Indoor Scale R/C entry Piper Super Cub PA-18

Posted by Andy Sephton 1 on 28/03/2017 08:55:14:

STOP PRESS - there was a major error in the result calculation and Danny did, in fact, get a well deserved FIRST PLACE. May I be the first to congratulate him on here: smileysmileysmiley

May also say well done. Blimey you couldn't make it up could you One Tenor

• 9 months later...

I realise this is an old thread, but I thought you may be interested in a bit of re-work being carried out on the Cub ready for this years indoor RC scale Nats at Shawbury in early March.

I felt the model would benefit from having ailerons, so I have made another set of wings and included ailerons

dsc_2269.jpg

dsc_2266.jpg

25358344_10212255929528305_1784683850542526986_o.jpg

20180102_112259.jpg

20180102_112252.jpg

each wing will have an aileron servo, again from the Parkzone Micro series. These little servos weigh 1.4g though my extensions have increased that weight slightly. The copper wire is 36AWG varnished motor winding wire, solderig the stuff stretched my dexterity that is for sure!

Cheers

Danny

• 8 months later...
Hi Graham, really pleased that you are giving the Cub a go. The cub didnt need very much at all, even in just rudder elevator! A couple of mm under each tip is more than enough. I was able to shorten and lengthen the struts to adjust this.
Look forward to seeing your progress, it's not an easy build but very sattisfying
Cheers
Danny

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your quick response. I am glad only a couple of mm is needed as I am building mine with "plug" in wings and I will be able to keep the pins horizontal, much easier. What first attracted me to the Cub apart from the appearance was the method of construction of the ribs and flying surfaces. So far this is going well. The cowl will be interesting as I have never attempted a fiberglass job before. If I have any problems I will be in touch.

Regards

Graham

• 5 months later...

A quick update, the Indoor R/C Scale Nats are scheduled for May 12th so still time if you want to enter in flying only, or even a quick scale build These little models don't take too long to put together

I will be flying my Cub with the aileron wings in scale, and either my Champ or Se5a in Flying Only.

white hat savage se.jpg

white hat savage 2 se .jpg

white hat savage se.jpg

Not had much practice so just making up the numbers really, but you never know smile p

How are you getting on Graham, did you finish your Cub?

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 03/03/2019 12:20:43

Hi Danny,

I have not been able to do much on the Cub since Xmas due to another couple of problems I have had.

Work continues now and there is not much more to do. I am struggling a bit with the cowl. I made the pattern out of "blue foam" but it must have been the wrong type as the resin melted it. Managed to resurrect it with some filler and toi re glass it but I have a lot of grinding to do on the inner surface to get to the required thickness and lose some weight. What is the spec and supplier of the correct foam?

Regards

Graham

Excellent, well done Graham, sorry to hear you have been distracted from the build.

A nuisance about your cowl too, you may be as well to start again with some fresh foam.

The blue foam I have was from Sheffield Insulations, a Dow Corning product I think, though it is no longer available

If anybody knows of a comparable foam please let us all know. I have heard the larger B and Q are doing some thick boards of a similar material??

You must use epoxy resin around foam, not Polyester. you can tell as epoxy is almost odourless, polyester stinks to high heavens! And polyester is half the price of epoxy.

If you need a small block of foam for a couple of cowls let me know? I don't have much but you don't need much so I can probably spare some

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 09/03/2019 15:09:53

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update:

The 2019 Nationals took place on Sunday 12th and i once again entered the Cub in the scratch built class. I also entered flying only, but instead of my regular foamie, I used my newer Jack Savage Se5a. It is harder to fly, but the comp gave me the hall all to myself for the four rounds. I knew i couldn't win but great opportunity to test fly.

Needless to say it was a great day with a good atmosphere. A great deal more tense than in previous events, but there were a few new entrants with some lovely models and serious flying skills.

I pride myself on the Cubs docs and accuracy, having had some very good advice to start your build with the docs!

I was well ahead after static on this basis.

However my flying is not so good. I realise the problem and will spend some summer evenings flying outdoors to get the model properly trimmed, it is much too nose heavy. Something Jon from laser said hit home some time ago and I think he is right. We often confuse over sensitive controls to a rearward c of g and I think that is what I have done.

Anyway the Cub finished in Silver, which is really very pleasing, especially considering the opposition this year.

60038665_1329781610510421_1501913539009314816_n.jpg

59999541_1329781923843723_8089301946868957184_n.jpg

Eric Streffords Lancaster, it is just like a flying version of the Airfix kit we all built as kids

60004959_1329781637177085_6893692886861217792_n.jpg

Ian Pallisters Veron Tiger Moth, this model is nearly thirty years old and is converted to electric. Ian flies this in flying only

60028576_1329781780510404_5424247496723398656_n.jpg

Graham Smiths lovely Vickers FB8 with rudder via throttle. You could crawl faster than this could fly

60029784_1329781717177077_563361879439704064_n.jpg

Rob Wardales lovely Hercules, uses vectorboard in its construction

60051641_1329781963843719_985162152199323648_n.jpg

My Cub

60159988_1329781673843748_3830183046376587264_n.jpg

Andrew Whites torpedo dropping Blackburn GP Seaplane

60206783_1329781897177059_2323888498991431680_n.jpg

Graham Smith flew this glorious Vimy in scratch built

60326748_1329781827177066_1091968776145993728_n.jpg

My Se5a, it could have flown in scale, but I elected to use the Cub, so the Se was flown in Flying only, it went well but needs a lot more trimming to get it flying right. I guided it 50% of the time the other 50% it went where it wanted!

60431780_1329781860510396_7770757017232211968_n.jpg

Another view of Graham's glorious Vickers Vimy

A big thank you to Sean Fitzgibbon for snapping the pics, I hope he doesn't mind me sharing them here. It was great to meet you Sean, hopefully see you on the flightline next year

We are having a really big push to try and get more involved next year, We are desperately trying to find a better venue with better lighting. Shawbury has been excellent, but if we want to grow the event then we must increase entries.

Adding the competitive edge is great fun and really sharpens up your flying. It is not as easy as you think, and having watched videos of my flights you cant do worse! We are also not as serious as the outdoor flyers, but that isn't to say we aren't trying as hard. We have Internationally aclaimed judges and everything is very well run and organised.

Please please please, if you want to get involved then get in touch.

Cheers

Danny

Great to meet you and the other folk on Sunday, it was truly inspirational seeing your models, they look so good especially flying.

I'll second Danny's comments on the competition, the flying only is easily accessible with an off-the-shelf micro model. I entered the flying only with my Micro Aces Fokker D.VII, it's a bit more effort to get flying than Parkzone or E-Flite micros but it's a nice intro to depron models and flies well.

It was my first scale national, although I read the Scale Rule Book I was't entirely sure what to expect but I got plenty of helpful guidance from the organisers and fellow fliers. The judges were very good, helping settle my nerves and really getting the best out of my flying.

My Dad and I took a load of videos, we aren't too au fait with videos cameras but here is a compilation of clips from the scratch build modes:- **LINK**

I'll get the clips of the flying only models put into a compilation and posted over the next few days.

Thanks Danny.

I finally got round to finishing off the flying only clips:- Flying Only

I didn't get much usable footage of some models as the anti-shake feature on the camera seemed to focus on the roof structure and the models came out very jerky.

I only got a few usable clips of your SE5a, she looks gorgeous in the turns and it's great the way the registration on the underside of the wing shows when she banks away.

• 2 years later...

Just a shameless bump on this thread:

I am organising the 2022 British Scale Indoor R/C Nationals and we have managed to get Wolverhampton Universities Walsall campus on the 23rd of April. So if you want an opportunity to fly in a friendly competition against a friendly bunch then this is the chance.

If we do not make a success of this weekend we may not get another shot, and we will be back to RAF Shawbury, where it is dark, and cold.

I really hope that if you have a hankering to try indoor scale then you will join us.

Three classes, and you can enter them all to get more flights!

Flying only - eligible models are your foamy ARTF's, Micro Aces excellent range, Ares models, E-Flites etc. It must look like the full size.

Kit scale - a free flight scale model modified to take radio, the surfaces can be movable, but structure must follow kit/plan.

Open - This is the F4c of indoor scale. Full docs are required including three views and colour photos. The pinnacle of scale indoor R/C.

We will also be having some scale pylon racing during lunch for fun, classes are:

Kings Cup - Civilian aircraft

Reno - Meaty warbirds copying the Reno unlimited classes

F1 - scale models of the Midget Mustang, Shoestring and Cassutt etc

3 x 3 minutes races. Entry for the racing is a pound which will all go to the RAFMAA

If you are interested, search for the British Scale Indoor R/C facebook group, click on the poster for the event, then scroll down to the buttons where you can say you are going.

Cheers and really hope to see you there

Danny

Edited by Danny Fenton
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...