First heli someone moving from quadcopters?

David Hall 9

Hi, My return to RC models after many years away is going well. A bunch of cheap "toy grade" quadcopters have been enjoyable and helped me cope with a move to mode 2. A couple of fixed wing projects are in progress, but I have an urge to try helis.

So for someone who has some experience on quads (orientation, control inputs etc) is there a need to run a FP heli, or try out a CP version with some means of making it a little more docile?

(Thinking of the tiny V977 or the bigger ESKY 500 (flybarless)).

Grab a little v911 from eBay. A very cheap way of dipping a toe in the water. Get the hang of that and you will be ready to have a go at collective pitch. It will cost you less than a decent crash with a 450.

I don't have a nano but do have a MCPX and its a frisky little beast compared to say a Hubsan quadcopter. The v911 is robust and quite a lot of fun. It will be more lively than most mini quads, and [be warned] will leap to the left as you take off.

Edited By GrahamC on 25/02/2016 09:42:04

Edited By GrahamC on 25/02/2016 09:49:59

I had a couple of lessons on a Raptor 50 IC heli, and yearned for a heli of my own to practise on.

A guy from work suggested a Trex550 as it would be a stable model to learn with, I bought a used one, spent ages setting it up and have flown it twice (due to the weather and not having the time).

The same guy then suggested an MCPX which I bought. I flown it lots in the living room and conservatory (wife hasn't noticed the damage lamp shade yet) and I fly it in the garden on calm days. It's twitchy, but gave me confidence to fly the Trex550. Crash repairs (which are inevitable) are cheap and fast.

I'd recommend one-I went for the brushed model which is cheaper and apparently less twitchy.