Trevor's Ballerina

This is my first Peter Miller model - his reputation is so good I had to try one. My father-in-law volunteered for the build, and I did the finishing with Hobbyking film.

I specified 2 variations from the plan to suit my preferences - a fuselage mounted torsion bar u/c and one servo per aileron. I am electric only these days so it's powered by a modest 360W 3s 3000 setup. Weight is 4lb 6oz. ready to fly. Unusually for one of my adaptations of a glow design, I had to add 4oz of lead to the nose to acheive the plan c of g.

Maiden was on Sunday. She needed a bit of elevator and aileron trim, but flies superbly, performance is much better than tha power and weight suggest. Lovely loops and rolls, very docile handling. Well done Peter, it is a credit to you, as I expected it to be.

ballerina 003.jpg

ballerina 001.jpg

ballerina 002.jpg

Yes Paul, I did consider using a 4s pack, but the power train was originally used in my electrified Galaxy Magician, and when I tried 4s in that I had to reduce the prop size so much to keep within the ESC's 40A limit it became very ineffecient and went no better. Also now the lead is pretty well glued in!

Yes, I'm very pleased with the colour scheme. It was inspired by the Fly Baby reviewed in the magazine a couple of months ago.

Peter, I am also a big fan of low wing loading, and I also think that the relatively thick wing section you have used gives gentle stall characteristics. When I put the wing on my storage rack, it happened to be above my Sig J3 Clipped Wing Cub wing, and is almost identical in span and chord. However, the Cub wing is flat-bottomed and half as thick, and the Cub is about a pound heavier than the Ballerina. It has a much sharper stall, and is inclined to drop a wing, but it is a scale model so ideal model characteristics have had to be compromised.

• 3 months later...