Kwik Fli 40

Martyn K

Thanks kc

Yes a very good point.I always really considered the middle clamp to stop the leg from sliding sideways but of course there will be a toque load on it as well.

I'll double check on the materials list, I have since thought about a couple of other items needed. 1/16 sheet is the biggie tough

Martyn

The two fuselages got their first public airing at the pub last night (club meet - honest) and no horror stories were identified.

So cracking on with the wing. Apologies for the lack of progress reports etc, but I did set myself a rather challenging deadline...

The webs between the front spars have been fitted - grain vertical an then sanded back flush with the top of the spar. I put the webs behind the spar as I believe that it adds greater stiffness.

Once the spars and LE were in place it was time to add the TE sections. The upper side added first and also encloses/covers the ailerons. This helps keep everything nice and flat. I will separate the ailerons after the lower sheeting has been added/completed.

dscn3259.jpg

Cut the sheet slightly too wide and almost cover the rear spar. Need to leave about 2mm at the edge to provide a base for the cap strips. Fit both halved, using begs to secure the sheet to the ribs and the rear spar

dscn3260.jpg

When dry, trim back the TE sheet to the chord width, not the end of the ribs and carefully sand a very slight chamfer - not to a point though or it will warp when the glue is applied. You can see the chamfer in this shot. Note that the bottom sheet does not cover the aileron - yet

dscn3261.jpg

The ply dihedral brace is added. Only links the centre 2 bays but will get additional reinforcement when I fit the u/c bearers which run across the centre section

dscn3262.jpg

The upper LE sheeting added with lots of pegs and pins to hold it in place. The upper centre sheeting has also been added.

That's it for tonight. Tomorrow its the undercarriage and wing bolt plates and the first dry fit of the wing to the fuselage. That is when I will really find out whether the CAD is accurate...

Sorry its all a bit terse but I need to spend more time building and less time typing.

More to come

Martyn

The KF4 has been put aside until the wing ribs arrive from Dylan

So getting on with the KF3.

I know the undercarriage layout I am suggesting will upset some. I cant claim its my idea though, I stole it from Mick Reeves who used it on the new Gangster. It never failed on my model, although I have made a few changes

dscn3263.jpg

The hardwood block that doubles as a wing brace and torque block for the undercarriage - 12x6 mm beech inlaid into the centre rib and out just past the next rib on each side (W2). To accommodate the dihedral, the slot in the centre is about 1mm deeper than at the next rib. This is glued to the ply dihedral brace

dscn3264.jpg

The 3mm ply undercarriage mounting plates inlaid into W2,3 and 4 and glued to the webs behind the spar.

dscn3265.jpg

25x12x6 hardwood blocks glued under the plate and butted to the rib. These carry the wood screws that hold the saddle clamps. Sorry for the messy glue. I only spotted it after the photo was taken

The plate is also reinforced with 6mm triangle strip to the web

dscn3267.jpg

The undercarriage legs are bent and clamped as shown. This wont break and I actually think that it is stronger than a conventional hardwood block. There is more surface area to carry the impact load and the torsion load is transmitted to the torque block linked to the dihedral brace.

So - now I have a fuselage, a wing and an undercarriage - so time for a dry fit

dscn3269.jpg

Weight at this point is 1.31kg . that is with engine, fuel tank and 1 servo in the tail at the moment. Looking like its heading for an AUW of 1.7kg - less than 4lbs.. It will be very Kwik

Time to get on with ailerons.

dscn3272.jpg

The ailerons are top hinged with a slot in the lower side. The push rod actuation point should (ideally) be in line with the hinge. This means that conventional horns would be difficult to fit. Two hand crafted horns from glassfibre sheet created with slots to fit into the upper and lower aileron spars,

dscn3270.jpg

Dry fit tested

dscn3271.jpg

then glued into place using epoxy

dscn3273.jpg

The exact location depends on the servo arm that will be used. Because of the actuation distance from the push rod linkage to the hinge, a long servo arm will be needed. Adjust the width then pack into place with balsa each side and allow to dry.

Back on the fuselage, the rear servos (standard size) have been fitted into the fuselage. I was intending to use Midi sized servos but the CG was looking like it was a little too forward and I had these Spekky servos spare.

dscn3274.jpg

I dont like them sitting too proud so a 3mm ply securing plate was fabricated and glued around the full sized slot cut into the fuselage side. Its a very tight fit but both elevator and rudder servos have been test fitted and removed while the glue dries

dscn3275.jpg

They fit...One on top of the other on opposite sides

dscn3276.jpg

Horrible woodwork that will be cleaned up when the glue dries.

More to come

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 18/11/2016 21:50:56

The tiny defects Martyn mentions look like dents. Those tiny dents could probably be fixed without any time or effort by the old trick of putting a tiny drip of water into the recess and just letting it swell the balsa. It's magic! Far better than filler! ( I expect Martyn knows this trick but there will be others watching this who perhaps do not )

Cheers kc

Yes - I use the water trick, its a great way of removing dings - especially those caused by putting a newly sheeted wing down on something hard on the bard while you sand down the other side. It only takes a little water and best applied with a brush rather than spray - you don't want the wood to warp

The problem I had with the cut outs was the refusal of anew scalpel to cut through the balsa cleanly... a little bit of hacking was required. It will be invisible when the servo is fitted but that is not the point...

Nothing done today, I have been out for the day Christmas shopping

Martyn

Martyn, hopefully you are shopped out now and back at the building board(s). I don't fancy the MB Skywriter myself but a Kwik Fli 40 - Electric, is another matter. I have an Axi 2826/12 and several 4s LiPos which would be suitable I think. So yes, I would like to build one when you have the finalised plan ready. If you were able to email the PDF plan as an attachment that would be fantastic, I can get it economically printed locally.

Following the rest of your builds with interest and good luck with the maidens.

That's great - thanks Piers. Plans are very nearly ready to release. I was going to do two variants of plane. A set that is organised for optimised tile printing and another standard set plus DXF files for those who want to use their favourite laser cutter. The first laser cut set of parts for the E version of the 4-40 should be with me tomorrow or Friday, I'll build the wing and if all OK I'll publish the plans

Best wishes

Martyn

Martyn, any thoughts about the aileron hinging. Would (on this size) it be possible to create a hinge using the film used to cover the wings?

A 2.5m glider I have uses tape hinges for both flaps and ailerons (using clear cellotape). This has hold for 3 years now and that plane often flies faster then my F3A planes.

Lucas.

Apologies for the delay. I have been away for 2 days and additionally, 2 nights total lack of sleep have taken their toll.

Lucas - yes - top hinging is not a problem, You would just need to adjust the rake of the aileron slightly but that could easily be accommodated. I would use a heavy film rather than sellotape if using an ic model though.. I would hinge from both sides though. Hinge and seal the top, fold it over so the aileron is lying flat on the wing then hinge the lower edge.

A bit of progress on the KF40-3. Still waiting for the KF4-40 parts though

dscn3277.jpg

Aileron(s) has now been separated. You can see the web supporting the aileron horn here

dscn3278.jpg

Balsa hinge blocks glued into place. These are from two pieces of 3mm balsa but not glued in the centre where the Mylar hinge will be fitted

The whole lot is then carefully sanded to get the correct rake - top 4.5mm as well

dscn3279.jpg

The rear edge of the wing is sheeted with 1.5mm balsa in the aileron well and blocks added for the hinges on the wing side. Again - not glued along the upper edge where the hinge will be fitted

dscn3281.jpg

The aileron section looks like this (before it gets a final sanding polish). The hinge line is along the lower edge of the upper spar.

dscn3283.jpg

While the glue was drying, the beams for the aileron servos have been added. The slot is offset slightly because I got it wrong and didn't allow a big enough gap to get the servo cable out.. blush

dscn3284.jpg

While that glue was drying, the elevators were cut out, sanded and joined using 14swg piano wire - not dowel as I have drawn on the plan.. Another correction..

dscn3285.jpg

And while that was drying, I finished the cowl. Note the hardwood blocks top and bottom that locate on the nylon mount and support the self tap screws. Probably the best fitting cowl I have ever made..

dscn3286.jpg

And the 1/32 ply reinforcement where the silencer is located..A worthwhile addition.

dscn3287.jpg

The bearers for the engine throttle servo added. I'll be using a MG90S but modified to sit in rubber grommets, easily done, simply drill the retaining holes to M4

dscn3288.jpg

The model has been covered and trimmed and it weighs this much less the flight battery and receiver. 3,77lbs in old money so the sub 4lb target will be achieved

And it looks like this

dscn3289.jpg

and

dscn3290.jpg

and

dscn3291.jpg

This is 1967. The BMFA didn't exist and aeromodellers were engineers

dscn3292.jpg

Elevator and Rudder Servos inlaid into the fuselage

dscn3294.jpg

Carbon Fibre push rods and a little camera shake..(sorry)

dscn3293.jpg

Underneath has my now standard contrast/invasion stripes

and

dscn3295.jpg

Posted by IanN on 23/11/2016 09:11:48:

Yes, I'm also definitely in for one of these. An E if I already have the components to hand, otherwise it'll be i.c.

I've decided that I rather fancy a go at the Kwik Fli 40 IV

Having hunted through the various draws full of bits it seems I already have a suitable electric powertrain aswell as a few Irvines looking fro a good home, so I'm spoiled for choice

Thanks Ian - that's great.

The KF4-40 Electric parts arrived on Tuesday and I needed to carry out a sanity check.

dscn3299.jpg

This is what the 'kit' looks like. There were a couple of drafting errors, the long battery tray was 1mm too wide at F2 and F3 - easily fixed on the drawing, the lower ESC hatch was 2mm too long - again - easily fixed. One stupid error was that I had 4 of W8 and no W6 - so that has been fixed as well. I had to cut 2 W6 this morning.

One problem I do have is that I assumed that 3mm ply would be - well - 3mm thick. It clearly varies as this ply was only 2.75mm wide. So the interlocking front section is a bit sloppy. I am not sure what to do about that at the moment. I have checked other 3mm ply that I have and there does seem to be a slight variation in thickness.

Last night I tile printed the plan out - 6 sheets of A4 for 1/2 wing - and joined it up. Another slight error which I am not sure where it came from is that the main spar on the plan seems slightly displaced. It may be a parallax error but I am not losing sleep over it.

So, this morning, I hacked through the ice to get to the shed and started building the wing.

Main spar pinned down. Note the doublers. The slots in the ribs are 6mm square, I am using 1/4" square so the slots need opening very slightly..

dscn3303.jpg

The 300mm rules gently weigh the ribs down so they sit flat on the building tabs.

Again - note the offset to the end of the doublers.

dscn3304.jpg

All fitting nicely..

More to come

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress:

W1 is split to allow the doubler to be fitted. It is better to do this before you glue it into place

dscn3309.jpg

Set the dihedral before the brace is glued. I use clamps to gently hold it together while the glue sets.

dscn3310.jpg

Use the build tabs in the wing half that is lifted to make sure you don't build a twist into the wing. Prop a suitably sized piece of wood to set the correct dihedral angle.

dscn3313.jpg

While the glue was drying I fabricated a couple of aileron horns from Glassfibre sheet. I did consider trying to fit shop bought horns by angling them forward but it looked messy and compromised the structure too much. The shape isn't critical - a large glue area is a good idea though

dscn3314.jpg

With the horn glued into place (with slow setting epoxy) against the end rib of the aileron, the lower aileron sheet was added.

I was asked it the ailerons can be top hinged. The answer is basically yes - but instead of fitting the 1/16" balsa aileron cap sheet on top of the ribs, it will need to be inlaid like this.

dscn3318.jpg

Its a bit tricky but not too difficult. The 1/16" balsa cap on the TE of the wing for the ailerons is still fitted on top of the ribs.

dscn3319.jpg

This is what the (blurred) cross section looks like at the end of the aileron. You can see there is not a lot of the top spar left after sanding to fit.

dscn3315.jpg

The 3mm ply wing bolt support plate added. Another oversight on the plan - I forgot to include slots for the plate

All these minor errors will be corrected.

dscn3316.jpg

Undercarriage mounting plates added - after the webs have been fitted. A moment of panic when I couldn't find one of them. Eventually traced to the dustbin... You can see the balsa infill above the hardwood brace between the the plates The rear half of the W1 and the 1/16" ply dihedral brace added as well

dscn3317.jpg

The short hardwood block (4 off required) for the saddle clamp screws and triangle section between the plate and the web

dscn3321.jpg

Another thing I had overlooked was the missing half rib 4W7C that holds the aileron servo blocks. This is a replica of the main 4W7 rib and will need to be trimmed to fit depending on the width of the aileron servos that you choose to fit. This part is now included in the wing rib cut files.

dscn3322.jpg

With it all assembled and sat on its undercarriage legs it looks like this

dscn3323.jpg

and some seasonal decoration

dscn3324.jpg

Underneath - you can see the lower vented hatch in this shot.

Quite pleased with that. Running about 3 weeks late but it was a bit of a silly challenge to take on in hindsight.

Next job is fit the aileron servos, get an estimate for the loaded CG, fit the R/E servos in the rear or in the fus and cover it

Nearly done.

More to come

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 13/12/2016 14:10:19

Thanks Percy. When completed, I will have 4 different KF variants to choose from and I am still thinking about building a 115% version of the IV for an OS120FS. Something about this design I just love - I think its the Fin shape, but the whole model just looks so right.

Martyn

There are 2 versions described in this blog. A Kwik Fli III (as used by Phil Kraft to win the 1967 W/C) with parallel chord wing and the Kwik Fli IV (used by Larry Leonard to win the 1969 US Nationals) with tapered wing. That was the last of the KF line..

Both have been scaled by about 0.9 (just slightly less in fact) to accomodate a 40 sized IC or electric equivalent

There are IC and electric versions of both - so a total of 4 options to choose from. Its like trying to choose a dessert in a good quality restaurant..