Rosco's Ballerina Build

Rosco

Hi all,

First of all, let me say that the FT style of build is no more and this is now a Rosco style of build!

I didn't achieve as much as I'd hoped for today but along the lines of Chris from Belgium' mantra, the great wall of China was built one brick at a time!

Carrying on then chaps........here's my pics from todays progress........

I started on the hatch. It's not quite done yet but its almost there. This pic shows some relief cuts on the inside so that I could give it a bend to give it some 'flow' from the nose up to the cockpit ................

dsc_0062c.jpg

After adding some bits underneath to hold its shape and to locate it into the fuselage. It will have a tongue and groove fit at the front and a magnetic 'hold' at the rear. I will also cut it down a little so that there is a 'permanent' piece glued onto the front.................as I say, it's not quite finished yet.........

dsc_0070c.jpg

Here's how I fold lines. After doing the relief cuts, If I can use a ruler it makes the fold better. Ruler edge on the line to be folded and then pushed from behind with my thumbs to bend the foamboard up. Two rulers is even better still because It stops the foam being squashed by my thumbs while I'm trying to bend the fold............

dsc_0061c.jpg

The hatch in situ. and sanded down to fit the fuse sides. There is still no motor mount firewall/former/bulkhead inside the fuse so it bows out a little. This will be fixed..........

dsc_0063c.jpg

Just another shot of the hatch in situ. It's hard to see in the pics but my folding of the hatch was to go from a sort of pointed (which I will round off a little) up nose to the flatter section infront of the cockpit.............

dsc_0064c.jpg

Here it is a bit closer (I really need to get my phone's camera sorted!) It looks unfinished and not fitting properly because it's not all finished yet! .............

dsc_0065c.jpg

I've given the fuse lock 'n' tab joins a sand to make the shape a little more rounded. This pic is from under the nose. Note: I'm thinking about doing something different to the rounded of edges from what I normally do (more on that another time)................

dsc_0066c.jpg

Edited By Rosco on 23/02/2016 11:27:57

Continued.......

Here's the rounded off 'corners' on the underside of the rear moment.........

dsc_0068c.jpg

And just another.........

dsc_0067c.jpg

So that's it for today folks.

Hopefully there will be a bit more done tomorrow.

Happy Building,

Rosco yes

PS. By the way, there are some nice looking Ballerina builds out there laugh ......beer.........smiley

Edited By Rosco on 23/02/2016 11:26:34

G'day Gents,

Today's update.........

I achieved a little today, but actually spent quite a bit of time thinking instead of building!

First things first though.........

I just happened to use up the last of some window cleaning solution and before the container went into the bin, i grabbed it to make my canopy (canopy at bottom of pic)....... cheeky

dsc_0065d.jpg

I was going to build just a windscreen but once I'd played around with the plastic a bit and I manipulated it here and manipulated it there, I ended up with this...........

dsc_0063d.jpg

and..........

dsc_0061d.jpg

and.........

dsc_0062d.jpg

So........

Something happened once I'd roughly moulded that canopy to fit surprise ............

At the beginning of my build, I said that I was going to try and keep this as close to the original plan as I could. ...........Well, that's not whats going to happen anymore blush

I did mention somewhere (not on my build thread though) that I was going to style the Ballerina on a Reno Racer type of aesthetic design,so, after fitting the canopy, I feel that it has given it a sleeker 'flow' so as I wanted to, I will finish this of in a Reno Racer theme yes yes cool

I think this pic shows what I mean about its 'sleekness'.............

dsc_0070d.jpg

Anyhow.............Like I mentioned, I spent a bit of the day thinking which included some 'viewing' of the net and I found a paint scheme that I felt kept the 'old' feel of the original design but with a Reno Racer 'speedy' look smiley

What do you think?...........

_20160224_095336.jpg

I might change the colours to fly the Aussie Yellow and Green and I have some ideas on a couple of additions to the scheme but I'm going to keep them secret.

Continuing along the way.........

I also managed to do a bit more on the hatch............

dsc_0071d.jpg

I couldn't resist......here's another pic of her sleek profile now smiley

dsc_0069d.jpg

That's all for the day's play today.

Hopefully I haven't strayed to far from the theme of the original Ballerina design?

Until next time,

yes

Rosco

Oh yeah.........Forgot to say, Has anyone noticed that my pic's are clearer? I thought and thought and thought and thought and then.........I spent 2 mins wiping/rubbing/cleaning my phones camera lens with a rag and some metho and......pics speak louder than words laugh .....All good

Rosco

Thanks guys.

Just a quick update, I have sorted the motor mount out, my hatch is 99% attached now and I'm hoping to get quite a bit done tonight as I won't be touching it for a few weeks after this. I'll post some pic's when I can but for now I just have to say it's coming along quite dandy!

Rosco

Hi Chris, Thanks smiley

The motor bulkhead is nothing flash really. I first glued in a foambulkhead and then added some birchwood pieces across where the motor mount screws need to fit. I normally make a bulkhead out of some thin wood that I have and just glue it in place but this time I thought I'd do it this way.

Here's the pieces...........

dsc_0073.jpg

Glued into position (they are straight, the pic makes them look crooked?)..........

dsc_0077.jpg

With the motor in place...........

dsc_0082.jpg

The hatch front tongue......

dsc_0074.jpg

from underneath..........

dsc_0075.jpg

Rosco yes

Hi All,

Not much to report unfortunately.

I have mounted the motor (I'm still unsure if I'll use the one in the pics) and spinner. It looks quite good me thinks.

I also have the hatch done too. Other than that, I didn't want to rush things just for the sake of it because I won't be doing anything on it at all for the next month or so. I'm happy with it at the moment and my time away from it gives me a chance to think about a few things anyway.

Here's the pics...........

Here's a tip. Don't throw away brushless motor 'cans' as the magnets within are fantastic for holding things on.I've used the following method forever.........so.........

Two magnets from an old brushless motor 'piggy backing' one another when the hatch is closed. I have always used magnets for my hatches (my models aren't usually large so the magnets suffice) and I have never had one fail. They are extremely strong...............

dsc_0084.jpg

Just a small tab (piece of tape) to lift the hatch off...........

dsc_0083.jpg

And.........in situ...........

dsc_0085.jpg

Motor mounted with the spinner in place......

dsc_0087.jpg

And another............

dsc_0089.jpg

That will be all for the next month or so on my build guys but I will still be lurking around yours!

Until the next time,

Happy building

Rosco yes

• 1 month later...
Hello all.

It's been a little while now since I have done anything on the Ballerina. I've had some other commitments but I'm back on it now.

I did get some things done today but unfortunately I can't post any pic's at the moment so you'll have to make do with text only!

Today I mounted the undercarriage. I've tried to keep it as simple as possible and as lightweight as possible too.
I have glued two pieces of birchply into the underside of the wing and used some spare 'struts' from my Parkzone Trojan.

I didn't get as much done as I would have liked but tomorrow I'm hoping to get most of the control surfaces hinged and the airframe almost completed.
Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics too.

Until then,
Happy building

Roaco

Hi all,

I'm back in the swing of things now yes

I have now glued up the entire airframe and it finally looks like a plane! I have some pics so, as usual, I'll explain them as I go...........

Starting with my undercarriage mounts.......

My spare PZ Trojan 'struts" and the mounting plates (which are hard to see because they blend in with the wood behind them!)............

dsc_0071e.jpg

I cut some holes in the wings to accomodate the mounting blocks and 'packed' them up from underneath with some foamboard pieces glued in place. The block are just glued into the holes and the 'strut' held inplace by the locating hole and a 'P' piece from my parts box that is normally used on aileron linkage torque rods............

dsc_0076e.jpg

Both sides glued in.........

dsc_0073e.jpg

On her new feet........

dsc_0072e.jpg

Front on (don't worry if they don't look symetrically centred, the fuse is just sitting on top of the wing for the pic)..........

dsc_0074e.jpg

This pic is showing how I use reinforced tape along the wing LE for some protection and strength...........

dsc_0077e.jpg

Here's a little trick I use to assist with wing flex. Particularly because the dihderal angle allows for them prefer to 'fold' during a turn. Because I don't really have a proper spar holding the wing in a solid angle (dihederal), there will be some flexing during banked turns. If you stretch out a piece of reinforced tape lengthwise along the wing and add some 'pre' tension to it so it is slightly pulling the wing tips down then the wings have to pull against each other (ie it is harder for them to naturally want to fold because of the tension of the tape underneath) when they flex under banking 'load', but It must be an unbroken single piece of tape from tip to tip to work best...........

dsc_0079e.jpg

to be continued..............

Continuing on............

I thought I'd give it a quick weigh. This is its AUW including battery. My guess is that it will be close to 600g once it's all glued up and has some paint put on............

dsc_0080e.jpg

I was also curious to really know how much weight I was removing when I take the paper off the foamboard. I weighed the complete tailplane (Vertical stab inc. rudder and Horizontal stab inc. elevator) with the paper on. 23g............

dsc_0082e.jpg

All the same bits with paper removed. 13g. My math ain't that great but I calculate that that is a 43-44% reduction in weight just by removing the paper. Please correct me if I'm wrong!...........

dsc_0086e.jpg

Now its back to 23g but.......there is a tailwheel attached and all control surfaces are hinged (with the reinforced tape) and there is a wire elevator joiner (not sure of the dia. but its thick enough to keep the elevator halves in sync with eachother)................ not bad me thinks!........

dsc_0087e.jpg

This is the total weight of the completed glued up airframe including the wheels, motor, spinner and canopy (what you will see in the next set of pics is 321g's worth) yes..............

dsc_0090e.jpg

Moving along to how she looks right now. I still have some things to complete the airframe but they are nothing more than some minor sanding here and there, just to finish it off.

Here's the pics............

dsc_0091e.jpg

dsc_0094e.jpg

dsc_0093e.jpg

dsc_0097e.jpg

Super sleek Reno racer style..........

dsc_0098e.jpg

Until next time,

Rosco smiley

Fine to have you back to the board, Rosco.

You know, it must have been a 'blond moment' but it's the first time I notice that the LE of your fin is not straight as per plan but has a rounded shape.

It looks good that way and reminds me of the tail end of the Stampe SR.7. If you promise not to tell anyone, I might copycat that for the Bella... wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Tail Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 04/04/2016 17:54:27

G'day all,

So.....I've started installing the electrics. I have the ailerons sorted and hopefully tomorrow I'll have the elevator and rudder sorted.

I can't add any pic's from my phone so unfortunately there are none see but I have taken some anyway. I will post them another time.

I'm happy with the progress but it is starting to get a bit wintery weatherwise. Hopefully I'll get a maiden flight in before winter sets in.

Until my next post,
Happy building to all.

Rosco

Hi all again.

Just a quick one on my thoughts.

I'm up to the stage of fitting the electrics, a part that I don't look forwards too often.

One reason is because it can be very fiddly and secondly I hate wiring that looks like spaghetti once it's tucked into the fuselage.

I try to make it as neat as possible but sometimes it just isn't possible.

This also brings me to the point about location of servos, RX, ESC etc.
These can make balancing a model easier or harder. By this I'm talking about having the servos at the rear or mid fuselage. I try where possible to keep them concealed also as opposed to being on the outside of the airframe.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to sort out the remaining electrics during my next 'building session' and have the Ballerina completed bar a glued on canopy and paint by the end of the week.

Fingers crossed all goes well.

Once again, unfortunately no pics yet but please do state tuned.

Until next time,

Rosco

@js1, I don't mind them on the outside but I try and avoid it if I can. I've had a few stripped when they catch on long grass where I fly.

@CB, Cheers. I think I'll stick to my usual profile pilot in the name of lightweightness! I might even fly it (make a profile pilot out of a pic of myself!)

Hi Rosco,

Regarding your 'profile' pilot, I should allow you without any problem to have a bit of 'Belgian advertisement' down there... surprise

gaston_lagaffe_sketch02.jpg

So, why not taking the profile of our Gaston? A bit of scale printing, a standard & a mirror view, possibly a piece of foam in between... and you get yourself an unique PIC... wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Profile Pilot Control