Completed Ballerina's Gallery

Re. the Ballerina: the only thing I don't like about the engine installation is that the carb. needle is under the cowling, which could be a bit dodgy unless great care is taken!  Perhaps a 2-stroke engine is a better choice....

Edited By Kevinlad on 11/03/2016 20:54:41

Posted by Chris Barlow on 28/02/2016 21:36:55:
Posted by john stones 1 on 28/02/2016 20:30:11:

Elegant Chris yes

I can see why my scallops look small, I put 2 more than you on.

John

That's just greedy John! wink

Maiden video also posted here for anyone who hasn't seen it in my blog. yes

Very nice but WOT! No aerobatics?

Posted by Kevinlad on 11/03/2016 20:53:42:

Re. the Ballerina: the only thing I don't like about the engine installation is that the carb. needle is under the cowling, which could be a bit dodgy unless great care is taken! Perhaps a 2-stroke engine is a better choice....

Turn the carb round so the needle is on the other side - ie the top!

Posted by Kevinlad on 11/03/2016 20:53:42:

Re. the Ballerina: the only thing I don't like about the engine installation is that the carb. needle is under the cowling, which could be a bit dodgy unless great care is taken! Perhaps a 2-stroke engine is a better choice....

Can you turn the carb over and extend the needle adjuster through the top of the cowl?

Very nice combination there too.  A pretty Ballerina and a smooth tarmac runway! laugh

Edited By Chris Barlow on 13/03/2016 01:28:00

Posted by Peter Miller on 12/03/2016 18:16:44:
Posted by Chris Barlow on 28/02/2016 21:36:55:
Posted by john stones 1 on 28/02/2016 20:30:11:

Elegant Chris yes

I can see why my scallops look small, I put 2 more than you on.

John

That's just greedy John! wink

Maiden video also posted here for anyone who hasn't seen it in my blog. yes

Very nice but WOT! No aerobatics?

No Peter, just a gentle scale flight for the maiden just to see what falls off! Aero's on the second flight were very nice and relaxed! Love it. laugh

• 1 month later...

Here are the pre-maiden pictures of my completed "B" Ballerina, taken at the field just before aviation commenced, followed by the maiden video and report. Well, almost completed Ballerina - I still have to do the windscreen so will issue an updated picture then. Also, as predicted, I need a bit more cooling to the motor so the cowl will be developing some vents, probably semi-hidden by baffles, so once done I'll publish a modified completed picture.

dsc_0486.jpg

dsc_0487.jpg

dsc_0489.jpg

dsc_0491.jpg

dsc_0492.jpg

and here's the video. Sorry about the quality, it's just taken on a mobile phone and a very boring bit in the middle removed. You can see how the phone was struggling to focus on the aircraft, which is just a dot most of the time. No aeros on this maiden, purely a trimming flight.

AUPW is 3lb 14oz without battery, just a fraction over 5lb including battery.

For the maiden, I set the CoG on the point indicated on the plan, and with the batteries up against the firewall it balanced spot on. But on takeoff, it was found to be rather nose heavy and needed quite a bit of up trim (hence all the blips on the video near the start). Could move the batteries back a bit now, but after trimming it's a pussycat so not sure there's any need! We just flew around on the maiden, no aeros.

Second and subsequent flights - had about 5 now, 3 at lunchtime today (21st April) and a couple more this evening - started exploring its envelope a bit more. Rolls are easy and very axial, no problems, quite leisurely though on low rates (not tried high rates yet). Loops beautifully. The stall is a non-event really - just dips the nose a bit, no sign of a wing dropping. Spin was temporarily quite exciting - was quicker than I expected given the slowish roll rate, but it came out of the spin very easily and in the direction I wanted.  Landing was non-eventful, nice floaty landing. All in all a very easy plane to fly!

Motor gets a bit hot though, so I've kept each flight to 5 mins or less to minimise the chance of motor seizures. I'll be looking at more ventilation and perhaps swapping out some components if necessary for higher-rated ones. Full wack is pulling about 58A on 4S but the motor is only rated to 50A so need to fix that.

Thanks, Peter, for a spot on design!

Edited By Simon Feather on 21/04/2016 23:27:54

Edited By Simon Feather on 21/04/2016 23:31:24

Edited By Simon Feather on 21/04/2016 23:32:36

Posted by trebor on 22/04/2016 08:07:32:
Posted by David Hayward. on 19/03/2016 13:01:47:

Ok, I possibly got carried away; all the excitement of actually finishing but here are a few photo's...

p1020236.jpg

Nice, is that white pinstripe or film cover ?

It's mostly the self adhesive trim made by Solarfilm although the section on the other side which curves up and over I grafted in some pvc tape as the trim would not 'bend' even with heat.

Posted by Simon Feather on 21/04/2016 23:24:35:Motor gets a bit hot though, so I've kept each flight to 5 mins or less to minimise the chance of motor seizures. I'll be looking at more ventilation and perhaps swapping out some components if necessary for higher-rated ones. Full wack is pulling about 58A on 4S but the motor is only rated to 50A so need to fix that.

Congratulations on a successfull maiden Simon. It is fun to see how different character the model gets by a different theme/colour scheme.

With regard to your current consumption: if you have more than enough power you can solve this by just setting the travel on the throttle channel down to 80-90%. That will decrease the RPM, make the model even quieter and will give you longer flight times. And it saves you have to buy a new propeller. It is a trick regularly used by the IMAC and F3A pilots.

Regards, Lucas