Sparky

Jeremy Bright

Has anyone built and flown this vintage 1951 model designed by Harry Hundleby and featured in AeroModeller for January 1951 ?

It had a 48 inch wingspan, a short moment arm, a lifting tail section set at minus 2 degrees incidence and powered by a 1.5cc. Allbon Javelin diesel it was claimed that it was capable of penetrating a 40 mph headwind on rudder only control.

If you have built and flown it please let me know your impressions of its flying qualities.

Here is a picture of a very attractive electric conversion I discovered on another forum.

sparky.jpg

sparky.jpg

In the early 1960's a friend of mine Rodney Johnson built a Sparky. We took it to Epsom Downs with my Junior 60 and flew them both with single channel radio. Unfortunately on the Sparky's first flight Rodney forgot to switch on the radio and we both watched it disappear in a westerly direction. I cannot remember how long the plane was lost for, but it was recovered some days later in a poor state and never flew again. The PAW 1.49 that powered the plane was OK. So I can confirm the Sparky is a good free-flighter.

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 29/02/2016 12:17:11

Thanks Mike. It's reassuring to know that Sparky can fly unaided by radio interference. It is interesting that your friend put a PAW 1.49 in her because that is precisely what I intend to do. I am a diehard diesel fan and although I have an Allbon Javelin I want throttle control which the PAW has but the Allbon does not.

I shall be interested in how the plane flies Jeremy . As for an an Allbon Javelin which of course looks like an enlarged DC Dart, an old school friend from 1960 had a Javelin in a Mercury Marvin control liner. I can't understand why it was necessary to delete the Javelin and introduce the DC Sabre ?. Neither the Javelin or the Sabre were anywhere near as good as a PAW 1.49 in my experience. My original Junior 60 has a MK 2 ED Racer for power. I was fortunate in about 1976 to acquire an RC throttle and silencers for the Racer, I just need to finish re-furbishing the junior 60 for the new flying season..