A4 Skyhawk - Building tips and Plan queries

Hi Steve,

In the earliest kits, Traplet had marked out F2 on balsa sheet 2 but then failed to cut it with the laser. This was very quickly addressed with a separate sheet of balsa being added to the kit, with F2 cut into it before the profile was added to the existing sheet 2. I'm guessing Traplet (now Sarik) have forgotten they could now remove the extra piece of sheeting from the short kit... still - having TWO F2's is better than having NONE!

As for F9, its more of an end cap really than a former as its positioned onto the end of the fuselage sides - not between them. The fuselage shape is really governed by F8 at the back - once the corners are planed off and sanded round. But F9 is glued on square then sanded as shown below...

F8 profile...

45f8.jpg

F9 added to tidy everything up at the back...

f9 endcap 2.jpg

then planed...

45cut1.jpg

then sanded!

jetshroud 3.jpg

As for suitable pilot busts, Peter is correct - a number of us used the Real Model Pilots 1/12th scale Jet pilot which was perfectly sized for the small canopy... this is the 'do not exceed' dimensions if you go elsewhere...

pilot sketch.jpg

and here's the RMP 3D printed product which is perfect

jet pilot angled cut v2a (6).jpg

jesters in 1.jpg

Hi Phil.thanks for the info.I have found a pilot in my box of bits!
I have started the build.I have 2 sides ready for bulkheads to be fitted and joined.
I am looking to fit the wing dowel in a brass tube so that broken towels can be replaced easily.Stan Yep of Phoenix Model Products introduced me to this and it works really well with little weight gain.