Rosco's Ballerina Build

Rosco

Here is my Ballerina onboard vid.
It is nothing fancy. I just flew her and did/tried whatever I felt like doing at the time. There is a moment or two when I was dogfighting with another plane that one of my flying buddies was flying. Aerobatic wise there is some basic stuff but please keep in mind that I am no fancy aerobatic flier and that I was just testing the Ballerina's capabilities.
You will find a loop or two, some knife edge and inverted flight. There is also an attempt to get her to spin and a stall turn, aileron rolls and a half cuban eight or two......
smiley

• 5 months later...
Unfortunately friends, I am sad to announce that my Ballerina has danced it's last dance.

I took her out for a fly today and sadly, she returned home with me unable to ever take to the sky again.

It was the 'last flight of the day' and after thoroughly enjoying her agile dancing through the air, I inverted her for a few circuits and 6FT off the ground, she took a turn for the worst and gravity took control. Funnily enough, it seems that the motor shaft snapped and this was the cause of her demise.

'motor shaft' breakage I hear you say? Well, let me explain.....

First of all, I have made several attempts at straightening the shaft before. Last night, I actually made another attempt at straightening it, even though it really did not need it! It was only slightly out of true.....I couldn't help myself.

I think it snapped because at the time of the crash, it literally dropped out of the sky....and I did for a second think it was unusual because it did nothing but just literally 'drop'. I also found the prop and spinner a short distance away embedded into the ground but no where near where the model landed....the model did go in nose first so I would have expected it to have been at the point of impact.
The motor shaft was also broken off right at the bell housing.
I suspect a microscopic fracture was at play....anyway..... The Ballerina is no more regardless.

After not liking the actual model aesthetics at the voting stage of the 2016 MB, it actually turned out to be a very enjoyable model to fly (and build, even if I did do it differently!).

Thankyou Mr Miller for a great flying model.

Rosco

... oops, Rosco... that's very sad indeed... sad

But if you liked to play with your Bellareno, couldn't you just build another one - even with a few improvements if you feel like - as I suppose you still have the templates to cut out the foamboard?

I finally started to build the Bella's wing but in Depron instead of the originally planned balsa construction.

Wishing you the best with whatever choice you intend to have, young man.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Choices Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 23/10/2016 17:19:32