SFM Fokker DVII Kit

Well I finally got to fly her yesterday and it went very well, 20 minutes. No extra lead needed for trim with a 3S3300 battery right up front. Flew with a 12x5 JXF prop and the stock motor out of my Parkzone Spitfire MkIX. Each battery lasted 5 minutes and left me with 35% after landing, so plenty of spare if needed.

Hope the video works if not I'll put a separate link in.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a really surprising model from SFM . I thought for what it costs less than £98 doesn't matter if I have to put a load of effort in to make it fly properly. I was wrong it is very well engineered with some good ideas, e.g. The canopy latch, & sprung u/c . Once trimmed she flys very steadily, loops well but limited aileron authority. I would love to build another with lozenge covering but I am the worlds worst artist. Why doesn't some enterprising covering manufacturer

produce some for me 👍

• 10 months later...

So just as an update, having made a DVIII and a DR1 more recently and based their scheme on real aircraft, it made my first DVII look a bit odd with the red and white checks. So this week I decided to amend the colour scheme to something more realistic from 1918. Much happier with it and she now doesn’t stand out as much.

76396285-abd5-49de-b9c7-d4bb7dcf9c68.jpeg

74b6abc1-3e47-4cb7-b766-7998ea33e647.jpeg

fd50cdb4-cebc-4dfa-948f-e1c0cbe73fd5.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Peter, I remember looking for a photo or picture of the aircraft you talk of but haven't managed to match the description. Mine is based on these 2 aircraft with some obvious artistic licence for ease of reproduction and colour.

dvii yellow red.jpg

ad+11+fokker+d-vii.jpg

The nearest I get to black checks is as below. Is this what you mean?

yellow black checks.jpg

• 3 years later...

After 4 years, I'm finally getting round to building the kit I got from 4max.....

I'm planning to use film for covering with the wing underside different to the topside. I've covered a fair few models previously but always had plenty of balsa at the leading edge for the film to adhere to. On this model the wing leading edge is dowel and quite thin.

What do you do in this case, do you add a strip of balsa on say the underside to give a firm surface to attach the film to, or will the film attach sufficiently  film on film without support underneath?

Any advice appreciated

I think you'll need to add some additional support - perhaps even creating a small 'D' box as the leading edge is very thin.  Or riblets.  I had to have the overlap a fair way back from the LE to find a flattish area.

Alternatively, paint it?

In either case, they fly quite nicely, and look good.

• Like 1