Show Us Your 3D Prints

Ian Jones

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing here yet so I'll make a start.

Having managed to print the test cube and used up my sample of PLA I decided that ABS woudl be the material of choice. This may not turn out to be so but we have to learn! Next peice to print then was something as an ABS test peice but also useful.

windowlifter1.jpg

windowlifter3.jpg

These are guide lifters for my windows, I haven't been able to get any for years, so I made my own.

Here's a selection of things I've 3D printed over the years...

quad.jpg

Most of the items in red (props excluded) are designed and 3D printed by me. They include motor bumpers, Aerial guide, plate spacers, VTX tray and XT-60 holder

Herre's the bumper CAD model:

bumper1.jpg

and here it is in the flesh

bumper4.jpg

The Aerial guides to get the 90° between the wires

aerial right.jpg

The CAD model of the VTX tray for the back of the ZMR250 QuadCopter

vtxt1.jpg

And the VTX tray in the real world

vtxt4.jpg

Next up are some parts for my Tricopter. The items in Red are again 3D printed

tricopter.jpg

On the right there is a VTX tray which also holds the LiPO voltage checker and the Loc8tor tragging tag. On the left is the FPV camera mount with built in aerial guides and servo mount to enable the FPV camera to be pitch stabilised.

vtx-camera.jpg

Next is the CAD model of my version of the Super Simple Gimbal designed by a chap who goes by the name of Crezzee on t'other forum (**LINK**

ssg1.jpg

Next up is the CAD models for an ACES II ejection seat from an A-10 Thunderbolt II.

model1.jpg

And the 3D Printed model of the seat. Shoudl have made it hollow, it was way too heavy in all it's solid glory!

img_4607a.jpg

img_4608a.jpg

And finally some scale Tornado GR4 tailpipes for a recent PSS Tornado build project.

tailpipe1.jpg

painted tailpipe.jpg

(Tornado Tailpipes Photo Credit Phil Cooke)

Been out of reach of a decent 3D printer for a while now... missing it!

Rez

All of these parts modelled and printed by me :

Spinner for the intake on my 6th scale A10 :

2015-04-28 20.17.17.jpg

Details parts for same A10 (HUD, vents, GPS, APU, access door etc.) :

2015-04-06 15.40.13.jpg

A ball turret for the belly of my 12th scale B24 :

2015-03-30 13.54.21.jpg

Me109 spinner, Mig 3 spinner, Typhoon cannons, Me109 exhaust stacks :

20160224_190232.jpg

200mm dia Bristol Pegasus engine for a Fairey Swordfish (painted up, ready for a customer) :

20161013_123831.jpg

CAD assy of the same engine :

engine assy 1.jpg

Dummy engine for the B24 (single row of the wasp) :

20150730_124359.jpg

I make these for mine (and other's) models - RX holders for FRsky X8R / L9R :

s-l1600.jpg

Edited By Andy Meade on 24/11/2016 10:04:47

All good stuff everyone. Here's a few from me, not so impressive but still useful:

bedadjuster.jpg

The bed on my Malyan M180 was moving during printing so I printed some retaining clips. Thaye worked but they started to wear the padding material underneath so I down loaded and printed these grips for the small adjusters. The extra grip did the jab and allow me to tighten them up properly. Bed doesn't move any more, here's a view from underneath:

bedadjuster3.jpg

My workmate look alike has been pretty handy but a pain since I broke one of the winding handles off, not a problem anymore though:

workmatehandle2newold.jpg

workmatehandle4fitted.jpg

Back to aeromodelling, I needed a few clevises with wider jaws for the struts on my Catalana:

newclevisfitted.jpg

Edited By Ian Jones on 25/11/2016 22:14:46

Can I ask what drawing packages you are using. I have been given a Printrbot which I am running with Cura.

I was thinking about about Turbo Cad 2D/3D from Maplins, but whichever I use needs to be pretty simple for drawing 2D stuff and for trying to do 3D for the printer as I have a very simple brain and my patience is limited!

All of those prints above look incredibly sharp and accurate. How much finishing have you all done to achieve that or are they straight off the printer. Below is what I have done so far, without messing about too much with settings, but I think a bit of experimentation is the next step. I read somewhere that pla varies between different manufacturers. Is this true and where is it best to get it from?

Ian

• 1 month later...

Thanks Ian and Andy.

I think I need a heated bed for ABS which I haven't got, so for the time being I will stick with PLA.

I have messed about with the layer height, but time is the problem at the moment. I bought TurboCad and am slowly finding my way around it. Again, time is the problem. Life is getting in the way.

I think this will be a long term project for me, but so far I am enjoying it.

As at the mement I work almost entirely in Depron I have been exploring ways to use lightweight printed components to work in conjunction with it.

A 'lightweight' 3 mm thick wing rib intended to replace a similar Depron rib.

Big rib

Despite its lightweight (1.9g) the printed rib is nearly 3 times the weight of the same thing in Depron but on the other hand it is considerably stronger and stiffer.

However in an all Depron sheeted wing the extra rib strength of the printed rib is not actually required so the next.step is to use Depron to 'infill' just the printed rib 'outline'. This is also much quicker to print. wink 2

Depron rib 1

Such a composite rib is now only 1.5 times the weight of the plain Depron version yet is very nearly as strong/stiff as the all printed version.

The down side is the Depron has to very accurately cut to fit exactly inside the printed outline so is relatively time consuming to do.

One by product of using this type of rib is that if used in conjunction with balsa leading and trailing edges no Depron actually touches the wing skin so a 'film' or 'tissue & dope' covering could be safely used.

Still working on it

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 15/01/2017 15:54:59

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 15/01/2017 15:53:15:

As at the mement I work almost entirely in Depron I have been exploring ways to use lightweight printed components to work in conjunction with it.

A 'lightweight' 3 mm thick wing rib intended to replace a similar Depron rib.

Big rib

Despite its lightweight (1.9g) the printed rib is nearly 3 times the weight of the same thing in Depron but on the other hand it is considerably stronger and stiffer.

However in an all Depron sheeted wing the extra rib strength of the printed rib is not actually required so the next.step is to use Depron to 'infill' just the printed rib 'outline'. This is also much quicker to print. wink 2

Depron rib 1

Such a composite rib is now only 1.5 times the weight of the plain Depron version yet is very nearly as strong/stiff as the all printed version.

The down side is the Depron has to very accurately cut to fit exactly inside the printed outline so is relatively time consuming to do.

One by product of using this type of rib is that if used in conjunction with balsa leading and trailing edges no Depron actually touches the wing skin so a 'film' or 'tissue & dope' covering could be safely used.

Still working on it

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 15/01/2017 15:54:59

Now that's interesting Simon, by coincidence I'm looking at wing ribs at the moment, again thinking about mixing a build with other materials. I showed some friends my first test print and they felt the internal supports were over engineered, making the rib heavier than it needs to be:

testrib.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

And some more. Just completed my single channel radio set with the Phil Green encoder and printed a large tapered black washer to support the aerial along with a quarter turn latch for the rear access. Once you have the printer the uses keep jumping out at you smiley

p1260046a.jpg

p1260050a.jpg

Posted by BobW on 29/01/2017 11:31:00:

And some more. Just completed my single channel radio set with the Phil Green encoder and printed a large tapered black washer to support the aerial along with a quarter turn latch for the rear access. Once you have the printer the uses keep jumping out at you smiley

p1260046a.jpg

p1260050a.jpg

You're well into it Bob, I can design most basic things but I need to fully master the designing end of the job. There's just no limit after that.

Mills .75cc Electric

Going to make a Vic Smeed Ballerina for my single channel set and as I don't have a suitable vintage engine to go in it I'm going to go electric with it so I've created the look alike Mills to sit on top and cover the motor. Its made with individual cylinder fins fastened onto the body with needle, tank etc all parts 3D printed in silver grey PLA apart from the tank which is translucent PLA. A bit of paint and weathering finished it off.

p2080077a.jpg

Edited By BobW on 08/02/2017 13:15:42

Edited By BobW on 08/02/2017 13:17:25

Edited By BobW on 08/02/2017 13:21:25