Engine projects

jeff2wings

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So after searching the web and other forums, I got zero info on this engine frown so I think it's time to have a look at the insides of this mystery engine

img_20160904_205232.jpg

imga0235.jpg

imga0233.jpg

imga0238.jpg

yes,it's a front rotary disc inlet,most people will have seen a rear rotary disc valve (that I will be using on the meteor above) but this is most unusual,although if you the name E.T.Westbury probably less so.Will screw it back together and see how it goes .

Edited By jeff2wings on 12/08/2018 14:55:11

Posted by jeff2wings on 12/08/2018 14:53:38:

So after searching the web and other forums, I got zero info on this engine frown so I think it's time to have a look at the insides of this mystery engine

It might be worth contacting this chap - a veritable mine of information on such things. His website is well worth spending some time on.

Go to:
http://adriansmodelaeroengines.com/catalog/main.php

Mention my nme by all means.

Edited By Geoff Peacock on 12/08/2018 17:23:03

Thanks for that Geoff,I have come across Adrians site before but others may enjoy looking at his excellent engine library yes

Yes onetenor,home built for certain,the patterns for casings are well done although the casting not so good surface finish,also the crankshaft is made in three pieces.

So,no sooner than I mention Mr Westbury and up pops on e-bay for sale a Westbury 5 cc KESTREL with front rotary valve smile o !!s-l1600 (11).jpg

s-l1600 (13).jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I'm in getting closer to possibly finishing this project smile o it might even run !imga0372.jpg

so after some nerve-wracking milling and turning I have this yes ,the crank pin will be a press fit in silver steel of .250 inch o/d,the meteor one is 7 mm so that means I will need.................

imga0369.jpg

a new conrod !

imga0370.jpg

if nothing else,it will make a nice paper weight laugh

Edited By jeff2wings on 29/09/2018 18:42:54

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=2Hq6W83ZNYrIgAblnYuwBg&q=making+model+aircraft+canopies&oq=canopy+moulding&gs_l=psy-ab.1.4.0i71k1l8.0.0.0.25636.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.F7xtsbrq1Vg

https://www.manomano.co.uk/miscellaneous-multi-tool-accessories/rotary-tool-rubber-polishing-point-set-6pce-6mm-dia-6432568

These rubber buffs are great for ali. but the ones in the pic are actually stones . Wrongly packaged . my 2nd order for the rubbers ----which are black ---arrived as the blue stones despite saying rubber on packs.. Gone back with returns label. Other brands may be available. Also felt tips not shown and others which are shown

Give 'em a try

John( Engine polishing Dep't)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted by paul coleman 1 on 24/03/2019 17:13:06:

jeff i take it you are an engineer,that test stand looks the dogs pal,excellent, i see your into your bikes too,so i suppose that comes in handy when it comes to engines,well done,good job.

Well sort of,I'm a welder/fabricator by trade but after 40 years in the industry you pickup other skills along the way like milling /turning ,but I'm no expert,just an enthusiastic amateur !

Yes that's a radial mount for larger engines and I will be looking into a fixed tacho.

Just finished off a OPS 40 SLA that a very generous member on this forum gave me along with a Meteor 40 for

restoration.

As it came out the box

imga0349.jpg

imga0350.jpg

imga0351.jpg

and now

imga0012.jpg

imga0017.jpg

imga0021.jpg

imga0018.jpg