Steve McLaren's version of the A4 Skyhawk

Well done Steve,

Your'e just a little ahead of me; although I've been making my building board for the next three builds. Look forward to seeing your progress, and you make a valid point that it's useful for us first time plan builders to follow others that have already experienced the issues we are coming up against. Look forward to seeing yours fly Steve.

Cheers

Ade

The early part of the build seems very quick when you're working with an accurate set of laser cut parts.p5240003.jpg

p5250003.jpg

p5250004.jpg

p5250005.jpg

So I started on the wings in parallel, so that there's always something else to do whilst one part is drying.

p5270002.jpg

p5280003.jpg

Then I tried the ammonia trick. I was really impressed with how well it works. But 2 days later I'm still getting whiffs of that smell!

p5280004.jpg

p5280005.jpg

In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have used that tin of tomatoes as a mould for the intakes. I forgot that it would print the upper lip of the tin into the inside of the balsa. But nobody will see it!

Left wing underway.

p5300006.jpg

And 1/2 inch decks added tot he upper fuselage.

p5300007.jpg

Shane, F9 is drawn oversize intentionally it is not a true former, more of an end cap. It doesn't sit between the fuselage sides like all the other formers. Simply square up the sides and top and bottom sheeting at the back end and glue F9 onto the end to tidy everything up and produce the hole to suit the exhaust tube.

Looks lovely that Steve - good job! 2 servo wing is a good idea - will enable draggerons for landing or perhaps flapperons for those light lift days - the prototype was built with a single std size servo just to prove it can be flown that way with basic R/C gear...so you are leading the way with the programmable set up!

Looking lovely Steve - I like your parallel - fus and wing build !

Can I ask - I think I see it on the images but cant be sure - at the wing roots have you allowed a little extra bottom sheeting inboard and parallel to the first rib on each wing ? Presumed to be trimmed later at the point dihedral added and wing joined? Looks to be maybe 5mm?

I assume same would be the case on top sheeting - then trim all square.

Hi Harry, Yes I made the skins oversized, I then pinned the bottom skin to the board and marked the lines of the ribs, LE, TE and Spar, onto the skin. But I trimmed it all square before fitting the top skin - mainly because you have to sand the LE and TE to shape anyway, but I found it also helps to be able to check the fit of the dihedral brace, if both wings go together properly at that stage.

That's rapid progress, Steve. Have you decided on a colour scheme and A-4 mark yet?

I see you've added gussets at the TE of each rib, and some small blocks at the LE for extra support. I did wonder about the TE strength myself, as the ribs are very thin there. The extra gussets might help avoid breakages when colliding with rocks on the Orme!

Edited By Steve Houghton on 14/06/2016 12:38:45

Hi Steve,

Yes I added the gussets partly for extra strength but also because one or two of my ribs didn't seem to quite meet the false trailing edge! I found that having marked out the false TE and False LE lines, the ribs seemed a bit short. You don't have a solid reference at the front of the ribs. at this stage of the build, and there's a bit of uncertaintly on how to how to chamfer the cut for the spar, but I didn't seem to have enough rib to achieve a good fit with both the TE and the LE. I only achieved a partial chamfer on the front of the rib to the LE. Probably my bad building! Did anybody else find the same problem?

I saw your question about the false LE. For what it's worth, I chamfered mine in advance and added it to the ribs before curling the bottom skin as you suggested. It seemed to work well, but other methods are available!

Steve,

I didn't have the same problem with the ribs, although I aligned everything against the TE strip, so the TE of the ribs fitted perfectly. I then used the slots in the ribs (after filing to an angle) to 'dry fit' and align the spar on the lower sheet before glueing. It was more or less over the line I had drawn, perhaps slightly rearward.

I totally ignored the drawn position of the sub-LE, as I fitted it after rolling the lower sheet onto the ribs. I sanded a full angle on each rib LE. However, I have ended up with a small kink in the sub-LE. I think rib R2 is slightly longer (on both wings) than it needs to be - I should have checked this before assembly I suppose. I'll either sand out the kink, or just accept a slightly curved LE!

You cunningly avoided my question about your chosen subject - are you keeping it under wraps?

Edited By Steve Houghton on 15/06/2016 13:03:28

Ah the colour scheme - no, I'm not avoiding the question. I'm just a bit behind on that aspect. Not being very familiar with the A4, I have no Strong preference. I know that people like to see to lots of different schemes, so I have been looking for something which hasn't already been taken ( at least by the UK contingent who are likely to turn up to the big Orme event). So far I ave come up with this - Aussie Camouflage!

139_1.jpg

virtavia_a-4_skyhawk_06.jpg

I like this. It should give me the same disorientation problems I get when flying my full camouflage Tornado!

But, If anybody is already doing this scheme, please let me know, and I will search for something else!

Since my last posting, I have finished skinning the right wing, and epoxied the torque rod sleeves into a groove in the false TE.p6120010.jpg

Then I cut a matching groove into the fixed TE parts.

p6120011.jpg

after glueing them both together, and sanding the TE profile to match, I added the wing tips.

p6140016.jpg

Then, turning my attention back to the fuselage, I decided i needed to go out and buy one of these to help me understand the shape I was aiming for.

p6140015.jpg