Steve McLaren's version of the A4 Skyhawk

Hi Steve. I'm afraid my build stalled for a few weeks! Holiday's, family commitments, etc. But I see that you are making rapid progress whilst also maintaining a very high quality of build! I was impressed by the carved twist on the ailerons. Since I'm now starting to get worried about finishing in time, I'm going to have to cut a few corners! So I will be twisting my stock ailerons with ammonia a la Peter G thread.

I managed to add my fibreglass wing joining bandage today

p7240064.jpg

and get the intakes added tot he fuselage

p7240065.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I'm feeling more confident now that she will make the big day - even if not completely finished, or a bit short of detail. (especially as the current forecasts suggest next weekend might be more of a building weekend than a flying weekend!).

I am planning a mixed covering approach. The fuselage/tail shapes are so complicated and fiddly that I can't face solarfim, so I'm going to try tissue and acrylic varnish. Then I will solarfilm the wing.

• 5 weeks later...

Well that's me done! No glass, no spraying, no refueling probe, no scale features! And I never want to cut another small red kangaroo shape out of solartrim again!

But at least I can play golf tomorrow night and have a few beers whilst some of you guys are still beavering away!

Or should I do some some panel lines, ejection seat warning stickers,etc??

It needed 3 oz of nose weight, giving a total AUW of 37.5 oz.

Looking forward to the weekend. The forecast was looking really promising early today, but it seems to have died again.

p9070001.jpg

p9070005.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Posted by Steve McLaren on 07/08/2016 13:46:39:

I always thought these whiskey bottle tubes would be useful for something! I started to make this exhaust shroud as a template for cutting a bit of 1/16th balsa, but then I thought - why not just use it as it is?

p8060003.jpg

p8070008.jpg

Steve, it's a safe bet that more than a few members of the global Scooter drivers and fixers community will vouch for this unique touch of sparkle to your model's mojo!