Tommy Walsh says: "Go to Poundland"

I went into Truro's Poundland on a mission to buy £10 worth of 'Giant Bubbles' for me mates brood and while searching found the DIY section.

My eye was drawn to the 'superglue', being in desperate desperate need I picked up three packs of this:

photo 2016-05-07-026_zpsqntnmnvf.jpg

Works just like the stuff that normally costs £7+ AND comes with those skinny tips.

Edited By D. Woodward on 09/05/2016 05:34:34

Edited By D. Woodward on 09/05/2016 05:34:52

I've been using their 20g bottles of thin cyano for ages and it's absolutely fine. Pity they don't do a medium version.

One word of warning, the quid bottles of PVA are not suitable for modelling use (or much else for that matter) - far too thin.

I've been using Poundshop cyano for a while now. I keep the spare in the fridge to keep it fresh. If you want thicker cyano just keep it for a while and it thickens - to the point of its being unusable as I found from the bottle I keep in my flight box for those 'just in case' repairs

I've also been using Poundshop 5 minute epoxy which also seems to work OK. I use 30 minute epoxy for very critical areas but the Poundshop stuff is fine for quicker setting needs.

Our local Poundshop in Belper is right by the bus stop where I get the bus home and If I'm a few minutes early I have a wander to see what's in stock. I usually walk the 2.5 miles in and catch the bus home up the hill - the joys of the free bus pass, one of the very few advantages of old age!

Geoff

Been use the super glue and PVA for many years. The boxed super glue and kicker supply has finished this spring (2016).

The PVA is thinner than the blue Evostick stuff and not instant tack, however I have built with it and haven't had any problems. For instance my cardboard glider has been glued together using it and the brown paper covering finish underneath tightened with PVA.

Hill Billy 40 span  weight 30oz

Hill Billy has a main chord of 12 and the tip chord is 9.5

Covered in brown paper from Poundland - glued with PVA from Poundland - 2 cans of Poundland silver spray - Cardboard from the local bike shop, it is a 'Canondale ' bike box and £ free - 40" Span - two standard servo's - AA flat pack - 30 oz in weight - 10 oz per sq ft wing loading - end wing section seen is a 7% section - logo's off the internet and printed on Poundland copy paper - ink via HP.

LOL ...sorry Phil, I should have combed my quiff before flying laugh

I better keep out of the sea with all the water based glue going on !   Mind if it has got worms I'll catch a fish.

Hill Billy over the sea

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 09/05/2016 23:36:38

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 09/05/2016 23:46:07

Posted by D. Woodward on 09/05/2016 22:20:30:
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 09/05/2016 21:37:16:

I once bought some epoxy from Poundland, took a week to go off and I'm not joking.

I know you aint joking.....

Once bitten, twice buy Araldite or West.

Give Bob Smith's (BSM) brand epoxies from Hobbyking a go - I use their 30 minute type for general use and their finishing epoxy for glassing. Have tried all the dearer types and BSM's products are just as good and much more economical.

Yeap, Poundland, one of my favorite shops, we have 3 of them in Exeter now, since they bought out the 99p shops.

I bought that super glue same pack just the other day. Good tip about refrigerating it there Percy, thanks !

I buy masking and clear packing tape when they have it. Also snap off knives, (though the blades are very thin, that is useful sometimes). I've bought marker pens, pencils, brown paper, fablon type sticky back plastic, sealable plastic containers, bicycle lamps and mudguards, biscuits and snacks . . .

this is starting to sound like a commercial, blush

Teehee, I've even bought Hot Wheels cars in there! smile d

Posted by Cuban8 on 10/05/2016 09:28:40:
Posted by D. Woodward on 09/05/2016 22:20:30:
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 09/05/2016 21:37:16:

I once bought some epoxy from Poundland, took a week to go off and I'm not joking.

Ideal for those applications where you need to get it really, REALLY precisely positioned!

More seriously, I think a lot of what you pay for 'higher-end' products is related to quality control and consistency. One batch of Poundland glue might be fine, the next batch might not be. In many cases the price difference is enough that you can afford to take the risk... I always test first, and never assume that because a previous purchase worked, the next one will too...

Posted by Cuban8 on 09/05/2016 08:26:53:

I've been using their 20g bottles of thin cyano for ages and it's absolutely fine. Pity they don't do a medium version.

One word of warning, the quid bottles of PVA are not suitable for modelling use (or much else for that matter) - far too thin.

Used the PVA to render my bathroom walls before I repainted them seemed a waste of cash to buy good stuff just to roll the walls with..... excellent results over the new plaster board and filler