UKCAA Skegness - 17th April

Martyn K

This will be emailed out to members shortly but for general info.

We are holding the first of the 2016 Events at a private airfield just outside Skegness. Attendance is restricted to UKCAA members only (landowner restriction).

The field will be available from 10:00 until we get fed up or dark but usually wrap up about 17:00. I have booked the weather, it will be Calm, Warm and Sunny (so I have been assured)

The format of the day is a combined Fly-in and our First official contest to Schedules for Novice and Advanced.

The morning session will be a mix of fly-in and trimming sessions plus coaching for Novice flyers from the Advanced flyers with demonstrations and a gentle critique of your flying.

Lunch (a BBQ will be laid on - I need to know if you are attending so I can arrange food). from 12:00 onwards followed by a 2 round Advanced contest and a 1 round Novice contest. We are expecting that there will be time for non competitive flying during the afternoon and will arrange the programme accordingly.

There will also be a Concours event for the best turned out model. Flyers will select this model by the usual democratic process. Chairman has the casting vote but can't vote for his own model.

If you are planning on attending, please let us know by email: [email protected]

We can also keep you informed of any last minute changes. Directions and field location will be supplied by email to registered flyers.

Not sure what we are doing about prizes yet but we will think of something.

See you there

Best wishes

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...

HI to all who came.

I would like to start by saying sorry about the wet ground, i did not know it was that wet or i would have told Martyn to send a email out to bring some "wellis"!

Thanks once again to Bill Marsden for getting the field sorted out at such short notice, not forgetting Martyn for being a good sport and supplying plenty of grub thanks for that.

It was good to see we had some new members getting into the spirit of things.

I think the format of showing what we need to do in the novice and expert was good

I would like to say thanks to Brian Ball and Bill ? for helping me with my first "called flight"

Over all it was one of the best UKCAA meetings yet

Graham

I have to admit that I was VERY nervous about this event. In the end I was absolutely delighted. As Graham mentioned, it was a bit muddy/splashy getting from the cars to pits and flight line but we all seemed to manage.

There were about 20 fliers present with another 15 spectators and helpers.

I counted 37 different airframes - and I am pretty sure that I missed some.

We were all very well behaved, I hope no-one got food poisoning.

The weather goddess delivered the weather forecast as I specified.

Some photos. Once again - and despite my best intentions, I didn't take as many photos as I intended.

pict1816.jpg

Bill Michie's beautiful Dirty Birdy

pict1818.jpg

In flight

pict1823.jpg

That was close...surprise About half a second too late with the photo...

pict1825.jpg

Sorry - forgotten whose Bullet this was..

pict1834.jpg

Sam Wragg and Bill Michie at the start of the Novice Demo flight

pict1844.jpg

Minty Morton's Pacemaker

pict1850.jpg

Sam Wragg with his stunning Lightning. Maidened on the day and flew fantastically.

pict1856.jpg

Minty and his 'Dad' Christian Anderson prepping for Christian's Novice Schedule flight

pict1843.jpg

The mandatory Group Photo - with a few faces missing.

pict1851.jpg

Can anyone identify this airframe? The 'Horus' is a pseudo name until the owner can find out what it really is.

Thanks to all for attending. I think its probably fair to say that this has to have been one of the biggest collection of Classic Airframes ever seen (and flown) in one day. EVER.

Hopefully see you all again at Watford. May 15th

Martyn

Hi All,

Firstly I would like to thank everyone for a great day and a great event. Secondly I would like to thank everyone for the kindness and hospitality they showed myself and my father. We both had a great day with some good laughs and BBQ. And look forward to the next event where I will be flying...

Cheers

Adam

I'd also like to offer a huge Thank You to everyone involved in organising/preparing & running the event. thumbs up

I haven't been able to attend one in a long time so was great to see so many enthusiasts there. Yes the field was very wet & soggy but in spite of that, everyone seemed to have a great time.

A special word of thanks too, to both Martyn and Brian B, for the loan of tuned-pipes as some plonker forgot to pack them with the rest of the stuff in the car!blushembarrassed It enabled me to have several flights & enjoy the day. The weather was as good as it'll ever be in April too.

A great day enjoyed by all!

Bill

Christian has kindly provided me with some more photos.

No captions - well, perhaps one or two. They give a good flavour of the event.

dscf2090.jpg

dscf2092.jpg

Is that runway long enough for you?

dscf2094.jpg

It doesn't really have a bend in the middle, but it does show just how much space we are fortunate to have.

dscf2095.jpg

Wolfgang Matt's Superstar - 1972 - Marc Green - but it exchanged hands on the day I believe.

dscf2097.jpg

Spectre - Martin Fox's I believe

dscf2098.jpg

Calypso - Hanno Prettner's 'simple' design that followed the Curare and Magic. Graham Fox

dscf2099.jpg

Another of Bill Michie's models I think - the PB Tornado - available as a kit

dscf2100.jpg

Chill out time

dscf2104.jpg

Prettner's Curare. I think this one is Sam Wragg's. There were a few there.

dscf2105.jpg

There were aircraft everywhere..

dscf2106.jpg

I will not be identified

dscf2108.jpg

Minty and Pacemaker

dscf2113.jpg

From the car park

Thanks Christian

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 18/04/2016 15:06:01

Graham Fox has provided me with some photos as well:

wp_20160417_10_47_40_pro.jpg

Martin Fox apparently trying not get his feet wet. 2 days of very heavy rain and left rather a large water logged area. The impressive Fox collection of Classic airframes.

wp_20160417_10_48_28_pro.jpg

Steve Burgess designed Challenger with the Prettner Calypso in the rear.

wp_20160417_11_18_18_pro.jpg

One of the winter projects - a Wolfgang Matt Smart Move II

wp_20160417_11_18_30_pro.jpg

Sam Wragg's Curare - in its landing state. Flaps down ailerons up to help slow the model up a bit

wp_20160417_13_27_48_pro.jpg

Another view from the pits. It really was a magical day.

Martyn

Hi All,

My first event, and thoroughly enjoyed itsmiley

Thanks to all involved, really set me up to attend more this Year..and get building. The red 'bullet' is mine, sorry Bill I don't think it was as close as the photo suggests (I hopecrook). Thanks to Brian Ball for calling out the schedule - much appreciated.

Hope you enjoyed the CG Skylark twin!

A great day!

Tony

Hi all, Great day, megga thanks to all the organisers. Special thanks to Minty for patching up my cut finger and to Minty again and all the others who pushed my car out of the mud. Twice! I really did appreciate that. My new camera played up so no pics from me, but fantastic ones from Martyn K and Graham Fox and others. It was nice to get at least three of the four Bar Flys all made by Martin Fox in the air together. If all our future meeting go as good as this one went , we'll have nothing to worry about. Martyn K's burgers and sausages went done very well, as well as Bill Marsden's wife Caroline's cakes,(all home made). Not to mention Bill's tea and coffee. Role on the next meeting. Well done everybody. Thanks again Phill (wiggles) Wigley

Sam has me to post some more images, in his words "A magnificent day"

skeggy 17 april 2016 002.jpg

Pilots Brief

skeggy 17 april 2016 004.jpg

Bill burning up the strip with Dirty Birdi

skeggy 17 april 2016 003.jpg

Martyn discussing the format for the afternoon

skeggy 17 april 2016 009.jpg

Touch down Bills Dirty Birdi after another sortie

skeggy 17 april 2016 012.jpg

Sams Lightning & Electric Curare in recommended set up apart from the prop which he says performs better on a 13x10 ( the recommended prop is a 13x8 or 12x10)

skeggy 17 april 2016 013.jpg

Team Fox's models

skeggy 17 april 2016 015.jpg

Dirty Birdi about to take off

skeggy 17 april 2016 017.jpg

After the Burgers & sausages, its time for home made Cakes. Mmm Delicious

skeggy 17 april 2016 019.jpg

Lightning... Super Tigre G90 Fitted with OS pump unit & Carb, Bolly EQ62 Carbon pipe @ 505 long, APC11x14, 12% Nitro

skeggy 17 april 2016 021.jpg

skeggy 17 april 2016 022.jpg

Bill Michies Models

skeggy 17 april 2016 023.jpg

skeggy 17 april 2016 024.jpg

skeggy 17 april 2016 025.jpg

Team Fox's Electrified Calypso

skeggy 17 april 2016 026.jpg

Minty chilling prior to another flight

skeggy 17 april 2016 027.jpg

Team Fox prepping an Electrified Flair Lightning

skeggy 17 april 2016 029.jpg

Martyns' Magic warming up

skeggy 17 april 2016 032.jpg

Martyns' Magic ready to roll

skeggy 17 april 2016 033.jpg

Minty carrying Christians Challenger onto the strip.

Sam would like to thank the Ukcaa and all who attended (especially Martyn Kinder) for such an enjoyable day

Edited By Owdlad on 19/04/2016 21:08:37