Gentle Giant 16ft Depron wing

Worden

Some video of my latest project, something a little different. Big thanks to MFK Falken in Denmark whose 2012 Go Big build inspired this half size effort. Wing is traditionally built in Depron, fuselage is polystyrene sheet. Wing loading worked out at 6oz per sq ft.

Thanks very much for the comments, I was quite surprised just how well it flew for a rather unusual design. I couldn't find any examples of Depron wing construction of similar size so the airfoil and main spar were a bit of a guess. To keep the spar weight as low as possible I ended up with 6mm Depron between 6mm square balsa strip top and bottom. I added 3mm Depron webbing substituting balsa around the dihedral brace. The only other wood in the wing was a half inch balsa trailing edge strip between the 3mm Depron skin and an eighth strip on the outer leading edge. I did take a few photos as I went along for anyone interested.

img_20160322_135508.jpg

img_20160322_135724.jpg

img_20160417_091054.jpg

A balsa/Depron/balsa spar works very well. I have used similar on several of my 'Depron' wings although nothing quite as large as yours!

Spar flange

In this case the spar flanges are just 1 mm thick thin and a bit wider than the Depron web.

To achieve the greatest strength to weight the balsa spars should of course be tapered with a maximum section at the wing root and reducing down to nothing at the tip. wink 2

If I may I have two questions:

Was 6 mm Depron also used for the wing skin and how was the leading edge created?

Thank you Ken, praise from the "pushing the boundaries dept." is truly an honour!

Simon, the 2 wing halves were fully sheeted in 3mm Depron. I did work out the weight of this against film covering but the difference was actually quite small and I thought the added strength wouldn't hurt. I did cover the Depron skin with film around the centre sections where the dihedral brace was positioned. I have done a quick sketch of the leading edge construction, the hatching shows U sections from 6mm Depron glued up before fitting between the ribs, you can see these in the photo. Turned out to be pretty strong.

1470505143616-1303098240.jpg

img_20160417_091035.jpg

Worden

Thanks for the info and a nice sketch.

I am sure skinning in Depron was a wise move as it would add significant extra strength and torsional stiffness although the rib spacing looks quite wide for a 3 mm Depron skin. I suspect it would mean the skin would buckle under compression well before it would fail under tension.

How much did the complete plane weigh?

Hi Simon, the intention of the project was to build a big plane that would fly as slow as possible, any aerobatics were never an option so lightness took priority over strength wherever possible. Surprisingly enough the wing loading turned out exactly on my target of 6 oz per sq ft which is about the same as the MFK Falken build. The AUW was 6kg, the wing being 2.5kg of that. (Apologies for mixing metric and imperial but kg per sq m or whatever doesn't mean much to me yet.)

Spice Cat, installation of a 2.4m building board necessitated creation of a walkway around the bench but please don't be concerned as normal service has already been resumed!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Broken Prop, sorry for the delay in replying. I did use a slow flying, high lift section (naca 4418) but amended it slightly to a flat bottom for ease of construction. I'm most certainly no expert on that sort of thing but it more than achieved what I was after. Once familiar with the way it handled I found I could fly it even slower, this probably shows in the second video (Spice Cat's) where we also took it up to height and cut the motor to try the glide. Good thing there were no thermals around as I suspect it would have rapidly disappeared upwards!