5th Annual PANDAS Single-Channel & Retro R/C Event tomorrow

Phil Green

Tomorrow 5th June, 2016 we have the 5th of our very popular Single-Channel and Retro R/C events at Pontefract Racecourse, West Yorkshire:

2015 has been an eventful year with lots of new retro kit appearing - on the 'pulse' scene we've seen interest growing rapidly these last few months, I'm very much looking forward to seeing a few Galloping Ghost models flying, everyone last year was fascinated by Glyn's Adams-equipped Tyro and Shauns GG Swift.

We always have a 'theme' slot, we've had the Sharkfest, formation Galahads, a flock of Veron Impalas, and last year's was any Boddo design - a lot depends on the weather of course but biplanes and 'unorthodox' have been suggested as 'themes' for 2016...

What makes this event different is the traditional Single-Channel, Reeds, Pulse & GG flying, and I'm so looking forward to seeing more retro radio conversions from everyone, we've seen quite a few on the S/C forum recently.
For myself, since last year I've just a couple of new ones, the OS Pixie (which I love) which will be in the Swannee (cheers Doug!) and the RCS 'Inter 6' reeds which will be in the new Falcon 56. Also since last year theres the Kraft 71 of course with its S/C emulation mix, there should be quite a few of these in various guises! For 2016 it will be nice to see a few Ceptimus S/C sets too, variety is good!

Most of all I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again, plus a good few new recruits (or old new recruits of course!) as we've had several new members join up this year which is brilliant, it keeps the interest in S/C and Retro RC healthy and hopefully most will make it to Ponty!

Dave Cowburn will be doing control-line demos, and SAM will be running their vintage events again in parallel with ours,
If you've never been to a Ponty do, please come & try it... its something different you won't see anywhere else...
Not this side of the 1960's anyway :af

Ours is a truly unique event, and the forecast is excellent - sun and very little wind.
Previous years 'event videos' can be seen on Youtube channel PHILG2864

Today was the fly-for-fun shakedown day prior to tomorrows event and to add further variety and interest we also hosted one of the BMFA 'Drone Aware' sessions up on our heli patch. This is a just few minutes walk from the fixed wing area and was well worth a nosey.

I met David Lovegrove (Peter Lovegrove's brother) who flew two GG models really well. One was a Veron Robot with a Controlaire GG actuator, and the other an own-design 'Mangled-Wot' with a Mighty-Midget style motor and bird-cage, each with an on-board Galloping-Ghost re-coder and flown on a Dx7. Both flew superbly, and with perfect reliability flight after flight, I was overjoyed to see them! Other than videos I've only ever seen one of the re-coders fly, in Shauns DB Swift (Rand LR3) so it was very rewarding to watch Davids models performing so well, with some simple aerobatics thrown in and then perfect flared landings. Brilliant. With the sun behind them you could plainly see the surfaces flapping as they climbed away. Wish I'd had a video camera.

We're expecting at least a couple more Galloping Ghost models tomorrow, this is ultra-nostalgia!

Now I need to get everything ready for tomorrow - need to be there at 8:00am so packing tonight.

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 04/06/2016 22:32:45