Malyan M180 3D Printer Thread

Ian Jones

Ken - sounds kick you may need to check the calibration of your printer.

As you know the X,Y,Z movement is controlled via stepper motors and the number of steps per mm are held in the firmware.

What you do is to print off a calibration piece of, say, 100mm in each axis. (Thingiverse has a few, e.g. this)

Once it is printed then go into your firmware and note the steps/mm for each axis. On my M150 you can do this from the front panel. Now measure the calibration piece and from that you can calculate any correction required.

For example, let's say the current X steps/mm is set to 64. You measure the X arm of the piece to be 102mm instead of 100mm. This means that too many steps are being sent and you can calculate the correct number of steps from 100/102*64 = 62.75. You now enter this into the X steps/mm in the firmware. Repeat for the other 2 axis.

Once done DONT FORGET TO SAVE!! If you forget, then the next time you switch the printer on it will use the old values.

On my M150 it only needed decimal changes but the improvement was measurable.

Hope this helps.

Edited By Colin Bernard on 31/01/2017 04:19:33

I would think that Colin's advice will do the job.

However as I said I'd seen something on the matter and would look for it, now I've found it I'll pass on the info anyway.

On the Malyan website there's information on full recaibration of the all axis, that can be found here and there's also a video, as shown below.

hi again,

Thanks Ian and Colin, read that 'walkthrough' Ian, finally had a chance to look at the calibration, I've printed the 20mm block supplied with the software, noted the error ( 0.76mm undersize in Y) now all I need to do is find the firmware! - anyone tell me where it is hiding? (I've said before that I'm a bit lost when it comes to computer programming etc) is it on the printer or part of the slicer software?

regards

Ken

Edited By Ken Lighten on 05/02/2017 16:28:29

I THINK I may be going down the right path now after a lot of interweb searching!,

using the ReplicatorG program that came with the printer, I loaded it into a desktop folder rather than into the program files (rightly or wrongly, but it seems to allow me to alter things when not in the program fies)

I then opened the 'machines' file followed by the 'Malyan system' XML document, this has the steps per mm figures (takes a bit of faff to find it but it's there!)

I then altered the 'Y' figures as per Colins advise earlier.

I printed a block and it still exhibited the same dimensional discrepancy so I figured that the calibrated block would have been created using the old parameters so opened it in ReplicatorG and then saved it again as a new item on the SD card.

Printed a calibration block and viola and quel surprise a 20 X 20 X 10 block hoorah!!

with this in mind, I am currently printing an axis model created in Fusion 360 with a 100 X10 X 10mm arm in all 3 axis which is already dimensionaly out (checked during the print process) so will then repeat the process of changing the steps per mm to suit and then reprint it to see if it corrects OK, then ANOTHER axis model to prove the concept followed by a circular object to see if it too is correct. IF this is OK I will use this program and settings for my own designs and Makerbot for downloaded ones as they SEEM to print OK with it - phew!

probably completely wrong!

Ken

Me again,

one other thing I did find when staring desperately at my printer was that the short belt that drives the Y axis isn't tension regulated like the other 3 belts. On closer inspection I found that the tension is adjusted by the fact that the Y stepper motor is mounted using slotted holes which aren't long enough to take out the backlash fully. releasing the motor, attacking the slots with a fine round file and refitting the motor has taken all the backlash out - did this before doing everything in my previous post by the way

Ken

Edited By Ken Lighten on 07/02/2017 16:27:33

That sounds right Ken. Though the M180 machine should have already been loaded:

untitled-6.jpg

Regarding 'Program Files' v a desktop folder for Replicator G it shouldn't make any difference though perhaps your windows profile needs to be at Administrator level. Personally I don't use ReplicatorG at all anymore.

Not that I can see on the M180 Colin,

there is a screen for calibrating but I think its for head alignment of the 2 extruders as the adjustable figures are not step related - You would have thought the Malyan website would be of help! there is a very good chance that its just me thinking like an engineer and not a programmer

I feel another internet trawl coming on

Edited By Ken Lighten on 07/02/2017 20:55:37

I don't know how close the M180 control software is to the M150, but I will take a look at mine in the morning and let you know what my options are. May be of some use.

In the meantime I have done a bit of a Google and the Malyan Wiki simply refers to ReplicatorG and Cura, nothing within the firmware itself. 

Edited By Colin Bernard on 07/02/2017 22:01:36

OK - so here is how I set the steps/mm for the M150. As I say I do not know the M180 so this may be totally irrelevant!

From the main menu, take the 'Control' option...

Control...

From there into 'Motion'...

Motion...

And now I have access to the steps/mm values. I change each as required...

Steps/mm...

Finally we save via the 'Store Memory' option...

And save!

After many attempts with varying dimensions it is quite possible/likely that the problem is the 3D design software I'm using as the printer seems to print downloaded parts and samples/supplied calibration blocks reasonably well. I'm using Autocad 360 which is recommended by several people, could be that my machine/computer/me combination isn't good, so any other good, 'I'm using this easily with no problems' design software that can be suggested that I could try? - preferably free but at least not in the major engineering company price bracket.

Ken

Posted by Ken Lighten on 23/02/2017 12:50:39:

After many attempts with varying dimensions it is quite possible/likely that the problem is the 3D design software I'm using as the printer seems to print downloaded parts and samples/supplied calibration blocks reasonably well. I'm using Autocad 360 which is recommended by several people, could be that my machine/computer/me combination isn't good, so any other good, 'I'm using this easily with no problems' design software that can be suggested that I could try? - preferably free but at least not in the major engineering company price bracket.

Ken

Interesting Ken, software certainly can affect the scaling of prints, though I wouldn't have expected it at the design stage as that is done without any specific target printer and it's purpose is just to produce a file to hold the 3D model data, typically an stl file. The next stage (or two), which produces the printing file (gcode and/or 3xg), I would expect to be the one(s) causing trouble.

So, just for clarity:

• are you using the exact same software to produce accurate demo prints as for the prints which fail to scale properly?
  • If you are, is there any possibility that printer settings can be different for each one?
  • Do get any messages about invalid/ignored Mcodes?

• 2 months later...

Further to the above, I have just printed a transmitter stick guard which needed to accurately printed so that it would fit on the transmitter. I was very pleased to find the fit was excellent. Well to be honest the second attempt was excellent, on the first one some fool couldn't use a ruler a ruler properly and specified the wrong dimensions, which the of course the printer duly reproduced.

So if it's any help, I sized the model using the measurements shown in MS 3D Builder (comes as part of Windows 10 by the way). I then used Simplify 3D to slice and produce the X3G file.

Simplify 3D has built in support for the Malyan M180.

• 2 months later...