Solent Sailplanes Ridge Racer

in case its of any interest,l have an original fuselage for a MINI RACER from solent sailplanes......l also have some info regarding wing sections etc.......if there are any competent mould makers out there l would be willing to make my grp fuselage availiable to produce a mould from,it isnt a full size ridge racer l know,but its maybe the next best thing!!!,pm me if there is any interest,....jack.

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 24/12/2020 05:59:26:

Perhaps you could try contacting John Woodfield as he may have a plan or at least created his own plan as he most likely built the model in the video. At any rate he may be of some assistance. Nice video anyway and post some details if you have any success.

I have just noticed that he replied to one of the uTubers questions that he 'doesn't know much about it as he got if from a swap meet!' It has a balsa fuselage though, so not an original kit.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 24/12/2020 06:06:14

Hi Piers, Yes. That was me! John knows little about it sadly.

Hi David, sorry I didn't realise it was you, I should have suspected as much.

Yes, John kindly offered to scan and send me the plan pdf in the New Year and in that case I will forward it to Outerzone for inclusion in their database.

As far as re-moulding a fuselage is concerned it sounds ambitious Jack. What is the span of the Mini Racer from Solent Sailplanes?

Hi everyone, there is a gentleman that lives in South Wales that occasionally makes and sells the fuselages of the Mini Racer and Ridge Racer on EBay from the original molds ! He worked for Tony Baker from Solent Sailplane and then for the company that took SS over. When they eventually went bust he took most of the original molds with him !! I have a plan of the Mini Racer as well as the Ridge Racer !!

Posted by Mike T on 27/12/2020 16:34:13:

steve1590 is the guy you are looking for. A friend got the RR fus. earlier this year and it was very nicely done. He's not listing fus'es at the moment, but in the listing linked, he does state that he can make to order and put you in touch with a wing man (which I think is Billkits)

HTH

It’s Phillip at Cloud models that does the wings although I am sure Billkits can as well, Phillip has them on file and can cut with servo in the centre or 2 servos, 1 in each half like I have with mine.

Posted by Maurice Dyer on 27/12/2020 23:23:16:

Feeling melancholy tonight: isn't it sad how we have to rely on A to contact B who knows someone who knows C and can make a copy of a copy etc etc. I think the 1970s/80s were the hiatus for the hobby. Certainly for Aeromodellers as opposed to fliers.

I know how you feel Maurice. I left the hobby in 1980 and came back to it this year. Things have certainly changed in those 40 years. Mind you, I never did like plastic fuselages and foam wings so maybe I left at the right time. I'd much rather build a balsa version of the ridge racer than have ready made glass and foam. I'm just thankful that I can still buy balsa wood, well, just about. The news on that isn't too good either.

Nevertheless it's still a great hobby and some of the changes have been fantastic. Like modern RC gear: I shall never again have to suffer a crash because of some twit with an American CB radio! The 'good old days' were not all good. Right now I'm enjoying the hobby immensely.
I hope you do too asap.

David

Posted by Maurice Dyer on 27/12/2020 23:23:16:

Feeling melancholy tonight: isn't it sad how we have to rely on A to contact B who knows someone who knows C and can make a copy of a copy etc etc. I think the 1970s/80s were the hiatus for the hobby. Certainly for Aeromodellers as opposed to fliers.

I've had several goes at trying to respond to this, but I have to concede - words fail me...

• 3 months later...

Hi there "Nostalgia Guys"

I'm in my 70s but only started RC flying about six years ago. ( A late starter)    Anyway, two or three years ago I was given a slope soarer (with a  towing hook fitted. I don't know what the name of the model is, but it seems to be all original.

It has an all glass fuse measuring 43.5 inches from tip of the nose to trailing edge of the elevator.

It has fully glassed polystyrene core wings, of 74.25 inches span. 

It has ailerons which are "solidly" linked and driven by one servo which drives an "L" shaped hook soldered to the stranded Bowden cable, which is still wworking.

How is the servo arm configured to operate this bowden hook arrangement, I wonder???

How tricky might it be to fit separate servos into the wings??? How to get the servo leads there???

Go With the Flow

Bruce

4 hours ago, Bruce Austin said:

Hi there "Nostalgia Guys"

I'm in my 70s but only started RC flying about six years ago. ( A late starter)    Anyway, two or three years ago I was given a slope soarer (with a  towing hook fitted. I don't know what the name of the model is, but it seems to be all original.

It has an all glass fuse measuring 43.5 inches from tip of the nose to trailing edge of the elevator.

It has fully glassed polystyrene core wings, of 74.25 inches span. 

It has ailerons which are "solidly" linked and driven by one servo which drives an "L" shaped hook soldered to the stranded Bowden cable, which is still wworking.

How is the servo arm configured to operate this bowden hook arrangement, I wonder???

How tricky might it be to fit separate servos into the wings??? How to get the servo leads there???

Go With the Flow

Bruce

That's how the servo linkage for the ailerons on my Ridge Racer was done. It's just an L-shaped tang of wire soldered and bound to the Bowden cable. That fits through the servo arm with the servo lying on it's side. I was going to replace that with a pair of miniservos- one in each wing, but in the end I was able to get it working okay. I cn post a picture of the linkage if that would help?

OTOH if you wanted to do the mini servo in each wing, you already have a ready made pull through in the form of the Bowden cable and tube.

Ah, now I see what you've done, Leccyflier. I like that ply "insurance".

I did a dry mockup direct to the servo arm, just like you, and i was a wee bit concerned about keeping the servo tight in place.

I must admit that I prefer separate servos for my ailerons. That gives a lot more flexibility for flight modes.

But then, I suppose, that when this plane was born, there was a limit to  the number of radio channels, and still be able keep the hobby affordable.

I have a Taranis Plus which gives me all the channels I need, and the receivers can be very compact indeed.

Go With the Flow

Bruce