2017 Mass Build Chat Thread

One of the candidates is the Robot which I assumed to be the popular Veron Robot but when I clicked on the link I got Mac's Robot a very different and rather obscure model. Do we really expect people to build Mac's Robot?

T

I expect people to build whatever they're happy with K.C, Bob did provide a link to the one he meant and ive added the wrong un, so i apologise.... sorry Bob, same applies as the last one though...if it wins it's no great issue informing which plan will get used. Here's the one i should have linked Robot

Edited By john stones 1 on 04/11/2016 17:44:57

Hi Mass Builders,

As the link of the Baron 1914 in John's Voting Thread only brings you to some Google pics, I thought I could tease your appetite a little.

So, to give it some relish, here are a few 'renderings' of the revived Belgian version of the Svenson Vicomte 1915 aka known as the Baron 1914 by Christian Chauzit, its designer. Credits for the renderings should be given to 'Medi', one of the four Belgian 'Musketeers' who finalized this project... yes

mousquetaire_fuselage_render01.jpg

mousquetaire_fuselage_render02.jpg

mousquetaire_fuselage_render03.jpg

siemens_7cyl_03.jpg

... and what about a nice Siemens radial 7 cyl. to finish it off nicely... angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Musketeers Control

Posted by john stones 1 on 04/11/2016 17:27:05:

I expect people to build whatever they're happy with K.C, Bob did provide a link to the one he meant and ive added the wrong un, so i apologise.... sorry Bob, same applies as the last one though...if it wins it's no great issue informing which plan will get used. Here's the one i should have linked Robot

The Mini Robot is very 'Mass Build' as it is only 37in span and Christian Moes updated and simplified the plan for IC and Electric. A free plan in 'the other magazine' not so long ago. Am I allowed to say that here? Another one on my must build list.

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 04/11/2016 19:31:03:
Posted by john stones 1 on 04/11/2016 17:27:05:

The Mini Robot is very 'Mass Build' as it is only 37in span and Christian Moes updated and simplified the plan for IC and Electric. A free plan in 'the other magazine' not so long ago. Am I allowed to say that here? Another one on my must build list.

Yes, either would make a good candidate with appeal to a range of modellers - vintage, single channel or full house, simple build trainer, nostalgia, rugged winter hack - it's got it all.

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 03/11/2016 12:07:36:

That makes a change, John. It's usually we electric fans who have to do the converting from glow. Now it's glow fan converting from electric. All grist to the mill thumbs up

I'm very tempted by the Skywriter but there's the 3-Way, the Mew Gull and the DB Cirrus Moth as well !!

Geoff

I sold all my glow engines Geoff, lecky and petrol now, i miss the 4 strokes though sad

John

Looking at the voting thread I see that several people have put the same design down for first, second and third. This seems to be an attempt to unduly influence the result towards their own favoured plane and is surely against the spirit of the Mass Build. So I think that those duplicated 2nd and 3rd choices should be completely ignored and carry no marks at all into the final count.

Of course we could all cheat in some way or another but it won't achieve a satisfactory conclusion. The aim is to find a design that will have the support of the most builders so that there is plenty of guidance for newer builders.

Well Bob, I thought that, as I'm sooo slow with my Bella's build, the least I could do was to be a bit faster on this one. Sorry for 'catching' you though... angel

Regarding your "crafty edit", I think Martyn is actively drawing/test-building the Kwik-Fli 'family' and BEB must be... err... trying to finish his Ballerina... but not 'that' actively, I guess... devil

Cheers

Chris

Edited By McG 6969 on 07/11/2016 11:11:29

I've just done a quick tally of the points awarded to each model in the list and the Skywriter is in front with 32 points with the Kwik Fly in second place with 27. Then there's a long gap to the SLEC Fun Fly in third place with 19 and the Striker in fourth with 15. All of the others have 13 points or fewer.

Maths was never my strongest subject mind....

Well David, it seems that the Baron 1914 / Vicomte 1915 will need somehow to be 'pushed up the hill' a bit then.

The Belgian newly revived kit following the design of the Svenson Vicomte 1915 shows a few very nice features.

As an example, besides the standard 2mm balsa ribs, there is also the optional opportunity for this 'Grand Chelem' kind of Finnish ply ribs

mousqutaire_ribs01.jpg

mousqutaire_centresection01.jpg

This shows the flat centre section of the wing with the two dihedral braces.

Please note that the credit for the pictures goes to 'Nico' who was in charge of the prototype build in 2015.

Nobody feels a little teased now? angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Grand Chelem Control

Well I have to say I am surprised that the Skywriter is ahead - it is much more work than many of the others. 2 wings to build, alloy cabane struts to make and fit a turtle deck around and lots of ply formers needing notches for stringers. Much more work if you don't buy the cut parts. Not too much of a problem for experienced builders who will know the extra effort that is needed to build a bipe. Not a model for beginners to building in my opinion. Will we really attract new builders if we select this design?

Posted by David Davis on 07/11/2016 12:24:42:

I've just done a quick tally of the points awarded to each model in the list and the Skywriter is in front with 32 points with the Kwik Fly in second place with 27. Then there's a long gap to the SLEC Fun Fly in third place with 19 and the Striker in fourth with 15. All of the others have 13 points or fewer.

I get Skywriter at 64 and Flis at 44 David and the rest a bit of catching up to do, 5 points for 1st place can soon change that though.

John

Whilst of course I am delighted that people like my Skywriter design I do question the viability as a novice build as it does have some aspects that although will not present issues to someone with a bit of experience, it is a dive into if not the deep end then certainly not the shallows. The prototype is still flying well which says something for the design. Although the mass build has been a focus on bringing novice builders together, most of the finished models I have seen at events do seem to be those belonging to the more experienced so finding something to suit all is probably near impossible. Should it win then the original will get a 4stroke fitted and make an appearance at one of the Greenacre's events next year and give me a reason for updating the blog to include an i/c option. Linds

Posted by john stones 1 on 07/11/2016 13:26:57:
Posted by David Davis on 07/11/2016 12:24:42:

I get Skywriter at 64 and Flis at 44 David and the rest a bit of catching up to do, 5 points for 1st place can soon change that though.

John

Sorry. I was assuming 3 points for the first choice, two for second and one for third.

I agree with McG that the Skywriter, excellent model though it may be, is too involved for most beginners.

I too agree that the Skywriter - lovely model that it is - won't be a beginners' build. Does that mean that one option, perhaps, is that this year you get given the choice of two models? One for "experienced builders" and one suitable for novices? I suspect if Skywriter does get "in" that doesn't necessarily mean we should disqualify it, unless someone makes an executive decision to remove it from the running before voting closes. Skywriter means Skywriter, to misquote ... someone. What's the point of voting, otherwise! In that eventuality,it'd be good to still have it in but with a less scary alternative. Personally, I still really like the idea of marking the Fli's 50th anniversary and a MB of it would tick that box for me.

Simon

I don't disagree with anything you fellas are saying, but if you put a vote thread up people will vote for the one they like/want. smiley

Other ways to look at it also, the supposed newbies put me to shame every year, who's to say what they can manage, also it's something different from the norm so maybe that's a plus, help on the build side is never slow in coming so there's a safety net there. The designer has a build blog on here. There's chat going on in this thread re other models, all offering encouragement to anyone considering a build.

Vote's not over yet, i just set things off, decisions are up to you. See where we are and what folk think when the votes done sounds like a plan to me ? If you've an opinion..get it said..it's a chat thread wink

John

This debate, or similar, happens most years - which isn't to say its a bad thing, quite the reverse

Both of the (currently) leading contenders have considerable merit, but it would seem that each is possibly a bit "marmite" to fanciers of the other. On a quick skim, I can only see three peeps who have included both Skywriter AND Kwik Fli (variants) in their three choices

Last year the decision was to just stick to the winner. But that doesn't mean that's the way it has to be this year. If there are a very clear two (or maybe three?) "winners" then why not go for those. Plenty of precendent for that in past MBs

Just a thought, let's see how the voting ends up