Are you an active slope soarer?

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 30/05/2016 18:49:09:
Posted by KiwiKid on 26/05/2016 21:17:56:

56% of forumites are in denial smiley

Nah - 56% of forumites have more sense than to chuck aeroplanes off cliffs whilst dressed up to resemble a muppet! wink 2

BEB

Brutal! Slopers know what it is to suffer for their passion.

slopers.jpg

slopers2.jpg

slopers3.jpg

slopers4.jpg

Fair cop on the muppet impersonation smiley

You've not done the pro slope soaring brigade any favours with those photos guys crook as a recent convert I feel a need to address the balance somewhat, there are the better days to be out in the mountains.

img_5024.jpg

img_5032.jpg

This is what its really like (okay bit of Walt Disney perspective there). Linds

Slope soaring was my favourite many years ago; RCM&E showed Great Orme with flyers including their models and that was fueling my jealousy as once upon a time i had quick access of 10 -30 minute drive to a slope. Now my flying field is only 3 minutes away by pushbike or taxi and reduced to 1 minute with the way I drive, no slope, but no noise restriction either.

I do miss slope soaring and maybe i might drive an hour or two one day.

I first tried slope soaring about thirty years ago when I was living in Fife, on the south bank of the Tay Estuary. There were so many hills to explore and strong winds to provide plenty of lift for soaring on almost a daily basis. Of course like sailing, my other interest, you had to be wearing the right kit or you would soon be cold and miserable. A balmy sunny day with smooth soaring conditions was a rare treat but magical to enjoy the sight of ones model effortlessly floating through the sky with the sun glinting off the wings. A worthy reward even if it did involve a trek up a fairly uncompromising slope before you could begin. I remember winter flying, usually in a biting gale, getting my 20 minute soaring 'fix' before retreating to my car and the comfort of a flask of coffee with the car heater full-on to restore feeling to my frozen limbs!

What appeals to me is the simplicity of an uncomplicated two function glider (plus Tx) not needing all the other paraphernalia to get one's model into the air. Rather like sailing, using the sun and the wind for power, even if that might mean a wasted trip to the slope on occasion, when the wind dies. I now live within walking distance of the South Downs and the flying conditions are generally less extreme than when I lived in Scotland, although sadly I don't fly as much as I would like due to other commitments. However my A4 Skyhawk set has just arrived so hopefully that will all soon change!

• 3 weeks later...

Living in Lincolnshire there is a total void of slopes. What few there are are very small and not suitable for much more than a small combat wing. Decent slopes are a long way both distance and driving time. So I'm stuck with mainly powered gliders and any time we have an offer of a glider tug. Still I enjoy just about every aspect of our hobby.

Unless that is.... someone can suggest a good slope within easy reach of Lincoln!

• 3 weeks later...