Essential RC's videos

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by extra slim on 04/02/2021 10:34:38:

Super project Dom, thanks for sharing. QQ.. How are the wing tips "locked" in place?. the laminated ply beam slide in, but is there a "lock" to stop them moving away?

A small metal tab on the wing slips over the top of the tip and just one small screw through a hole in that tab into ply in the tip. Forces in flight aren't in that direction so I guess won't need a lot to keep it in place.

Edited By Dom (Essential RC) on 04/02/2021 14:17:44

Posted by Dom (Essential RC) on 04/02/2021 08:32:31:

In storage for 15 -20 years so a few things needed replacing and updating but it's ready to go for it's re-maiden...as is the Concorde in the background.

Nice model, but there is something strange going on inside that fuselage on the RHS (LHS as we look at it). The skin does not look attached to the formers, and there is an extra stringer going down the outside of them between skin and former. What's that, a previous repair? Worth checking it is sound before flying methinks...

Edited By MattyB on 04/02/2021 15:49:38

• 3 weeks later...

Dietmar and Chris are known for their amazing creativity when it comes to designing and building super light RC aeroplanes to be flown at shows in Germany...but this latest project is just brilliant. They give a flight demo outside and then they give me some insight into the inspiration, power system, vectored thrust, flight stabilisation and what the scale model will look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEjnYi2WpBM

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Turbine engine is still the better performance option for large jets such as the Avanti XS. The thrust is higher and the landing weight lower. So why did I choose to convert this large RC jet to EDF? Basically because there are fewer and fewer places to fly turbine powered aircraft, especially in my part of the world, due to the perceived noise and fire hazards.

This being the first flight I kept to simple circuits of the flying field using full throttle for the passes down the runway and backing off to half throttle for the downwind leg. Fairly windy day but it was down the strip and no doubt that assisted the early take off. Despite that I held in full elevator until the jet got airborne and then decreased to prevent stall. First landing attempt was aborted due to overshooting but the second was spot on after taking a slightly longer approach and staying low so as not to pick up any speed. After landing the pack voltages were at 44% usable capacity remaining so a 5.5 to 6 minute flight time would be achievable. All in all a successful maiden flight on 14S12000 lipo. We are going to be putting together a Lion pack that will have much higher capacity and give around 9 minute flights.

JET: 1.9 M Sebart Avanti XS
FAN/MOTOR: Schubeler DS-86-AXI HDS SFF Tenshock X-501 5,5Y 810kV
SPEED CONTROLLER: YGE 205HVT BEC 12A/30A ESC
14S 12000 Mah LIPO

MAX PERFORMANCE
Current: 140 A
Thrust: 95 N
Exhaust speed: 95 M/S

Edited by Dom (Essential RC)

Lou gives me some insight into the immense effort and skill that has gone into building this super scale replica of the Fieseler Storch. Some details I had not even spotted ! All other replicas don't get as close to the real thing as this model. Amazing detail. Flown at LMA Elvington.

I’m with you all the way John. You’ll often hear the argument that scale pilots don’t look real and detract from the illusion of reality. 

Fine for ground judging of scale detailing but glaringly unrealistic in any close flying, including any taxiing or take off/landing. 

For me, it’s scale pilot every time - 3D model with empty office striving to save weight?  In the words of the Rolling Stones, paint it black!

• Like 1

So clever. Combines the ease of flying a drone with the efficiency of flight. Vertical take off and landing with one button used to transition to regular flight and back to hover again. No moving control surfaces. Roll and yaw achieved through differential thrust. Integrated FPV with real time view streamed to the controller.

Star Wars X-Wing? About as close as you can get I think! This is my latest flight with the Swan\H-Wing Pro after some viewers had asked for closer up look at the transmitter and it's functionality. Really very easy to fly. The only improvement I would make is being able to fly with FPV goggles. Would not be difficult to retrofit DJI FPV. Maybe something I'll do over Winter.