2.4 and carbon

Not been into the 2.4 for long and was interested in using it in a carbon kevlar fuz, any experiances from anyone would be of interest.

Do the aerials need to protrude through the fuz. or is it safe for them to be all internal, bearing in mind there is not a lot of room in the fuz of an electric glider.

I seem to recollect a diagram of a fuz showing how to mount the twin r/x with cutouts in the fuz. but cannot find it again, any ideas.

Any info much appreciated.

Happy landings,

Derek

COMMUNICATIONS WITH HORIZON HOBBIES

Letter sent 28th December 2006

I purchased a new DX7 system from a UK dealer & have a few questions.

1) Surprised to find no charger or flight battery pack in the set.

The items sold in North America come with a charger. If that is different in the UK you will have to ask the place you purchased it from.

2) Are the supplied servos suitable for 6v supply, & what are the torque specifications

The servos will work fine with 6V input. They are rated at 72 oz/in @ 4.8v, 88 oz/in @6v

3) The manual is very poor – the illustration of the transmitter is quite unlike the actual item – & the illustration is for a mode 2 set, yet mine is mode1. As the mode has to be specified at the time of purchase, the least you could do is illustrate the right one. Various errors are found in the text of the manual also, & although there is mention of a “mix” switch, no such switch actually exists –I presume they refer to the flight mode switch, which is sometimes referred to as the flap switch – which also is not labelled as such…very confusing !!

I will be happy to pass along your frustrations with the manual. All the assumptions you have made are correct.

3) Although trainer function is mentioned, no indication of WHICH other transmitters can or cannot be used as a slave – I presume that my other JR sets will be compatible ?? – why is this not covered?

The unit works with almost any other transmitter for training if you have the proper cord. It is just like using a JR transmitter.

4) No mention made of how to bind the system when not using a switch harness, such as on a BEC enabled electric setup.

To bind without the switch you can just plug the bind plug into the battery channel and the battery itself into any other channel.

5) Will the receiver(s) work completely satisfactorily when enclosed within a carbon fibre, or metallic painted fuselage.

Yes, they will work when enclosed in CF.

I suppose a fuz with a lot of carbon in it is really not too dissimilar to a Faraday cage.

Having said that, I put the aerials inside my X-Wing fuz as this only seemed to have one narrow strip of carbon going down each side.  I kept the aerials as far away from the carbon strips as possible.  It all works fine.

My Futaba instructions say don't put the aerials inside or within one inch of a carbon or metal structure, which is why I felt it was OK providing it was not close to the carbon strips.