Engine projects

jeff2wings

So during a tidy up of the workshop I found some boxes with some forgotten engines in need of attention, a couple had some work done on them but got left to one side because the old Myford needed a rebuild first, now that’s done (a project in itself !) and not having any where to fly, I think it’s time to mangle metal !

first up is the Merco that I wanted to give a the look of a old "sparky" engine

imga0999.jpg

imga0998.jpg

imga0009.jpg

Well the merco was a straight forward job to do as I started with a complete engine, the next one however, was not. It came to me from a club mate’s estate, he had told me it was a Rossi 61, however I think it’s a 45 heli/DF engine. After striping and (a lot of ) cleaning, the bearings replaced, I had to make a cylinder head and prop driver with its split taper collar.

imga0995.jpg

ready to go together

imga0996.jpg

ready to run ! that's the original head next to it.

imga0011.jpg

imga0012.jpg

So starting with the one in the lower left of the picture, that looks to be a mid ‘70s model before it was phased out in favour of the FS model that it ran along side with for a time. After striping it down and cleaning, time to get that flange off frown

imga0007.jpg

DOH !! some people should have their tools locked away angry ! Well luckily there is a undamaged case for this model on the right of the picture,this is when experience and a good eye help when buying a job lot of bits like this.

So overall the rest of the engine is in very good shape , I had to swap the (correct) front case from the blue engine ,then a good polish and.....................

imga0016.jpg

imga0017.jpg

And so onto the next one!.

Thanks for the interest, John to be honest since losing our flying site a couple of years ago, the ME side of things has started to take more of my time, I’m still building planes but there’s no rush to finish them.sad

Percy, 5 engines 2 carbs! This was the only one I had that fitted.

Pete, yep, got a soft spot (between my ears) for HP’slaugh

Bert,I think the black and gold finish gave it the extra power wink

imga0002.jpg

next will be the Mk 1 that's in the middle.

Really?? I have no idea what was in the mind of the person who inflicted such engineering muppetry on these fine engines, general rule of thumb, modify the silencer/manifold to fit the engine, not the other way round!!.

So once it’s dismantled, on too the lathe and mill off the flange.

imga0030.jpg

imga0031.jpg

Yes, I know I'm climb milling indecision

imga0034.jpg

smileyyes

Hi Percy, I think they were more aimed at the collector as it’s far from a practical power unit for aircraft being long, heavy and a bit rev happy, I think I remember seeing a picture in a mag of one fitted in a large “flattie” boat with twin tuned pipes, must have been an impressive sight going flat out across the water.smile o

Ah yes, the open front no loss (apart from your flying field) silencer, brilliant.Not the  best of ideas frown

Well in the end I had to do very little to engine No 4, just an external clean and I swapped over cylinder heads, putting the one with missing fins on it as this will be my “user “.The only thing I needed was a carb so looking in my “it might come in handy” box I found an old Irvine job.

imga0053.jpg

A bit of work on the lathe

imga0058.jpg

imga0055.jpg

imga0054.jpg

Not bad ,4 HP 61 's total cost £53 smiley !

Next I will be doing something with these

imga0081.jpg

Edited By jeff2wings on 29/03/2016 21:42:01

I too remember those venturi 'silencers'. The one that came with the HP61 that I had was fitted from new with a domed cap at the front making it quite a reasonable silencer for the day. Right up until the cap came loose and it reverted to being a performance boosting open front venturi - what a racket! As I recall, airflow through the silencer caused a negative pressure assisting with exhaust scavenging and allowing higher revs - making them popular with the racing crowd until the noise complaints started.

As for the Meteor in the photo, I still have my old 40, and the P&R silencer I used with it after the silencer bolt holes stripped in the cylinder. The bearings and compression were still good the last time I looked at it.

Bob, this was a short lived (thankfully)fad in the early 70’s as a result of I think of the FAI requiring pylon racers to fit silencers resulting in this “work around” interesting to note that OS and Enya never offered this type for their engines. The Meteor 40 is on my hit list!

David, Meteors were a good alternative to the Merco and were used to good effect by Terry Cooper in his bulldog and super bulldog aerobatic models, although I think he used a Kavan pressure injection carb and pipe to make it go

imga0060.jpg

So as I have some Meteors in my collection I fancy doing a “special”just for fun

imga0061.jpg

more anon...............................

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing wrong with climb milling, frequently used in industry as it gives a longer cutter life, especially when roughing cast steels. You can often achieve better finishes too! But on the other industrial CNC machines have the stability and minimal backlash to be able to handle it.

Shaunie.

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly my 45+ year old used and abused myford has a bit more than minimal backlash LOL !So I have made a start on the crankshaft while I wait for the bearings to arrive, actually started this a couple of weeks ago using a (large) bolt I had to make it from .However, I just could not get a clean cut no matter what I did and I was rapidly running out of material!

100_4952.jpg

In desperation, I made this setup with a handy lump of ally and a old Dremal to try grinding to size

100_4955.jpg

100_4960.jpg

WOW it actually worked !!smile o

• 5 weeks later...

Well not much done these last few weeks due to the lathe going tec but fixed again (for now) so on with the front housing.

100_4961.jpg

BTW this is not the original block I started with, the crankcase register was a bit under size so that will be the rear cover/intake

100_4974.jpg

Front bearing recess left .1mm under size

100_4977.jpg

100_4976.jpg

that's all the turning done just the screw counter bore and milling round the out side edges

100_4978.jpg