Micron PL7d

gangster

Hey I had a Gangster in early days. Think Ripmax? Flew well. So good to hear that some of the 'soldering set' are still alive and kicking! I too' Gangster', have lots of getting projects ready for flying but these days it never seems to happen. Not like the old days when I was out three times a week flying. 2.4 look the way ahead but if you think about it, that leaves the 35Meg band more safe?

I'm glad Terry has joined in because it gives me an opportunity to say thanks for all the DIY kits you produced, which helped add another dimension for the 'makers' in the hobby, as well as make it more affordable.

I was sorely tempted by the RM Digicon set, but I reluctantly decided I couldn't trust my rotten luck and even worse soldering skills to a project of that scale, so bought the Fleet XP/FM, a near equivalent.

But I did buy/build the full-size and micro rxs, together with the brushed speed controller and several BECs. All great fun and very easy to do, though younger 20:20 vision and use of a strand of copper earth wire as a soldering bit helped a lot!

Ta very much Mike but in those days anybody could have done what my wife and I did. Packs of Electronic components were extremely cheap compared with the ready made R/C systems of those days so we just enjoyed the moment. And being an aeromodeller it all worked brilliant. (and I could get out flying (testing stuff!) three times a week.

it is so good to us to see you Guys still talking about 'Micron' which is now almost half a century old. I am quite amazed that we are still talking about it here.

• 2 years later...

Hi to any Micron afficianados,

I'm currently putting together a PL7-D kit which includes a 35mhz Tx & Rx with 4no bb servos. I started on the servos and the 1st 3 work fine (on a modern servo tester). The 4th one drives to a position and then just jitters. I can't see anything wrong with the soldering and I've triple checked that all the components are correct and the right way round. The pot and wipers all appear ok. Anyone have any ideas?

Wow that’s fantastic that you have 40 year old pl7d kits. Just a thought with your servo. If I recall those bb servo kits were a pain to let in the cases. Just a thought remove the motor or a gear. Turn the pot and see if you get thr

motor to stop or slow. Then move the stick and see if motor slows or stops. Or even speeds up. This will indicate proper operation now get the motor or gears back in

Thanks for the previous advice re the servo. I decided to build everything else before working anymore on this (I'll work through the suggestions as the next job). So, lots of soldering done, a suprisingly successful outcome and I now have an operational tx, rx and 3 servos. The 4 primary controls work great. I've just got to make uo and install the 3 aux switches and put the stickers on. The only difficulty is that I could do with a few of the 3 pin plugs for the extra channels for the servo leads. They are 3 pin with one of the pins spaced a bit furher apart than the other 2 - does anyone know if they are still available, what thy're called or where to get them?

• 1 year later...

Sorry to reply to this topic so late - only just renewed my subscription after some years - but, by any chance, does anybody have unused PCBs for the Micron/RM Digicon plug-in mixer cards?    There was a Vt delta flp car and a DIF AIL CAR pcb . 

I built the system from the Radio Modeller articles in the 1980s and still have it.  I was using it for driving a boat around at a lake here in Canada a few years ago.  It always bothered me that I had not "finished" the system by making the plug-in mixer cards, so I am now looking into it. (Covid boredom triggered it.)

I have found a source for most of the components, although the Piher potentiometers no longer have the reformed lead versions to match the PCB holes, only the 5mm spacing type; those would do though.

I  cleaned up one of the pcb images from the magazine article (in MS Paint!) and sized it to fit my transmitter encoder board, but now it seems a huge headache to make the pcb. I haven't masked and etched a pcb for many years!  (Don't have any supplies either.)

Maybe, I thought, someone has had both of these tucked away for years and never used them?   It's worth a try asking.

Cheers,

Chris

ActSize2 Micron DeltaFlpCar MixerPCB.bmp DifAilCar MixerPcb--uncleaned.bmp

Edited by Chris Downing