My First Drone/Quad/UAV/Camera Platform - whatever!

Bath Spa Hotel

Bath Spa HDR

Faringdon Folly

Well, last week I took the plunge and blew some bonus money on a DJI Phantom 3 Professional and joined the ranks of the derided drone community.

I can honestly say that in over 40 years of model flying I have seldom got such a buzz; the sort that you used to get early in your flying career when each non-crash end to a flight was greeted with an equal mix of relief and euphoria.

The technology is sensational and just a little bit scary at the same time. The Return To Home and auto-landing function is just amazing to see and hear. Despite all the auto-everything, I feel that my general flying skills and awareness still serve me very well. Some of my photo locations have demanded manual landings to a precise spot.

Combining my love of photography and flying is just great - it really has given the flying mojo a big boost.

By the way - answers on a postcard to name the two locations in my sample pics!

Posted by FilmBuff on 02/06/2016 09:01:10:

I can honestly say that in over 40 years of model flying I have seldom got such a buzz; the sort that you used to get early in your flying career when each non-crash end to a flight was greeted with an equal mix of relief and euphoria.

The technology is sensational and just a little bit scary at the same time. The Return To Home and auto-landing function is just amazing to see and hear. Despite all the auto-everything, I feel that my general flying skills and awareness still serve me very well. Some of my photo locations have demanded manual landings to a precise spot.

I can wholeheartedly echo your sentiments, FB. I've gone down the less-costly line with a Quanum Nova and a couple of scratch-built systems (from frame kits!) and there's an awful lot of learning to do - but the satisfaction is worth the effort!

Pete

• 4 weeks later...
Posted by GrahamC on 28/06/2016 23:06:37:

Very nice photos... However (surely someone will ask?) "within 50 metres of people, vehicles, buildings or structures"? Maybe... My memory of Bath is not that good!

Edited By GrahamC on 28/06/2016 23:09:30

Hi Graham -

I was very careful to make sure I was at least 50m away from the things you describe.

Good to hear! I fly racing drones myself and a plastic tube T copter [great fun] along with fixed wing and helicopters. I just get nervous about the inevitable clamping down on the hobby that is almost certainly coming. Glad to hear you were being careful.

Guys, the key distance here is not 50m - it is 150m!

Article 167 of the ANO says that we must not fly within 150m of congested area. Now it is quite true that it does not define "a congested area" - but I think we can safely assume the centre of Bath (which, unless I am mistake,n is where these images were taken) falls into that catagory! So the exclusion zone you need to apply here is not just 50m it is 150m.

Now, here is a question for you - one I pose to our students on the UAv MSc degree; suppose we have a circular park that is 400m diameter in the middle of a major city. Can we claim that the centre of this park is not a congested area and hence take of and fly within that centre - even though all around it for many miles is most definitely a congested area? Answers on a postcard please to,.....

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/07/2016 12:07:52:

Guys, the key distance here is not 50m - it is 150m!

Article 167 of the ANO says that we must not fly within 150m of congested area. Now it is quite true that it does not define "a congested area" - but I think we can safely assume the centre of Bath (which, unless I am mistake,n is where these images were taken) falls into that catagory! So the exclusion zone you need to apply here is not just 50m it is 150m.

Now, here is a question for you - one I pose to our students on the UAv MSc degree; suppose we have a circular park that is 400m diameter in the middle of a major city. Can we claim that the centre of this park is not a congested area and hence take of and fly within that centre - even though all around it for many miles is most definitely a congested area? Answers on a postcard please to,.....

BEB

The portaloo on my club site quite often gets a queue, and if someone tries to enter just as someone else is coming out, then that area by the door can become quite congested!

One has to assume that the definition of 'congested area' has never been legally contested in this context, otherwise presumably the wording would have been tightened up. I guess it reminds me of the 'attending school regularly' case!

The second circumstance listed in article 167 refers to a gathering of 1000 people, so intuitively one imagines that a 'congested area' is equivalent in terms of people-per-unit area. If that's the case then it should be justifiable to interpret the situation you pose literally - i.e. perfectly permissible to fly in the park, as long as you don't stray more than 50 metres from the centre point...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...