Black Knights Skyhawk

Hello Edward,

It's great to hear from you. I think all the information you need is is the helpful links posted by Mark Kettle above (thanks Mark).

In summary, it's a plan design 'A-4 Skyhawk' plan number MW3775 available from Traplet publications. There is also a part-kit of laser cut parts available (additional sheet and strip wood needs to be purchased separately), as well as a canopy.

It was designed by Phil Cooke and Matt Jones, of the Power Scale Soaring Association. Many of us (around the world) are building the same model, with variations, for the 2016 mass build event coming up on the 10th and 11th September (see the PSSAonline web site link above).

If you decide to build one, it would be great to see another example of the A-4SU in Black Knights colours, or in its military variant. For a short while I considered building the tandem seat TA-4SU, with its unusual twin canopy arrangement, but I decided it was too complicated to build in the time available.

Let us know if you build one. There are plenty of building tips on the 2016 Mass Build section of this forum.

Regards, Steve

Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday then Steve. I love the colour scheme because:-

1. It is bright and colourful
  2. It nearly matches the twin Tornados of Phil and I. Maybe we can fly in formation?
  3. My wife and I visited Singapore as part of our cruise in January this year. We didn't see the A4 but this model will do in replacement.

Edited By Peter Garsden on 07/09/2016 19:20:47

• 1 month later...

Hi Pete and Steve,

Thanks for your comments, and sorry for the delay in responding.

I like bright colour schemes, and knew I wouldn't have time for a painted camouflage scheme, so I opted for the simpler film covering. One day I'll push the boat out and venture into a glass/paint finish.

Steve, I was pleased to see one other Black Knights scheme at the event, built by a gent called Jim, I think. His was number '1', so no duplication with my number '2' of the aerobatic formation. Unfortunately, the other one suffered some damage and didn't make it into the group photo, which was a pity. He told me he had built his in 4 days, starting on the Wednesday before the event, which must take the record for the fastest build!!!

As you know, I failed to complete the model in time to fly at the Mass Build day on 11th September. The structure was ready and covered but the radio wasn't fully installed.

I managed to complete it for the last meeting on 8th October, but was then defeated by the light winds, so it remains unflown, albeit intact!

The finished photos from 8th October are on the 'Completed Model Thread', but here are a couple of repeats:

1610_0801_frontright.jpg

1610_0807_rearleft.jpg

Radio Installation

I enjoy seeing radio installation shots, as there's always something to learn from others. Here are a few of mine.

Aileron Differential

Using a single Hitec HS-225MG servo, I had to set up the traditional mechanical differential by offsetting the pushrod output points on the servo output disc.

1610_1601_ailerodrods.jpg

The connection points on the torque rods are in front of the hinge line, which gives a little differential. The ball links on the output disc then needed to be offset slightly towards the rear. A single hole offset on one side, at the minimum radius, was then sufficient to give aileron movement of +12mm -9mm.

1610_1602_aileroddisc.jpg

Radio Bay

I placed the elevator servo behind F4 on spruce bearers. The JR receiver is mounted on a raised balsa platform, retained with a velcro band running around the whole thing.

During this process, my clumsy hands kept snapping the vertical grained F4, so I added 1/8" balsa reinforcements on each side, as seen below:

1610_1603_radioinstallation.jpg

There are two aerials on my JR RG712BX receiver. One goes straight forwards into a plastic tube into the nose cavity. The other is held by a vertical plastic tube on the opposite side of the fuselage, for maximum separation.

1610_1605_rxaerials.jpg

The elevator snake is held by a vertically mounted support, as I have dreams of installing airbrakes eventually and wanted to leave the side areas clear for additional pushrods:

1610_1604_elevatorservo.jpg

Th battery has a 0.75oz lead weight taped onto the front, and is held into the battery tube by a sponge strip:

1610_1606_batteryinstallation.jpg

Battery Retainer

Using a variation of Malcolm Baird's 'lolly stick' retainer, I designed a 1/16" ply sliding retainer. When closed, it is prevented from coming out by the wing:

1610_1607_batteryretainerclosed.jpg

With the wing removed, the ratainer can be slid up to release the contents of the battery compartment:

1610_1608_batteryretaineropen.jpg

Now it's on with reparing the Jet Provost after a nasty mishap on 11th September.

Edited By Steve Houghton on 16/10/2016 12:58:43

Edited By Steve Houghton on 16/10/2016 12:59:50

Thanks Phil. I must fit one onto the Jet Provost as well, as the JP battery is currently held only by the friction of a similar foam rubber bung up the battery tube. I did wonder whether the JP battery had shifted backwards during its fatal flight at the Orme in September, but after the crash it seems to be in its expected location - unless the jolt slid it forwards again!

• 4 months later...
Posted by Steve Houghton on 07/09/2016 12:47:01:

Hello Edward,

It's great to hear from you. I think all the information you need is is the helpful links posted by Mark Kettle above (thanks Mark).

In summary, it's a plan design 'A-4 Skyhawk' plan number MW3775 available from Traplet publications. There is also a part-kit of laser cut parts available (additional sheet and strip wood needs to be purchased separately), as well as a canopy.

It was designed by Phil Cooke and Matt Jones, of the Power Scale Soaring Association. Many of us (around the world) are building the same model, with variations, for the 2016 mass build event coming up on the 10th and 11th September (see the PSSAonline web site link above).

If you decide to build one, it would be great to see another example of the A-4SU in Black Knights colours, or in its military variant. For a short while I considered building the tandem seat TA-4SU, with its unusual twin canopy arrangement, but I decided it was too complicated to build in the time available.

Let us know if you build one. There are plenty of building tips on the 2016 Mass Build section of this forum.

Regards, Steve

Hi Steve:

Thanks for the reply, I just got back into the hobby after a ten years gap. As mentioned earlier in my post, the A-4 Skyhawk is my number favorite. I never fail to stared at the actual aircraft whenever I am at our local Air Force Museum! If you need details for the unique twin seat aircraft (TA-4S) I am willing to take photos and forward to you! Meanwhile would like to know you did the marking.

Finally, I am just wondering if I can convert it into EDF. Any thought?

Edward Po