Completed Ballerina's Gallery

With regard to your current consumption: if you have more than enough power you can solve this by just setting the travel on the throttle channel down to 80-90%. That will decrease the RPM, make the model even quieter and will give you longer flight times. And it saves you have to buy a new propeller. It is a trick regularly used by the IMAC and F3A pilots.

Regards, Lucas

That's exactly what I've done on my DB Tiger Moth. I changed the prop from a 13x4 to a 12x6 to try for more efficiency in flight at the expense of initial take -off acceleration and found I was drawing a bit too much current. I'm also on 4AH 4S LiPo and find the power more than adequate with a much heavier model (3.4 Kg approx) and so far just 6 or 7 minute flights.

Now I've got the Tiggie in the air (though not finished ) I can get on with MY Ballerina. I've got the wing finished but uncovered and the main parts for the fuselage cut out. It will be electric, like Simon's and also on 4S - the same batteries I use in my Tiggie, Limbo Dancer and Eezee Peezee. I like to limit my battery types in favour of quantity. Simon doesn't seem to be short of power so I'm inspired to get mine done.

btw Simon an electric motor is very unlikely to seize through over heating.  Over heating is much more likely to result in the winding failing as the wire heats up and partially melts.  Same result, of course, you need a new motor so a bit of extra cooling may be a good idea but limiting the current is even more important.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 22/04/2016 11:15:51

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,
I know some of you have seen this but there may be others who haven't. I think it's also appropriate to put in the 'completed' gallery as well as my build thread. It is not the maiden flight/s (that is in my thread). This vid is of the subsequent flights after making some adjustments...............please enjoy smiley
Rosco

Hi David,
Ha, ha... I'm sure you have one of those lights out your way too. It's probably just covered at the moment!

Down here in South Australia, its Autumn but we're having a little run of Spring type weather....our kind is sunny but with chilly mornings that warm up during the day a little. Ironically, after the motor went 'poooof' the wind picked up and I flew another model that I could harrier land in the breeze! I wish I'd filmed them, they were almost a vertical 'sink'!

Rosco

Maidened today and flies like its on rails, required a couple of clicks of up and right. Power is from a brand new SC36 which is being run a tad rich, that said I dont think I opened it right up, plenty of power to hand. Will try and get some flying shots, ground shots are off a phone, but plenty of light.

wp_20160508_002.jpg

wp_20160508_003.jpg

wp_20160508_004.jpg

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

A little taster for the Greenacres event in July, this weekend at Greenacres I saw a PAW Diesel powered Ballerina! laugh Had a nice chat to it's builder whilst flying and nearly crashed into it midair with my Miss America Mustang! blush I was trying to follow it so I could see it flying!

Look out for it in July. yes

Not sure Peter but from the prop size and flying speed I think it may have been a PAW 29 with rc carb. He did tell me but I was a bit distracted having nearly rear ended it and keeping a Mustang flying with 5 other planes in the air! He did say that he had a pair of them sitting on a shelf waiting to be used in something.

Flew and sounded great but a bit messy!

Edited By Chris Barlow on 22/05/2016 21:57:34

Flown today, I put c.g a 1/3 of chord, few clicks of aileron and elevator and it flew nicely, shot off the floor like a scalded cat, landing just line it up and reduce throttle, tweaked it a bit for second flight, put more aileron on, rolls nice, stall turns very crisp, loops nice and big, snaps/spins easy, let go comes straight out, never felt floaty to me, feels like a well balanced model, none of controls twitchy but models very agile. Well designed pretty model. Nice work Peter yes Pictures not much cop will get some video at open days hopefully.

Johnfield 005.jpgfield 009.jpgfield 012.jpg

Edited By john stones 1 on 28/05/2016 21:52:34