The Last Skyhawk

I've also done a little more covering on the fuselage whilst the bench was clear.

20160731_224617.jpg

The A-4M canopy is completely different from the supplied canopy and I just know that even if I painted different frame lines and closed one eye I would still be dissapointed with it. I have made a plug for a new canopy and tried to shring a pop bottle over it but the curve around to the front screen is just too much. I may try again but heat the plastic and at the same time drive in wedges below the plug to push it into the soft plastic but to be honest I can see a simple vac forming machine on the horizon!

20160731_224404.jpg

20160731_224422.jpg

For vac forming the plug will have to be a lot smoother so I'll get some paint on it and some fine sanding.

I skinned the wings late Saturday night but ran out of pins so this morning I completed the last 2 peices then went out flying the PSS Vulcan whilst it dried and set the wash out. This evening I have added the aileron torque rods and trailing edges.

20160731_224103.jpg

20160731_224119.jpg

Last job this evening was to join the two wing halves together with packers under the wing tips. All being well it should be well set when I get in from work tomorrow and I can get on with the wing tips and ailerons.

Thanks Phil. Torque rods now cut down and the plastic ends are just rubbing the wing plate so one more turn and they should clear nicely.

John, I may line the inside of the slot with 0.8mm GF sheet to harden it and to reduce the friction in the slot in case the tank wants to twist around when dropping.

A quick update but not too much done due to being ill for the last few days. Two kids with tummy bugs and it's like Typhoid Mary's come to visit. surprise

The wing is now sanded and ready for covering. I've added the belly fairing and bolt load spreader plate but cut differently to look a little more accurate.

20160806_133047.jpg

I have also hinged the ailerons and mounted them to the wing. They were then brushed with Peter's vinegar and pinned to match the trailing edge which has twisted them to the wing washout nicely. This way is only a little quicker than sanding the washout in to oversize ailerons and carries the risk of the aileron un-twisting itself over time. I may give them a sealing coat before covering to try to prevent this.

After drilling the wing for the bolt and mounting the wing to the fuselage properly for the first time for the above photo I realised I'd somehow resisted the premature assembled photo and some shed flying making aeroplane, in this case jet, noises! With one of my young models fit for duty again I dutifully took the photograph, but I didn't run around making jet noises, honest! blush

20160806_133404.jpg

The wing and ailerons have now been covered as well as the remainder of the fuselage. I've also got on with the undercarriage fairings and a few other details for the wing.

20160809_000637.jpg

I think I may need to go off scale and re shape the leading edges of the pylons to reduce how much they will snag on landing. I've also extended the front of the u/c fairings to take them to the leading edge of the wing. Like the pylons this does mean that the mating face has to be profiled to match the curve of the wing at the front. More carving and sanding!

Hard point pylons and fairings have now been covered and glued to the wing. I pinned them in place and very lightly cut through just the film on the wing to expose the balsa beneath. The pylons and u/c fairings were then glued to the wing skin with 60 min epoxy and micro balloons which was filleted in the corners with a Costa coffee stirrer. Smudges of the epoxy were removed from the white covering with denatured alcohol although methylated spirit works just as well.

20160816_231304.jpg

The centre pylon plugs into the drop tank slot with a ply plate.

20160816_231317.jpg

The pylon can be removed and replaced with the drop tank or maybe 4 x 500lb iron bombs!

20160816_231327.jpg

Just had to bolt the wing to the fuze to have a look...

20160817_003024.jpg

Finally some little trinkets of balsa have been carved out and covered in white film. These bits of details will be my time scale down fall if I don't watch out! surprise

20160817_002849.jpg

Finally got the tail pipe, fairing and braking parachute canister done this evening and made a start on a seat for the pilot. I have added 2 fillets of 1/32 ply covered with film to hide the gap between the tail plane and pipe fairing. I also closed off inside the tail pipe fairing with some 1/16 balsa and painted it gloss black. Not sure if you'll be able to make it out?

20160820_235347.jpg

I covered the outside of the tail pipe with silver solar trim and painted the bottom orange because I like how the Tornado's and Peters A-4 tailpipe seems to glow when flying away!

20160820_235355.jpg

After finishing in the shed last night I made a start on the decals for the Skyhawk. The letters and numbers will be cut in vinyl and applied with a backing tape just like sign writing. The US insignia will be cut in 3 layers of coloured vinyl and stacked together to make a single decal.

The flags down the side, Blue Angels insignia and safety arrows etc will be designed in the cutter software and printed onto white adhesive vinyl and cut. The cutter software will print registration marks in the corners which will enable the cutter to line itself up after the sheet comes out of the printer.

decal sheet.jpg

Vacuum former is now made with 2 sizes of sheet holder, A4 and roughly 300mm x 500mm. Just need to drill the hole for Henry. I plan to make a plasterboard shroud for a small portable gas stove to heat the poly.

After watching many videos on youtube I see that many first attempts fail so would really appreciate any tips on how to achieve a successful result or how to avoid it going wrong.

Posted by Matt Jones on 23/08/2016 22:22:15:
Chris, I'm doing an M too and Phil's threatened violence if I use the kit canopy, any chance I can get one of yours please? Beer tokens available

If it works yes no problem Matt. I suspect you may be pushed for time with yours anyway! laugh

But have a look at the photos on my blog as I have built the rear of the cockpit up with balsa to help where it joins the avionics hump.

Peter, I always prefer to make rather than buy. I find I get more satisfaction from it although it doesn't always work first time, or at all! surprise

Flyer, many thanks and don't worry, as long as you're there for the fun and secondly, it flies, you've achieved the same as the rest of us! yes

Almost ready for the moment of truth! Still have to drill the vacuum hole and pinch the wifes vacuum cleaner but here's what's ready so far.

The vacuum box with lots of holes and a foam seal around the outside...

20160824_180136.jpg

The sheet holder loaded with an A4 size sheet...

20160824_180122.jpg

The heater box made of acoustic plaster board, powered by a portable gas stove...

20160824_180157.jpg

The heater box has a big cut out in the front to allow air in and access to the controls. It's also big enough to pull the stove through if things go bad...

20160824_180214.jpg

When ready the heat from the cooker will rise up and heat the plastic. Hopefully it won't set on fire and drip flaming balls of molten plastic onto my cooker!

20160824_180224.jpg

Now to smuggle the vacuum cleaner out of the house and see if it works! surprise

Panic over Matt! It worked, eventually!

After a few failed attempts with 0.04" thick sheet I tried a 0.02" sheet which formed almost perfectly over the plug. A little heat from a heat gun and the sheet pulled in tight to the front of the plug!

I had noticed from the youtube videos that many people didn't seem to get enough heat into the sheet and in the most successful video the sheet has sagged like a big inverted bubble before the guy transfered it to the vacuum box. With this in mind I let the 0.02" sheet heat up until it was sagging quite alarmingly! You can see from the light reflection the hollow "dish" forming.

20160824_212821.jpg

When the "dish" was all the way up to the corners I switched on the vacuum and transferred the sheet to the plug.

20160824_213405.jpg

20160824_213424.jpg

It was a bit of a struggle getting the plug from the moulded canopy and for the next one I'll use a light smear of vaseline as a release agent. A bit of trimming later and I think it fits OK

20160824_221010.jpg

20160824_231412.jpg

20160824_235609.jpg

I've also done a couple of other bits too. Intake side boards (yet to be glued in) and blades for the sides of the fuselage. I've also made the arrestor hook by planing the corners off a length of 1/4 sq balsa then passing it through an M6 nut acting as a die to make a 5mm balsa dowel which weighs nothing! The hinge block was cut from balsa and the hook also in balsa but with a 1/32 ply plate on each side to preserve the shape of the hook.

20160824_232545.jpg

20160824_232554.jpg

20160824_232610.jpg

Now to order another 0.02" sheet for Matt! laugh

Edited By Chris Barlow on 25/08/2016 00:47:01

Complete respect. You made it, and all the equipment to go with it. You just need to find a name for the business now, and then we will all be ordering. If I were you, I would charge Mr Jones a commercial rate - say free beer at PSS events for a year?

Which reminds me Andy, I owe you a beer or two - don't forget to remind me. - for the fuel probe?