What size engine for the Ballerina

Guys,

At long last I'm about to make a start on my Ballerina but being quite new to the scene I need a little device on engine size. I like four stroke Saito's and thinking of using either a 30 or 40 size one. I don't want an absolute rocket ship model but I do want something that'll pull nicely. What do you suggest please.

Also, if I install the engine upside down in the model, the breather tube in the sump will be upside down within the wooden nose. My Saito 56 drips oil from this port in use but if the engine is upside down how will the oil escape from the enigine? Will this cause a problem?

Thanks in advance?

Hi Richard,

After a quick read up on the build threads I see .35 two stroke / .40 four strokes mentioned.

Don't worry about a four stroke being up-side down, it will still blow oil out the crankcase breather - figure out where you'd like it to drip from, exit the pipe from there and you'll be able to get your after run oil shot in there easy too. wink

There was only one mass produced model engine that had a proper 'wet sump' - **LINK**

Notice the really scary price tag!

Good luck with your build.

Hi Richards. I've built a Ballerina this year. What a great little plane. 👍 I've fitted a Saito 56 in mine. The main reason I went for the .56 instead of a smaller one is mainly due to price, the bigger one was cheaper Mine is also inverted and have experienced no issues what so ever first Saito I've had and am very impressed

saito131134.jpg

20160315_120006.jpg

Hi Richard.

I use the OS 40 Surpass and am happy with mine but you can go for a larger four stroke if you want.

I have my engine mounted sideways but my current design has its OS 52 Surpass mounted inverted. No problem. That model is a little bigger and heavier than Ballerina but the larger engine doesn't make it much faster.

supar marauder flt 006mod.jpg

To be honest I never fit a breather tube to mine by just let it dump straight ot. after all you will get fuel dribbles from the carb anyway.

Nothing wrong with Saitos. I had one of the first ever 30s in the country back in the 70s, also had several others. I was comparing a 40 a friend had ina light weight vintage model comepared with my onw .40s.

OSmake so many variations on two strokes that some are awesome and some I won't even consider but again, that is a personal opinion.

That's true.. I don't believe in overpowering models. No point in that when fuel consumption and weight have to be taken into consideration. But the 62 is lighter and possibly better value for money. Or there's the 72 smiley

You know I think I undestand you.

When I was researching my Locamp powered by the Rotec R2800 I found a lot of motorcycles powered by this 2800cc 31" diameter seven cylinder radial.

I can picture you riding up the local main street on such a motor bike but not powered by the Rotec R2800 but instead powered by a Pratt &Whitney Twin Row Wasp..

Edited By Peter Miller on 12/05/2016 21:33:46

• 3 weeks later...

Peter,

Will the Ballerina fly on a Saito 30 at all? The reason I ask this is because all i can seem to find at the moment is the 30. Al's Hobbies tell me that Saito are stopping making the smaller engines due to electrictrickery ones taking over. I have brought the 30 but now not so sure. Al tells me that my Kadett MK2 Trainer will fly on the 30 so, bear in mind I'm a total newbie, why not the Ballerina which is slightly smaller and lighter?

I don't want to be doing aerbatics or fancy 3d stuff with it for two reasons. 1) I'm still learning to fly and 2) I prefer the smooth scale flight look.

Richard I am still deciding whether to fit my OS52 or go the electric route with an AXI 2826/12 on 4s, in my Ballerina. However, I would have thought that the Saito 30 a bit lacking in the power department for this size of model? I am sure it is a very nice engine and worth a try especially as you have bought one. You can never have too many engines!