What size engine for the Ballerina

I think that Ballerina would be marginal on a .30. MY Peyret Maubousin is a large model that does fly on a .30FS BUT and it is a big BUryT it is more like a powered glider.

Ballerina would probably fly in calm weather but with no reserve of power. I know that a 60" span VIntage Super 60 did fly on a very early Saito 30 so your model will fly but as I say not going to do even mild aerobatics.

I think you should look for a good second hand O.S 40 FS Surpass.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the saga continues. I took the new Saito 30 back to the shop I brought it from and the proprietor very kindly did a straight swap for an OS FS52S. It is second hand in that it had been installed but never run. It's as new. Given that OS are fairly more expensive than the Saito's, I felt happy with the deal, but having got home I now find out that it's a discontinued engine. Most spares websites appear to have either "shadow stock" or "out of stock" parts. I need the needle valve extension and the tool kit for it and I'm feeling a little bit mugged over the deal.

Can anyone give me some advice on a) when were they discontinued? b) are they difficult to get parts for? c) and here's the biggy, have I been sold a pup? STOP LAUGHING!

Cheers for any help.

Not a pup Richard, in fact probably a fair deal seeing it's as new. As for the extension, isn't it just a piece of wire with a bend in one end? The OS fours strokes I've had only came with a couple of allen keys, nothing special about them!

Just Engines list spares including the valve adjusting kit if you can't source a spanner, feeler guage and allen key locally.

Denis pipped me to the post!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 11/06/2016 21:28:04

You have bought a superb engine.

I bought a second hand one off Ebay and it is in my Super Marauder. Just beautiful.

As the other say the needle valve isa bit of 16 SWG wire.Any metric feeler guages, a 5 mm spanner and a small allen key is the tool kit but you will not need to adjust tappets for years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted by Low pass Pete on 21/06/2016 22:28:14:

My Ballerina flies brilliantly on an OS52 Surpass (inverted\). I have 2 of them and never had problems with them or needed spares. Would jump at the chance to get a third if I could find one. Superb engines. Why OS replaced them is a mystery to me.

Regards

Peter

Peter,

Thats good news. Thanks.

One more question for you if you will. I've arrived at the point where I'm considering engine mounts and former F1. Can you tell me what engine mount you used as a staring point please? The one I have as a spare is just a pair of bearers but the portion that bolts to the fire wall is too bulky and fouls on the engine. Is there a make/model/part number for the one you're using please?

Much obliged.

Richard, sorry not to have replied earlier (on holiday and no internet). Ref engine mount cannot recall the specific make but it was a standard 45 size mount from our local shop Inwoods (I think). One point is that when I did my install I reduced the Fuz length a tad (about 14 to 1/2 half inch) to keep the prop driver position the same as peters original plan. Seemed to work for me OK.

Regards

Peter