Dave Smith Models

Adam Colins 2

I wouldn't know how much to offer for it not to be considered 'silly' but I am interested..how about a 'ball park' figure?

Posted by Hangar 9 nut on 16/10/2016 12:48:47:

I have a Dalotel and an Aerostar 62 both new in boxes for sale the Dalotel has a new set of wings with it open to offers but not silly ones !

I think you are right about mid to late nineties, and I think I bought it at Sandown too - possibly the very last Sandown event he attended?

Did a bit of rather messy surgery last night to get a bigger tank in and Its been flying very nicely today, gone through almost half a gallon of fuel and got it pretty much dialled in.

Good job too as although we had plenty visitors the wind was in a bad direction for such an event at our field so take-off and landings was cross wind and very few fliers risked it..

Some of the electrics and scaley stuff really struggled, but not to the Contact!

H9N - always fancied a Dalotel myself, I think that and the Super Sport were his first kits followed by a version of Steve Burgess# Challenger - I built one of those from the plan but used a DSM canopy to avoid all the planking.

Wherabouts in the country are you?

Then I think, the Joker (had one of those too) and the Aerosatr, Contact and Smart Move came later IIRC

Buster must get around a bit too - I sold him a TopLight glider some years ago....

Posted by Hangar 9 nut on 16/10/2016 20:28:14:

Buster which one are you interested in ?

Aerostar £100

Dalotel £140 very comprehensive kit even has wing bandage in it !

I might be interested in the Dalotel, got a Hanno Special looking for a home, see if I can move a glider on...

Whereabouts are you? email is

[email protected]

if you'd rather not say in open forum

I think the Aerostar falls into the category of "models that took it too far the wrong way" - which is to say, I kind of drifted away from these planes when the movement went to high drag, constant speed...

• 3 weeks later...

So... I came across a ex-member a while ago, in the Leeds model shop, and during conversation it transpired he had a mate who had a DSM Dalotel built, covered, no gear and unflown, which he was desperate to offload as he was moving house, and talking about putting his foot through it and taking it to the tip.

I thought that was a really bad idea, and the ex-member turned up on my doorstep last Friday with said model to be re-homed.

Its beautifully built and nicely finished - not at all like my normal efforts, but I am sure its not a Dalotel!.

Wing tips and fin are the wrong shape, and its way too big, being 70" span and a similar length, once a Spinner is fitted, not quite what I was expecting.

aerostar 001.jpg

Get a better view of the tips here

aerostar 003.jpg

Now, I know Carl (the builder) was not averse to changing the shape / size of his rudders, and this one looks a bit too broad to me, and I was thinking its probably an AeroStar? Although, again, wasn't the Aerostar a bit smaller?

Any ideas Guys?

Apparently, he also has an Excelsior 188 NIB - anyone know anything about that one?

Edited By TIM Shaw on 08/11/2016 14:27:06