Magazines gone under

Guvnor

I wonder what will happen to the plans from ADH magazines. There are so many good designs amongst Aviation Modeller Int, Flying Scale Models, Model Flyer and recent Aeromodeller ( old Aeromodeller plans will still be in MyHobbystores )

Lets hope someone rescued the plans and puts them into Aeromodeller.

The Aeromodeller title has value and no doubt a deal was done at the last minute. All Aeromodeller plans should go with the title under normal circumstances. I'm sure Andrew won't let go that easily and wish him all the best with the new publishers. It will be very interesting to see who has taken it up. I hope he doesn't end up giving away a free plane part every month. wink

As regards the rest of the magazines, including any copyright material (plans, articles etc), then I think the liquidators will be looking to get whatever they can for them. So if your interested, get your hands in your pockets. indecision

I'm sure this won't be the last publisher with problems over this coming winter. Printed paper is rapidly going out of fashion (See The Bank of England for details).

kevinb Crystal round thing department.

Edited By kevin b on 29/09/2016 19:11:12

I think the other titles like Aviation Modeller Int, Flying Scale Models and Model Flyer would have far more plans than the modern Aeromodeller. ever did. Lots of David Boddington , Peter Miller plans and many others were in those titles. AMI, FSM and MF were all titles started/edited by Boddo snr so lets hope jnr retains the plans at least. Some magnificent scale designs there and lots of worthwhile sports planes too.

FSM featured a lot of good electric designs from Peter Rake and build articles to go with them. Glad I didn't rush to renew my digital only subscription through PocketMags !.

I've gone digital for the past 2 years in an attempt to cut down on paper, but to be honest it's not really as satisfying as the mag coming through the letterbox... It would be a shame to lose FSM altogether but maybe it's a bit too much of a niche publication? sad

Norm

In many respects i am not surprised that a magazine/publishing group is ceasing to trade and attempting to liquidate its assets. One of my close relatives, some 10-15 years ago closed there publishing arm of the business. The reason being was that limited opportunities existed to making any money, in this era. Although making a heavy loss was very real.

As a modeller i want the plans to be available. if i were a business person I would steer clear of the plan business, unless I obtained the copyright to the plans at an extremely low price. The reason being is that there are so many plans currently available, many essentially free. The other aspect i i held all the copyrights, the next issue is that of marketing and making any sensible money out of the venture.

I am sure that there will be interest, and also commitment although any business will only succeed out of love for modelling, not a wish to make money, or a living.

Well put Erfolg. yes

Model aeroplane plans haven't made the copyright owners a real return for many years. By the time they have paid the associated costs in archiving, printing, and the man/woman hours involved in the process of finding/producing the plans there is very little profit in it and don't forget that for every £6.00 you pay for a plan £1.00 goes straight out in VAT.

David seems to have hit on the best idea. reprint the old plans as additional freebies with the magazine. That does make business sense and in doing so, the plans are now stored digitally. Much easier to look after than dyeline prints. As well as being available to a newer generation of model builders. smiley

I e-mailed PocketMags earlier this week regarding rumours of ADH's failure and subscriptions still being offered. It took a few days to get a response . I particularly mention FSM and Aeromodeller; response:

"... I'm not sure where you came across such rumours, but we've not heard anything to corroborate those here at Pocketmags. I know a few of their foreign-language titles have been discontinued recently, but that's fairly standard in the industry. "

From the Companies Court Winding Up List, Cause list Monday, 3 October 2016 we have entry

18. CR-2016-002733 ADH Publishing Limited

I 'll play safe and NOT renew my subscription to FSM until the situation clarifies. Hoping for the best for the mag's future...

Norm

Sound like PocketMags are in the poop as well. If they aren't aware of their suppliers current legal situation, then I certainly wouldn't be wanting to deal with them. If they have handled the subscriptions, then they will be responsible to the customers, not the publisher. At least that is how it appears to me.

• 1 month later...