Is this 'acceptable'?

Bustergrunt

I've got the vintage bug, built myself a Tomboy (2 ch) and Cardinal (FF) and am in the process of further builds... If I were to programme my Tx so that rudder control was on max expo I.e. No proportionality, so simply left/right full throw each input, would this be 'frowned upon' if I were to come along to a S/C fly-in?

Depending how flexible your TX is, could you not have normal proportional rudder (on the stick) with a three position switch mixed in so that the rudder was also controlled by the switch (full left, centre, full right) - full vintage experience would be flying on the switch but with a safety net of the stick should you need it....

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 12/06/2016 07:31:40:

Depending how flexible your TX is, could you not have normal proportional rudder (on the stick) with a three position switch mixed in so that the rudder was also controlled by the switch (full left, centre, full right) - full vintage experience would be flying on the switch but with a safety net of the stick should you need it....

Full vintage experience would be a progressive rudder (left, right, left etc on each press and hold) or a progressive movement (left on hold then through right on release or press, release hold to give right via left) Add in "quick blip" and/or a third escapement position for extra fun.

Don't forget that back then going home with a model still intact was a good days flying smiley .To be really authentic you won't be able to use a black plastic bag ,instead you will need a vintage paper carrier bag  ...... just in case ☺.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 12/06/2016 08:38:00

BusterG, check out this site http://singlechannellersreunited.co.uk/phpbb3/index.php .Then get in touch with PhilG for a single channel coder. Connect coder to a FrSky 'hack' module and put the lot in a cheap plastic box to get yourself a single channel Tx. You use servos in the plane and the coder makes them respond like a single channel actuator in response to the Tx button push.

Edited By GONZO on 12/06/2016 12:20:13

Edited By GONZO on 12/06/2016 12:21:52

Edited By GONZO on 12/06/2016 12:24:01

Cheers for the above....I'll get to a vintage fly-in and bring my planes...dunno if I'l go down the whole bang bang/escapement route, It wasn't part of my youthful experience and I feel no connection to it, however the planes of Vic Smeed, Veron, KielKraft etc are to my liking and of my past so it's the airframes and diesel engones I'll be concentrating on. Also just been informed I came 17th out of 40 entrants at the FF Nats Bowden comp at my first attempt....😊

Posted by Engine Doctor on 12/06/2016 08:37:02:

Don't forget that back then going home with a model still intact was a good days flying smiley .To be really authentic you won't be able to use a black plastic bag ,instead you will need a vintage paper carrier bag  ...... just in case ☺.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 12/06/2016 08:38:00

Doctor is going senile, twas not a carrier bag, precious things, twas a tater sack in Worcestershire.

• 6 months later...

Hi Folks,

Like Bustergrunt the vintage bug has bitten!

Have found myself building Cardinal (Mills power) and Super Sniffer (E.D.Bee mk1)

Have single servo r/only, thought I might be the only person doing so, but glad to see

many others doing same!

Selling off some large petrol motors and buying small diesels, seems have done

the "full circle" back to where I began some 45 yrs ago (albeit now with r/o radio)

Don't think I have had as much fun in those years as now.

cheers from "the land down-under"

gregj