Precedent T180

• 2 weeks later...

An advert for Bagnells Models offered the T180 for £64.25 in Oct 95 and the T240 £101. Wish i had bought a dozen! But if I had only filled my car up with balsa at the last Wings & Wheels..........

To put it in perspective that 1995 RCME cost £2.00

It's interesting to figure out why the T180 is so desired yet they don't bother to make kits now. But I suppose the answer is the same as why were all the great artists starving when they were painting all their best work which now sells for millions!

Much appreciated kc

It is desireable.

6 foot span, stable platform, glides well, broad range of powerplant, went together quickly if you needed to get into the air quickly from a previous mishap.

Rough and tough as a trainer, with big wheels on sturdy landing gear, and cavernous inside.

Even at £64.25 you didn't feel hard done by as every thing in the box fitted together.

That was also the 1st time That I came across " liteply "

Edited By Denis Watkins on 31/01/2021 12:16:06

I have a 1996 SLEC catalogue (no idea why - I'm just a hoarder) and the T180 was £79.95 with built-up wings and £83.95 with foam wings.

Just for interest:

T240 £125.95

Fun fly £58.95 - I built 2 and passed my 'A' with one powered by a ST34

Stampe 1/4 scale £142.95

1/3 scale Turbulent £135

1/4 scale Champ £125.95

No idea why everything was £x.95p. I suppose for the same reason everything was x/11p when I was young

I would have thought the Turbulent might sell well now. It's not huge at 86" ws with modest power requirements of .60/1.08 2 stroke or 90 upwards 4 stroke.

Geoff

A quick look at the SLEC website shows the T240 is still available and actually says it's in stock at £252 today! Also the Sky 40 at £116 in stock. others we have mentioned here like the Funfly are out of stock though.

These brand new kits seem a better buy than an old kit off ebay which might not even be complete.

Edited By kc on 31/01/2021 12:46:58

Posted by Martin Harris - Moderator on 30/01/2021 20:35:36:

£185 !

Not such a silly price as it might first appear. The T240 kit is roughlly double the 1996 price, so the if the T180 was available from Slec as well it would be around £160. And we all know after years of being tempted by the price of a kit and blind to the fact the completed model, with power source, electronics, covering etc, is getting on for double

Geoff