Dave Smith Models

Adam Colins 2

Thanks for all the input guys, I was aware of the smaller Aerostars and Dalotels, Saphyrs and Joker, but I think - though I may be wrong - that most of the stretched stuff came about after the Turn around Revolution and the move to bigger, slower 4-stroke powered planes, possibly under the Marvik name, although its a long time ago and I could well be wrong.

ES - as it is, the fuz weighs in at 2lbs 4ozs (890g) and the Fuz at 2lbs 10 ozs (1200g)

Wheels, tank and motor mount are in, but no engine, pipe or gear, so, although it feels very light for such a big thing (by my normal standards) its probably going to end up around the 7lb mark if I am lucky.

Ok, sounds a lot to me but my much smaller (50" span) Mach 8 clone came in over 4lbs.and flew just fine on TT Pro 36.

There is snow on the ground here today and I am part - way through an 80% Challenger project (for reasons of transport, fuel cost, and ease of handling in winter weather), so it could be a while before this bird moves on much.

So...

The view at the field today, from messrs Wragg, Ward, and Limbert who have all had them, is that what I have here is indeed an Aerostar 69, with a "modified" vertical tail component.

There was also a view that the proposed Hanno Special might be a bit marginal, and I should perhaps be looking at a 75 or even 91 AX instead.

Not sure I want to go down that road though, I have a liking for slightly smaller models.

How would we go about holding a classic pattern meet at our field, would there be any interest in coming up to frozen wilds of West Yorks sometime next year??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted by graham Ives 1 on 27/11/2016 18:54:57:

on the subject of DSM models, does anyone know where i can get a cowl for an Aerostar 62. I picked up a kit in the summer and the cowl looks like one from a 40 size Sapphir. I'd rather not carve a balsa cowl for it so i just thought i'd have one last try before i have to start whittling.

Cheers

Graham

It was a while ago but I'm sure that Carbon Copy had one that fitted the airframe dimensions, though not exactly the original shape.