SFM Fokker DVII Kit

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Good to hear! I have completed the build of all the wing surfaces and they went together easily and no complications.

Have printed my own lozenge onto tissue paper and then doped it up over the undercarriage wing as a tester and it seems a pretty good alternative to painting by hand. How did you cover yours? Will probably use a mixture of tissue and Oracover depending on my final colour scheme.

What setup have you used, IC or EP?

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have now finished my model and I am very happy with it. Kit went very well together and my homemade lozenge cammo seems to do the trick. I have printed on to tissue paper so it is very delicate but will hopefully survive with he dope an varnish coating now applied. Just need a calm day now for her maiden flight!

I would buy this kit again and may well do so if the flight goes well; or bad.

Would like to know how to make it an IC version though as there didn't seem much space up front without cutting and making a new bulk head. Anyone done this with this model?

**LINK** for pictures. Sorry never seem to be able to upload.

Thanks guys. An underside shot to show the other colour scheme below.

To do the lozenge, I got the pattern from a couple of different web pages, scaled it to what I thought was right and tweaked the colours a little. Then I cut the tissue to A4 size, taped it to a sheet of paper and ran it through the printer. When attaching to the model, I used prittstick then have to apply dope vey carefully after the initial steaming to tighten it. A second coat of dope finishes it nicely hen I applied spray varnish to cover any missed areas and give it a more matt finish. On the underside of the fuselage where there wasn't much for the tissue to attach to, I applied a white oracover sheet first then stuck the tissue to that.

I have the ailerons on one channel at the moment so will see what I can do regards the differential point. Thank you!

img_1595 (edited).jpg

A colour scheme you might like to use.

All yellow with a black chequer between the crosses on the top wing. It was flown by Von Braun's Jagstaffel.

If anyone finds a picture of this aircraft I would like to see it.

How do I know of the colour scheme?

My father was shot down by this aircraft in 1918. He was observer in a DH 4

I should mention that my father was officially credited with 6 kills from that rear seat

Edited By Peter Miller on 09/09/2017 10:49:51

I've just bought the DVII, (got to finish the Grumpy Tigercub before starting though). A couple of questions though if I may:

Are there any modifications you would suggest to the air frame? As it is a kit and I'll be using it as sport/scale I'm not averse to making modifications to improve flying

Though I've built a couple of dozen models from plans this will be the first laser cut kit I've made, in the past I've read that you should sand away the laser burnt carbon edges -with modern cutters is this necessary? I'll be using mainly ailiphatic glue as cyano gives me the runs (nose that is).

I'll probably split the fuselage just behind the cockpit and strengthen appropriately so as to improve storage -I've got to the stage where the hobby room is full, it is one in/ one out but if I store this in one piece it will have to be one in/ two out

Thank you for any advice

Hi, I haven't made any mods to the kit other than having to expand the holes to fit the servos in.

I didn't sand away the burnt areas except where there was to be glue contact which wasn't much. didn't seem to cause me any issues applying he coverings either.

Glue wise, I have used UHU, Prittstick and Cyano, but there is no reason why the Aili won't work as well.

The wings go on relatively easily and quickly (5 screws and the wing struts clip in), so I wouldn't halve the fuselage as you may have to connect the servos for the rudder and elev each time.