Piers's A4 Skyhawk

This is not so much a build blog as that has been covered so well by others elsewhere, just a few details about what I have done differently. Plus, I am a bit late to the party in any event! I haven't built a PSS model for about twenty years so it is about time that changed. Recently I have been contenting myself slope soaring my foamy HK Vampire, which it does rather well.

The Fuz went together quite quickly without any issues apart from having to use quite a lot of pressure to pull the nose in. A few more saw cuts and some big clamps sorted that. I have been trying the Super Phatic glue which is new to me. I know it is all going to get covered but I don't like the staining of the wood, perhaps I am just a messy builder!

A4 Tail Group

I haven't bothered with the scale 'fluted' tail that others have done, mainly because I intend to film cover the model which would be tricky. As you can see I have spent the time instead on making a working rudder, for those knife edge Farnborough passes (yea right!). Just dry assembled to check full and free movement. I will plane/sand and cover all the parts before final assembly.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Praise indeed from the man himself! With hindsight I think I would have gone for a paint finish. I found it a bit tricky to get the film on, I was probably out of practice. As you can see I didn't fit the landing gear fairings as I am not a purist - and no rivets either (don't tell Danny Fenton). Controversially I did enlarge the battery box to take a 2200Ah LiPo to power a BL motor and prop screwed to the back of the tailpipe. Just don't tell anyone in the PSSA! wink 2

Looking forward to the maiden flight, comment about the aileron throws duly noted, thank you.

Hi Piers, it reminds me of a GWS Skyhawk I had it come with the early 3 blade fan and brushed motor. It flew very well after a javelin launch but not very fast. I took it apart and replaced the fan unit with a GWS pusher motor, it flew a lot faster after that , then after a few flights the prop lock nut came loose and the prop went forward chewing the elevator and rudder in the process. Good luck with the maiden, you have done a great job with the build and covering.

Eric r.