Not another A4! (Blue Angel!)

Morning all.

Waiting on the arrival of a missing fuselage plan from Traplet and the rest of the wood from The Balsa Cabin and I will be cracking on!!!

I plan to complete my A4 in the Blue Angels livery so as to make it a little simpler to cover than some of my previous models!!

Looking forward to sharing idea's and maybe pilfering a few along the way!! hee hee!!!

I shall be starting with the fuselage, then onto the wing, and finally onto the covering and a little bit of detailing!

Dave

It's interesting to see 2 such different layouts of text under the wings in those two layout pics. Note, that with the slightly stretched wing, some creative licence may need to be taken in order to get the decals following the LE taper, but still staying "upright" as it were.

Cheers Steve, Will look at the same film so they look right!!

Postie has been this morning... Yes - Morning!! I was shocked as its normally mid afternoon when they come round here!!

A nice brown envelope addressed to me with replacement plans from Traplet after my kit arrived with 2 wing plans and no fuselage plan!!

So another step closer to starting... Just awaiting the arrival of the extra wood then its all GO!!!

Andy, You are right about the lettering on the underside of the wings... Luckily as I now have 3 wing plans, I can spare one of these for defacing to work the lettering out!!

Dave

Edited By David Gilder on 08/03/2016 11:21:51

Edited By David Gilder on 08/03/2016 11:22:36

I couldn't resist doing a little something earlier on so I spread out all the parts on the cleared workbench !

img_1008a.jpg

Then out came the plans for the fuselage along with a long rule and pencil!

img_1010.jpg

In readiness for the arrival of the extra wood needed (which should arrive either tomorrow or Thursday), I have extended the lines in order to make it easier to transfer the fuselage shape to the wood!

Now the eagle eyed amongst you may have noticed that at the picture of the kit parts layed out, there was a missing sheet!!!

Now that you have looked at the pic again, I can tell you it was the battery box parts!

As these can be put together without needing any of the extra wood, I have built this part.. In effect, this means that I have STARTED!!!!

img_1012a.jpg

So that's it now until the rest of the wood arrives!!!

Dave

For a giggle Andy I ordered some in both standards.. Got to give the shop person something to think about as they got it all together!! cheeky

Hope to have it ready for the June meet so I can get it maidened and become comfortable flying it.. You know how it takes me a while to get comfortable with a new model....!!!laugh

Quick update...

Parcel Farce tried to deliver my wood parcel today but as I was out they took it to the local post office instead of having a neighbour take it in!! (Neighbours both sides were in!!!)

So I will have to go collect it from the P.O. in the morning.

I hope to do a little tomorrow before work but cant wait for my next days of when I plan to really hit it hard and get most of the fus sorted!!!

Eyes on the prize!!!

Dave

Nice one Dave, great to see you underway with your A-4!! No prizes for finishing first though!! Best finished model, best flown model, best scale feature etc - sure, prizes for each - but not until September 11th wink

Will be good to see some models on the slope and test flown before the September event... I think the slopes are going to be hectic enough on the day with many maiden flights so it will be good to have some pre-flown examples to show us how its done!

Having collected the parcel of wood from the Post Office, I spent a few minutes sorting through the order which I have to say was nicely taped into bundles of the same sizes which made the task of sorting too easy!!

Prior to heading off to work, I cut the extra part needed at the top of the fuselage sides, glued and taped these together and then left them compressed to dry whist I went to earn some pennies to pay for all the wood!!!

Stupidly, I forgot to take a picture of this but I know other have in their blogs so I wont worry about that!!

Now then.... As I work shifts the available times in the workshop vary greatly!

Currently, this time has been at a premium due to having to assist my wife who dislocated her kne cap 6 weeks ago and is still in a leg brace and using crutches!

This has meant that I have been completing the majority of the house work along with walking 2 sled dogs and work so I have to grab workshop time when I can.... Why am I telling you this???? Well

I finished work at 0200 this morning and once home it was perfect time to get in the workshop and do a bit more!

So.... The next bit is done!!!

I marked out the fuselage shape using extended lines I had drawn on the plan, then cut along these lines (with the guidance of a straight edge) to reveal a fuselage side.

This was then traced around to ensure that both sides were exactly the same!

Once this was done, I spent some time marking out all the former lines, wing recess, air intake former cut outs etc etc etc, ensuring that I marked out for a left and right side!!!!

dsc_0081.jpg

So there we go..... Its now time to get some shut eye ready for another day!! Might get a bit more done before and after work tonight but all depends how tired I am!!

Stay tuned!!!

Dave

Edited By David Gilder on 11/03/2016 03:56:07

Back again!!

Well I havn't got quite as much done as I had hoped on my 2 days off so here goes anyway!

Not much like I said!!

Only joking!!

Here's a picture I forgot... All the extra wood arriving (with a few extras I needed thrown in, but mostly for the A4!)

dsc09964.jpg

So with the fuselage sides already cut out and marked up, It was on with the triangular stock, Wing seat doubler & Forward fuselage doubler, ensuring I still had a left and right side!!

Alas, My eagerness to keep building meant that I forgot to take a picture!!! Never mind.. You can seethem in the later pics!!

A dry fit of F4,5 & 7 showed an issue on all 3 former's... To small in the height department!

Some balsa strip and cyano soon sorted that out though!!

These former's were then glued onto 1 side and pinned up squarely then left to dry.

Whilst these were drying, I started to put the pin and tailplane parts together.

All this can be seen in the following!

dsc09968.jpg

You will also note the nose section and F1 set and glued up ready!!

That's where I left it yesterday.

On to today and a bit more done!

The rest of the fin and tailplane are glued.

A quick trip to Screw Fix to purchase some clamps (as seen in Phil Cooke's build blog) which happen to be on an offer currently of 2 for £10 I had to get 4 obviously!

image.jpeg

With these to hand and some blocks to spread the load, F6 was glued into place and the 2 sides were brought together.

dsc09971.jpg

Unfortunately, I was a little over zealous when clamping around F7 and it buckled slightly and split!

Strangely, I didnt hear it go and only found it after the glue had set and the clamps were being taken off!

No problem..

A bit of glue in the break and a clothes peg to hold it together and in line and jobs a good 'un!!

dsc09981.jpg

So that's it so far!

Not as much as I had hoped to do but not to shabby all the same!

Its back to work tomorrow so unlikely to get much done for a few days now!

Dave

Glad to hear it Steve... Get your blog started!!wink

Phil & Chris. Thanks for the boost.. I actually had hoped to have more done but I suppose for just 2 days, its quite a leap forward!!thumbs up

Its likely to be Sunday when I next have a chance to do anything due to work and birthday celebrations this Saturday (working nights Monday on my actually Birthday!!) crying

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is it really 2 months since I wrote anything on here? Ooops!!!

Well as those of you who saw me at the weekend will have gathered, things are still quite hectic here with Jessica's injury so spare time for me is rare!

I have however been managing to catch a little bit of workshop time so the build has continued slowly!!

So.

The nose section and battery box were attached together and then to the already assembled fuselage sides!

dsc01150.jpg

and after some careful wetting of the sides, the upper sides around the cockpit were pulled in and glued up!

dsc01167.jpg

And then not forgetting a little soak up and pull in at the rear end!!

dsc01173.jpg