Israeli Air Force A4 Skyhawk - Shalom

Posted by Phil Cooke on 29/08/2016 08:49:35:

Hiya Pete can you just remind me please what your final AUW came out at, as flown at the Lleyn with all the scale bits attached? Many thanks

Sorry Phil to have made you play the weighting game (see what I did there?) LOL eh?

Just weighed it on my new post Tornado accurate scales at 40oz or 2lb 8oz with all the scale bits and so on?

Haven't measure the wing area so what does that compute to per square foot?

Edited By Peter Garsden on 01/09/2016 09:30:30

The wing area is 2.09 sq ft.

Your AUW at 2.5lb is EXACTLY as per the drawing (10/10 Peter!) and at that weight you achieve a loading of 19.14oz/sq ft.

For those building heavy (like myself with the glass skins) a 3lb AUW will still only give a loading of 23 oz/sq ft... not a floater but still far from heavily loaded as PSS models go.

Thanks Phil - I put this one in the same category as the JP - fast, very manoeuvrable, not a floater but flyable in most reasonable wind (10mph upwards), which is a compliment indeed, as the JP is a hard act to follow. Better than the JP it is not uber sensitive to elevator, doesn't tuck under in a dive, and is much more difficult to stall. I would also argue that it cuts a finer shape in the air.

So big success and well done to the Jones/Cooke partnership, a winner.

Don't think it will cope well above 30mph without ballast. I was thinking of installing a tube inside the fuselage, but I have other models which will cope with these sorts of winds so not worth it.

Have booked into the Premier Inn for next week.

Very much looking forward to meeting all you guys again next week.