Indoor Scale R/C entry Piper Super Cub PA-18

If you have seen the build in the magazine this month of my entry for the Nats then you might be curious as to how it flew. The Nats were cancelled with just a week to go, which was very dissapointing, but it did ease the pressure on me.

This video is of the maiden flight, just a couple of quick circuits to test incidences and power etc. I also had temporary adjustable wing struts so I could try different dihedral angles. My concern was that with scale dihedral the model wouldn't turn well with just rudder elevator. As you can see I needn't have worried.

The landing is pants, with no washout the stall results in a dropped wing. Not an issue if you dont let the speed drop to low. I had way too much elevator throw and made a hash of it.....

Painting and detailing will be covered in a future RCM&E

If you want to have a go at competeing then there are two classes, flying only, where you can use a simple ultra micro indoor RTF and fly some set manouvres. Or you can enter the scale class where the model is statically judged, the model must be built by the entrant, and if also designed by you will garner better points.

The Scale Indoor RC Nats 2017 are on March 26th at RAF Shawbury

Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 02/11/2016 09:27:11

• 2 months later...

Just about sorted the C of G on my little indoor Cub, The flight looks the same as the other vids, but the model is much easier to fly now. Just have to learn the schedule crook One more indoor session remaining at Shawbury before the event. The trouble with indoor sessions is that the place gets quite crwded, and as the competition is getting close now I daren't risk a mid air with the competition model.

I will finish the detailing, and put it away safely until the event on the 26th March.

Cheers
Danny

Very impressive Andy, a great build and encouraging if not a little daunting to see the entries starting to emerge for Shawbury. My Tripehound is now covered and awaiting painting, detailing and rigging. But because I think I won't have time to get it properly sorted I have a plan B entry in mind of a much simpler kind which is more likely to fly steadily.

Thanks Colin, the lens doesn't help and makes it seem quicker than it is. There were others that were faster. I could slow it down but then the tail hung down as you see later in the vid. You will lose points for the "sit" of the model. I need to practice flying it now, but fear the opportunities will be limited. With the Ares and the PZ Cub, I managed more than an hours stick time, and was able to practice the descending circle, chandelles etc. I just hope I can do something similar with the Cub.....

Cheers

Danny

• 2 months later...

For those that are interested the Indoor Nats took place yesterday and I managed to win a Bronze!

It was a fab day, and if you have a hankering to try scale flying competitively this is a great way to experience competition flying without the pressures involved in the outdoor classes.

Cheers

Danny

Thanks John and Simon, thats an interesting question. F4? (Indoor R/C scale) is made up of a flying element as well as a static component. The model that just beat me on static actually finished in fourth. The two models that beat my total flew better than mine did, as simple as that.

Simon you really should have a go it is so different from normal RC that its a really good experience and adds another string to your bow. They are delicate but you get used to build sand snap fix and repeat..... Its not really that bad even my chunky fingers can cope

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 27/03/2017 17:45:41

img_1137.jpgimg_1142.jpgimg_1146.jpgimg_1155.jpgimg_1161.jpgimg_1164.jpgimg_1167.jpgimg_1170.jpgimg_1171.jpgimg_1176.jpgimg_1178.jpgimg_1179.jpgimg_1184.jpgimg_1185.jpgimg_1185.jpgimg_1186.jpgimg_1199.jpgI had a wonderful day, thank you to Danny for getting me hooked. I knew I was on a long shot with my hasty project, but it gave me an excuse to build a model that I wanted to for a long time and even though it's not going to make it as an indoor flyer it will be good outside and I will tackle indoor img_1206.jpga different way. Congratulations to Danny on his well-deserved bronze, I didn't stay to the bitter end so missed the finale, but the quality of some of the models and the flying makes Danny's achievement very credible. I will certainly have another go.

I took a lot of photos but they don't show all of the amazing models, I would encourage anyone to go along and see when they can. Among the pictures are Danny's Cub, a beautiful Sopwith 1 1/2 Struttef and an incredible Short Scion that must have been about 48" wingspan but only weighed 180gms! It literally flew at walking pace.