2017 Mass Build Chat Thread

Hi all. with reference to the wing tips. If you go to Lindsay's original build thread, look on page 4 and there are photos of the underside of the wing tips. There is distinctly a semi symmetrical appearance to them. I found one of the issues with the wing tips is that the underside of the ailerons are flat bottomed extensions from the underside of the wing. I found that however you do the wing tips there are some challenges. Putting the wing tip flush with the lower surface of the wing would seem to cause some problems at the leading edge. I compromised and positioned the tip core about 3mm up from the lower wing surface and then added the triangular pieces top and bottom. A total of some 18 pieces to make up each wing tip. On reflection Lucas's laminated tips would probably have been a better option.

The laminated tip is also in a straight line from LE to TE. My NACA 3414 has the forward point a little higher up so the tip rests on the lower spar. I would say lift it up to the most forward part at the LE, and add triangular pieces to suit top and bottom (will not be much on the bottom).

Do not bring the aileron inward! The outside part is the part doing the work.

Lucas.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Simon,

Mine first flew on 19 May. You can check out my build log for details and flight video. Had the cg too far back on first flight so they were a bit exciting. The plan cg is just about right. Lesson there !

Mine is electric so can not help much on ic power. I do know mine is well overpowered so flight times are around 15 mins on a 4s battery which is a bonus. Saw your log looking very neat and tidy. What finish you going for ?

Tim

Tim - the round tip, constant chord wings and the rounded tail feathers remind me somewhat of the Hawker Nimrod, so I'm basing my scheme on what may have been used on the Nimrod or Fury - see my build thread for some examples, it'll basically be silver with roundels and yellow flashes and/or black and white checks.

Simon

• 2 months later...