Are you an active slope soarer?

Most of the slopes require South Westerly winds in the South and during January and February there were a few opportunities to go flying and I got out three times. As soon as the warm weather arrives power flying takes precedence over slope soaring. A bit frustrating as I have yet to 'maiden' my refurbished Middle Phase 2 and there are gliders in my loft that have 27 mhz radio and have not flown for years.

Last went slope soaring thirty years ago, mainly on the North Downs around Detling. A combination of a long drive to the site (at least two hours), bad weather spoiling things, and eventually getting more into IC models put paid to it. Great sport though, and I can understand how many feel so passionate about it.

I voted once a fortnight, but that is limited only by available winds, I love the slope here in Australia , quiet, great view, flying with the eagles/hawks or even seagulls when on the coast. nice when it is scratchy lift and you have to work it , nice when it is booming and you can play the fool, sometimes it is even good to have company on the hill. Cheers Graham.

In Mallorca I bet there are plenty of suitable slopes but virtually all the land is privately owned and almost impossible to access legally.

I am a keen sailing person and see the connection with slope soaring in all its guises so I would love to try it out sometime. I wonder if it is possible to slope soar off the back of waves like so may seabirds do so gracefully.

Sadly - Blue Moons are getting rarer.

Nearest slopes are on Clee Hill, none are that good either. Unfortunately, Long Mynd is an hour (& a gallon of diesel each way) from here - then a I need a day with westerly or northerly winds and no family and / or part-time work commitments. Still, my Stargazer and my foamy Reaper are always ready in the shed - Eneloops cycled every 3-4 months. Hope springs eternal!

Edited By Gurth Scriven 2 on 04/05/2016 08:40:27

Not yet......

I would really like to get into slope soaring & there a couple of cliffs near me in North Devon.

Lack of a model glider & lack of knowledge are holding me back at the moment!

Out of interest which is the best weather forecast website to use for checking wind direction?

Kind regards

Julian