celebrating it's 30th Anniversary this year since release - the very year the PSSA was formed! No further excuses needed - enjoy this few minutes of HD footage from the film, I know deep down this is what we have in our minds when we are thrashing our models low level along the ridge of the Orme (or is it just me?!)

The A-4 shows its agility here, eventually ruining Maverick and Goose's day! Enjoy!

I'm ordering mine in a couple of weeks as I've already overspent my modelling budget this month.

I've already decided on the Blue Angels colouring as my building and covering skills are still in their infancy, so simple colouring is the name of the game, and Navy grey could be a bit disorientating against a grey sky.

With any luck, mine will be finished and maidened by June. I'm sure Big Phil won't mind lobbing it off one of the big hills at the Bwlch for me and capturing the moment on video.

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 31/01/2016 22:47:48:

I've already decided on the Blue Angels colouring as my building and covering skills are still in their infancy, so simple colouring is the name of the game, and Navy grey could be a bit disorientating against a grey sky.

What tail number are you going for? I have also decided on Blue Angels (for the same reason). Need some differentiation wink

Hi All, Try this website for A4 Skyhawk information - its a fascinating resource full of all types of A4 details: history / ex-pilots tales/history/images /photos/ operations etc etc ... its a gold mine!

Basically it's the website of the a4 association - for as they say ... "anyone dedicated to perpetuating the history of the A4."

The dropdown boxes take you into lots of other facts - eg carrier ops.

www.a4skyhawk.org

First fact I picked up - the first flight of the A4 was - June 22nd 1954! From Edwards AFB!

Regards H

Edited By Harry Twist on 01/02/2016 23:24:24

Have joined this one, for ideas.

I am planning to do the camouflage Isreal Air Force version, which has the different fin and bulge ie

**LINK**

http://mirageswar.com/uploads/posts/2009-10/1256719293_5541-1.jpg

Any chance of an alternative layout plan version Phil, so I have a drawing of the correct shape for the different type of fin and bulge?

If not I will do it the version as per plan but it will not be to scale (Know how this offends)

Andy Conway kindly helped me out with the Tornado when I needed different formers for my lost foam fuselage.

Hiya Pete, I drew the A4-E as a 'vanilla' A-4 variant, there are many mods and bulges and fin profiles which could be modelled on any individuals build - and this is all part of the fun - but I could only reasonably draw one plan for issue.

As Matt says, both mods are very easy to add so long as you have scale drawing of the full size, a rule and a pencil.

I will add a link to a decent Skyhawk 3-view drawing with the spine housing and revised fin profile shown - hoping you can work from that?? The fin is a simple 2D profile change. You would need to redraw just the fin top component from the woodpack as this is preshaped to reresent the earlier curved fin. As for the spine, it would be very simple to make from 2 3/16" side walls and a 1/2 sheet on top sanded to shape. It would glue very nicely to the top of the fuselage as it is quite flat along its centreline.

Note the addition of the spine would need a revised trimming profile tot he vac formed canopy - and it would need to run into the fin leading edge extension. All simple enough IMO.

Pete, as promised heres a couple of 3-views...

First, the A-4E, as drawn on the model plan.

a-4e 3-view.jpg

And heres the later A-4M variant with the spine hump. Note not only the squared off fin, but also the bigger canopy on this mark - revised framing for improves pilot visibility in combat.

3-view 1.jpg

Some good panel line references here for the rivet counters!! nerd

Thanks very much Phil, very helpful. Will now go into the Newsagents next door and order RC Model World for 2 months.

Panel lines - phew - just can't wait till I get to those. Just to reassure you I won't be placing an A-Z on the dash - a copy of the Daily Mail in Hebrew on the day of the launch - all to scale of course - NOT!

What version are you doing Matt? If you do one similar we can do formation flying as we have done with the JP's?

I am intending to use 25gram cloth then water based resin and Tamiya spray cans

Have asked Tim at Model Markings to quote me for decals - Hebrew will be a challenge - not arf!

Are you planing to approach Real Model Pilots Phil like we did for the Tornado - they were just brilliant. Mine definitely flew the model better than the fat gits in the JP who just sweated and disconnected their heads in a crash?