Free Flight Ray Malmstrom Skygipsy with AE 0.2cc

• 4 years later...

Fast forward to November 2020. I have enlarged the plan to 54" span, and intend to go from free flight to rc 4 channel, an interesting project in lockdown.

Currently thinking of an old OS 25 FP to power it, but have OS 40 LA in the cupboard if required

img_6643.jpg

Edited By Dave Cunnington on 24/11/2020 22:05:07

Edited By Dave Cunnington on 24/11/2020 22:06:11

• 4 weeks later...

A classic model Dave, a good idea to supersize it. yes I have Christian Moes electric Sky Gipsy twin plan from RCMW mag - too many models and not enough time!

Just a question. Is the extra balsa platform raising the tank position necessary, as from the photo the centre of the tank looks well above the carb spraybar? I may be wrong 1) because the photo is deceptive 2) I am not really an engine man 3) probably doesn't make any difference anyway! I only queried it because I was concerned that a high tank position might flood your inverted engine. Also your inverted engine installation could potentially make disconnecting the glow clip after engine starting a little tricky. Just a thought smile d

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 20/12/2020 05:55:54

Very good thoughts, Piers, thank you.

In my limited flying experience I have only ever used upright engines. This one is inverted, which looks better, and means the sticking up engine head is not the initial point of contact in a "whoops" arrival.

Yes, I am planning a remote connection for the glow stick.

Regarding tank level, the current "floor " for the tank looks right, but I can always remove it after a final assessment.

I am building everything internal onto this one fuselage side before adding the other.

Regards DC

Another alternative Dave would be to mount the engine 'sidewinder style' which would might avoid damage to a sticking up cylinder head as well as obviating the need for a remote glow stick, but I expect you already considered that. It might also be an idea to drill a hole in the front ply former too before assembly, should the battery needs to go in the nose. Hope you don't mind me adding my 2p worth.

Yes, I am doing the same thing with my Spateman build and adding it all onto one fuselage side before adding the other as I won't be able to get my fingers in after!

Any 2p is gratefully accepted Piers !

Yes, sidewinder is an option but I preferred either up or down........whatever, it can be a late decision, and the sidewinder would lift the carb up a bit , and also give room for a bigger pilot.

Just for entertainment I've been playing with ideas. My son has a 3D printer and will provide me with a Dan Dare Pilot and a Mekon for the passenger compartment, so I wondered how it might look !

img_6656.jpg

Edited By Dave Cunnington on 20/12/2020 15:45:46

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 20/12/2020 05:28:37:

I am not really an engine man 3) probably doesn't make any difference anyway! I only queried it because I was concerned that a high tank position might flood your inverted engine.

It may seem counter intuitive but an inverted 2 stroke is less likely to flood (or suffer hydraulic lock) than one mounted upright.

Edited By PatMc on 20/12/2020 22:17:22

• 5 weeks later...
Posted by PatMc on 20/12/2020 22:15:33:
Posted by Piers Bowlan on 20/12/2020 05:28:37:

I am not really an engine man 3) probably doesn't make any difference anyway! I only queried it because I was concerned that a high tank position might flood your inverted engine.

It may seem counter intuitive but an inverted 2 stroke is less likely to flood (or suffer hydraulic lock) than one mounted upright.

Edited By PatMc on 20/12/2020 22:17:22

Yeah, of course. And the moon's made out of green cheese.