Warbird Replicas Ju88 Night Fighter build

Ady Hayward

Chaps , the new forum system has deleted most of my PMs . 

Although I know who you are , can the following send me a Pm with an email address please . 

Murat , Keiran , Maurice , Chris and Stephen . 

I probably have got some of you details from previous kits , but I dont want to go trawling through the records as it may lead to a mistake . 

Richard 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Robson said:

Hi Ron, the JU88 cowls are 116mm diam. the smallest Laser available is 98 mm from centre to top so that is 40 mm sticking out, no cooling problems there but vastly overpowered. 

A pair of 52s is what I’m fitting. 

Hi Folks. Just chipping in. I found mine to be the sweetest twin I've ever flown and on the electric motors recommended has no shortage of power and flies well on one engine as I found out and the rudder is amply powerful to hold things straight. A video was posted of it in flight which you may have seen before: 

• Like 3

Thanks Ady. I love that landing halfway through . Fritz and Herman put her down like a feather .Plus the stills at the end are stunning . 8LB flying weight !! Very impressive . 

This time we shall see some Bomber Versions too . I didnt intend that when I designed the kit , but now they have forced me to make the canopy and nose glazing , I am looking forward to some "Schnell Bombers" !

• Like 1

After a bit of hunting around the web I have selected my colour scheme and fits in with antlers and fighter criteria. 

For those that are thinking IC I have thought about this option and when considering its AUW on electric its going to come out with a acceptable wing loading (yes cold digress into cubic wing loading debate if needed) which is a tried and tested performance including flight duration. Don't get me wrong I an all up IC warbirds, but I am not sure this will end up quite as expected compared with the electric version.

Having build the Ta 154 as IC there may well be some considerations and challenges that are not apparent at the start of your project that come around to bite you later

• The nacelles look quite long which is ok for the light electric motors but might give you a forward C of G like my Ta 154
  • The Ta 154 has a short wing to tail distance and this compounds the forward C of G issue, not sur about the JU88
  • Increased AUW will load the airframe and UC with additional stress that could be avoided with electric

Now you could just make the tail heavy, but this is going to just add to the AUW.

There is a solution and that is to add a sound system which is available if you want noise with the bird.

Good luck with whatever you choose and all the best with the build.

image.png.c668239c6837282aa3f2873b3ce0d025.png

PM's sent to Glynn and Richard as requested with details.

• Like 1

I have sent out three so far but , will hold the others pending decals . They will go out monday/tuesday . 

For the Bomber boys , it is worth noting that the kit is fundamentally the Night Fighter Variant , but on this run , I have made up some Roy Scott (he did a bomber plan man year ago )  Canopies and Nose blisters . That should convert the Ju88 G6  to A4 Bomber . I have also included the Roy Scott fin drawings so that you can modify the fin to the more rounded shape . The early night fighters also had the round fin .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am probably going to say this a few times to remind people .

The new heavy duty retracts travel through 100 degrees . You can choose where to employ your extra 10 degrees of travel by bending the wire coil spring a small amount . DO NOT do this in the unit . Remove the leg by taking out the shortest pivot screw ( which also retains the leg ) and put the top end in a vice, then give it a gentle shove . 

The units will absorb a large amount of abuse in the down position but if you bend the leg while retracted , it is likely that you will "Un - adjust " the hockey stick driver and then you will have to set up the whole unit again . 

The units need to shoved up high in the nacelle , which will need the bottom wing skin nibbled away at the front and where the wheel retracts . 

I would aim for 5 degrees forward rake . 

All this will become obvious once the build leaders get to that point . 

All excited again. I’m guessing that the extra 10 degrees of travel is a result of us coming out of lockdown?

Your instructions about leg adjustments remind me of my uncle Ted, we used to have do something similar to his artificial leg otherwise he would walk round in circles.

• Like 1

Guess what arrived today ?

Der Bomber ist gerlandet

Here is what you get (or didn`t if you were too slow and missed out) a large well packed box full of modelling goodness. Not unpacked it all yet but first impressions are WOW, many, many thanks to Richard for getting these done and to Glynn for the bespoke decal set, i am very, very impressed with what i have seen so far. Mine will not be started till the autumn due to a car restoration project but i am already looking forward to putting this together over the winter months and will be following others builds who will probably be in the air before i commit aliphatic to wood. Come on guys, i know several of you have yours, any balsa bashing going on yet?

IMG_20210414_203230_resized_20210414_083407024.jpg

IMG_20210414_203330_resized_20210414_083406084.jpg

IMG_20210414_205008_resized_20210414_085023397.jpg

Edited by martin collins 1
  • Like 1