Destiny, My new design.

Occasionally I get the urge to design something different and more challenging, There urges have resulted in my series of model named after the ANgels in Captain Scarlet, all of which featured elliptical wings.

The model is designed round an OS FS 40 Surpass but even a 52 would be fine.

For the last oneI also chose to make the fuselage elliptical on cross section.

Here are photos of the plan.

destiny 1.jpg

destiny 2.jpg

This means a fully planked fuselage just to make it interesting.

Construction is well under way.

The fuselage is built on a crutch with a box at the front

destiny const 1 005.jpg

destiny const 1 018.jpg

One thing that I discovered while drawing the plans was that it would be impossible to fit a 6 ounce tank. No problem, a nice metal tank will work just as well.

When I mentioned the metal tank to a club member he was horrified.. I don't know why. When we were young you could only get the Keil Kraft or Veron tanks. They cost a lot of pocket money and never fitted what we were building so we quickly learned, burnt finger by cut finger how to do it.

I still have the 75Watt Henley Solon soldering iron that I used in those days (1954) and it still works and has the original bit.

I built the tank while waiting for SLEC who very kindly cit out the parts for me.

You will need a sheetof tin. In the old days we used Ovaltine tins and later catering size coffee tins. Now you will have to go to a spray shop and scround an empty thinners tin and remove any paint where the soldering has to go.

I cut the bottom out of an old biscuit tin.

You will also need a brass 20 mm conduit bush with the threaded part cut down to 5 mm long.

The firrst step is to mark out the tin and cut the parts to shape,

destiny const 1 001.jpg

Next you have to bend them to shape accurately. I have two sets of bend bars. One made from Key steel and the other from beech engine bearer

destiny const 1 003.jpg

You then solder them together. Tack them all round at an inch or so spacing. You must get a good fillet all round the join line.

destiny const 1 008.jpg

Solder in the cut down brass bush. This will take a normal bung and pipes from a standard clunk tank.

destiny const 1 011.jpg

I have made the clunk pipe rigid with a flexible bit at the bung end. This stops the clunk ending up at the front of the tank. I have also used a rigid filer/drain pipe

destiny const 1 013.jpg

Finally I have soldered on a grip to make removal easy.destiny const 1 012.jpg

The tank is tested by sealing the pipes and submersing it in a bowl of very ht water.

• Like 1

Posted by Peter Miller on 04/11/2016 11:46:01:

When I mentioned the metal tank to a club member he was horrified.. I don't know why. When we were young you could only get the Keil Kraft or Veron tanks. They cost a lot of pocket money and never fitted what we were building so we quickly learned, burnt finger by cut finger how to do it.

Great to see that being done again. thumbs up

Back in my teenage control line years we did this all the time. I don't recall any great level of tuition - my dad gave me the iron, some metal (iirc, a few old KK fuel cans to cut up and clean), a couple of pointers and left me to get on with it. The results weren't particularly aesthestic - rough as a badgers backside in fact. But you know what? By and large they worked! Might have had the odd leak to seal occasionally, after that first submersion test, but I don't recall one ever going badly wrong - and they certainly never failed in use

Almost certainly not as hard as peeps might think

Edited By IanN on 04/11/2016 12:32:50

Hmm - interesting! I have a very strong sense of Howard 'Pete' nose and tail, with a fair bit of Astro Hog in the middle, with some nice Spitfire wings to finish!

I like the use of the bush to take a bung. In fact any threaded fitting solution (like Bob's) is preferable to the 'finality' of an all sweated-up installation.

Posted by Mike T on 04/11/2016 14:24:27:

Forgot to ask - can we assume a free plan in due course, Peter?

Hopefully yes.

I had not found Destiny's biography, will check it oit.

Quite honestly I was not influenced by any particlar aircraft. The wings have to be elliptical because all the models in the series have them. I just wanted to do a fully planked fuselage (My sadomasochistic streak) and I drew it up.

You can probably read many more aircraft into it but it is purely original.

Posted by David Pearce 4 on 04/11/2016 22:22:44:

I don't doubt its originality Peter, I guess any design will remind someone of another aircraft in some way. It reminds me of the saying "if it looks right , it will fly right".

I look forward to seeing it come together.

You don't do electric versions do you?!

Edited By David Pearce 4 on 04/11/2016 22:23:18

No, I don't do electric but there is nothing to stop you converting it but space is rather limited I am afraid. Still, you might be able to get a battery down between the crutch sides.

Well here is a little bit more

The tank is test fitted in cthe fuselage. It is 40 mm wide for those wondering if there is room for a battery.

destiny const 1 016.jpg

The wings will be needed fair early in the fuselage construction as I want to plank up to them. There will be a 1/64" ply base for the wing fairing.

The wing is built on the lower sheet.

destiny const 1 017.jpg

Looking good Peter. when I made my last tank I used thin sheet brass, easy to work and solders very well.

Have you drawn in any wash-out? Looking at the plan photos I can't make out the plan detail. It certainly has the same attractiveness as the Spitfire wing, it looks as if yours has a slightly higher aspect ratio and if so, no harm in that. i was reading some aerodynamic stuff and it described how the Spitfire wing shape is actually two semi-ellipses rather than a single ellipse and yours is clearly the same. It describes this combination of ellipses as being perfect aerodynamically. I know these things aren't so fussy at our model sizes, but it's still interesting and although aeromodellers don't always see the same things the same way as each other, to me it looks perfect.The full-size "Twister" captures this as well.

This one looks wonderful, it would certainly scale up nicely as well into bigger sizes.

Hi Peter

Looks like another classic in the making. Perhaps OS will start making 40/52 4 strokes again to fill the void. By the way my Ballerina flies superbly and is now one of my favourites.

Mass build for 2018 perhaps? We are all voting on MB2017 at the moment and so far Skywriter is looking good.

Best Regards

Low pass Pete

Colin.

Yes, there is my standard 2 degrees of washout. Ithas worked perfectly on five model with ellitical wings so far.

The wing is designed on Compufoil and is created to the "That looks about right" method. In fact I used the jezebel wing and stretched it here and there to get the size I wanted..

In passing, When Mitchell was asked by his staff what shape the wing should be his answer was "I don't care what shape it is so long as we can get the guns in." so the elliptical wing credit goes to someone else.

L.P.Pete

Well there are a lot of 40 Surpasses around still and not too expensive. SC do a .52 which is a great engine.

Mass build? Somehow I don't think that there are enough masochists around for that but you never know, modellers do tend to be masochistic at times,

It looks a very attractive shape Peter and quite different from the Ballerina I (and others!) built earlier this year and which is now one of my favourite models. Have you had the wing ribs laser cut? It looks like the edges have that slightly burnt look.

It's very narrow at 40mm but if there's enough depth it should be possible to fit a 4S 4000 mAH LiPo. But 40mm shoulder width might make Destiny's accommodation a trifle cramped. It's also possible that an electrically powered version wouldn't need the bump on top of the cowl which may or may not improve its appearance.

Nice to see your soldered up fuel tank. My father made me several toys using the same technique. I remember a small lorry. There were few toys around during and just after the war so mine were all either second hand or home made. I've also soldered up vintage motor cycle petrol tanks to repair leaks. It's not difficult if you have a beefy enough iron and make sure the tin/brass etc is hot enough to melt the solder. Mine, which is at least as old as yours, is also a Henley but is 125 watts.

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 05/11/2016 12:07:32:

It looks a very attractive shape Peter and quite different from the Ballerina I (and others!) built earlier this year and which is now one of my favourite models. Have you had the wing ribs laser cut? It looks like the edges have that slightly burnt look.

It's very narrow at 40mm but if there's enough depth it should be possible to fit a 4S 4000 mAH LiPo. But 40mm shoulder width might make Destiny's accommodation a trifle cramped. It's also possible that an electrically powered version wouldn't need the bump on top of the cowl which may or may not improve its appearance.

Nice to see your soldered up fuel tank. My father made me several toys using the same technique. I remember a small lorry. There were few toys around during and just after the war so mine were all either second hand or home made. I've also soldered up vintage motor cycle petrol tanks to repair leaks. It's not difficult if you have a beefy enough iron and make sure the tin/brass etc is hot enough to melt the solder. Mine, which is at least as old as yours, is also a Henley but is 125 watts.

Geoff

Hi Geoff. Actually the distance between the sides is about 50 mm so that gives abit more room of a battery.

No, you could do away with the top cowl andthat would make it nicer looking too.

SLEC very kindly cut the ribs and formers out for me. There are a few changes to be made. My drawing not them.

I actually enjoy making fuel tanks but I do tend to be lazy and use commercial tanks.

Posted by kc on 05/11/2016 13:23:58:

Anyone looking for a SC 52 should see the small ads here on the forum....... one for 25 pounds! Seems a bargain if it's any good. Personally I use only electric now.

At least SC spares are a civilised price and they are nice engines. I have one ready for a new scale model sometime next year.

Posted by Peter Miller on 05/11/2016 10:54:23:

Colin.

Yes, there is my standard 2 degrees of washout. Ithas worked perfectly on five model with ellitical wings so far.

The wing is designed on Compufoil and is created to the "That looks about right" method. In fact I used the jezebel wing and stretched it here and there to get the size I wanted..

In passing, When Mitchell was asked by his staff what shape the wing should be his answer was "I don't care what shape it is so long as we can get the guns in." so the elliptical wing credit goes to someone else.

L.P.Pete

Well there are a lot of 40 Surpasses around still and not too expensive. SC do a .52 which is a great engine.

Mass build? Somehow I don't think that there are enough masochists around for that but you never know, modellers do tend to be masochistic at times,

Peter,

You are quite right when you say that the credit for the spitfire wing belongs to someone else. His name was Beverley Shenstone,1906-1979, a Canadian who was part of R.G,s design team. But, I expect that you already knew that Peter.

I could not remember the name. I read Joe Smiths biography,or at least his involvement with the Spitfire and it was mentioned then.I have trouble with remembering names.

No, not senility creeping in (although it does seem to be) I have always had trouble remembering names.

Edited By Peter Miller on 05/11/2016 21:04:21

Quite good progress over the last couple of days.

This shows the right wing with washout wedges in placedestiiny const 2 001.jpg

This shows the undercarriage mounting

destiiny const 2 002.jpg

Top sheet applied to right wing so it can be lifter from the board.

destiiny const 2 003.jpg

The wings are joined and once the glue has dried the left wing caan have its top sheet applied and then the assembly can be lifted from the board.

destiiny const 2 007.jpg

The fuselage has the outer parts of the formers added. The ply formers have 1/4" balsa doublers to take the pins for planking. You do not want to try pushing pins into ply.

destiiny const 2 005.jpg

The tail has been added.because I will be planking round the tail rather than fairing blocks.

Not that the piece of 1/4" balsa under the tailplane has 1/4" spruce along the bottom to mount the tail wheel.

The crutch is filled in under the taiplane with 1/2" balsa.

destiiny const 2 006.jpg

Soon I will start the planking and the wing fairings.