John Rood's USA blog: A4D-1 (A-4A) Skyhawk, circa 1956, Southern California

Phil, thanks for that good and helpful feedback. All told, my little exercise there reveals:

1.) My existing template shape ideas will be fine and should fit your outlines well enough for my imaginary World Scale Masters Scale Fidelity Gestapo Irregulars!

and

2.) I have run out of excuses and I need to just SHUT UP AND BUILD IT!

idea

• 1 year later...

32a.jpeg

Back to work on the Scooter: Making the fuselage sides.

The above photo is just to show again the shortened nose profile for the A4D-1 (A-4A) and A4D-2 (A-4B) Skyhawks, which is the primary departure from the published A-4E/F Skyhawk design in this mass-build.

Today I prepared the 1/8th sheet balsa fuselage sides, and per our fearless leader Phil Cooke's mention on page 2 of his build, I've added an 1/8th inch or so to the height of the top piece that's added to each side sheet. I also lengthened it a tad, figuring I can always use a bit extra slack anywheres. So my top piece there are 1 and 3/8" high and 23 and 3/8th" long.

32b.jpeg

I've even remembered to add the small bottom bit at the wing TE:

32c.jpeg

So here is one entire side sheet where it'll be placed, taped together and ready to be flipped over and glued together. Early-on I was able to find two pieces of 4"x36" 1/8th balsa that are actually equal in weight; oh heavens... the gasping finesse of this build!

32d.jpeg

It is great to be back working on the project.

4a243c49-b748-4aee-b454-a1c09a6b32ef.jpeg

Wings:  

• Leading edges attached and shaped per the airfoil section.
  • Added a 3/8"x2" sheet additional balsa spacer over each servo bay, attached with med CA. Servos now fight reasonably snugly in each bay but with adequate room for the bearer screws and for easy removal.
  • Attached the laminated wingtips with JB Kwik, a fast-setting version of the JB Weld epoxy series. Care taken to align those tips properly with the specified airfoil washout, the tips' ply centerline in line with the proper section centerline.

Edited By John_Rood on 03/03/2018 01:05:36

Back to preparing the fuselage sides:

Now that the glue has dried, here are the two mirror-image sides of medium-grade 1/8th balsa sheet, placed here pretty much as they would line up along the fuselage plan. When assembling each of them this morning, I made sure to have the tape go on the OUTSIDE and the glue joint go on the inside.

I

2fadd64e-bc02-4abb-ad5b-c6104832e947.jpeg

Installing bulkheads 4, 5, 6, and 7 on the starboard fus side.

All that misc junk in there is "ART", I agree, but also it is a feeble and amateurish stab at keeping angles and things straight and true.

cocktailcocktail

And thanks, Phil, for the heads-up again about extending that 1/2" triangle stock to a bit forward of F4. Done!

Bulkheads_4_5_and_7.jpeg

Seafaring with the glorious HMS Skyhawk!

Ade, shush! I’ve seen the photos: your model is beautiful! Gutsy venture, to go with the two-seater and that unique colour scheme. Also, your made the deadline, whereas I am a year and a half tardy, and I still have a lot more work ahead!

😇

Tonight I've installed (with Super-Phatic wood glue) the 3/32" ply nose profile piece and the 1/2" soft balsa top decking, spanning bulkheads F4 thru F7.  

Ply_Nose_Installed_2.jpeg

I've not yet finalized the cross-section for the nose, so I postponed making a bulkhead to replace the A-4E/F "F1" bulhead until then.

Ply_Nose_Installed.jpeg

Gallons of wood glue drying there, it seems!  OOPS

Edited By John_Rood on 05/03/2018 23:53:20

Using wood glue, I attached the nose section, following closely what Phil laid out on page 2 of his Top Gun A-4E build blog.

Nose_grafted.jpeg

Apparently I need to get some larger clamps, some that will reach deeper in situations such as here. But I was able to secure the lower quarter or so of the sides via those red push pins and the usual finagling.

Happy that things seem square (so far!) and everything fits well, pretty much locking into place throughout. All feels mighty strong, too. Good job, designers!

• David Ashby - Moderator changed the title to John Rood's USA blog: A4D-1 (A-4A) Skyhawk, circa 1956, Southern California