Destiny, My new design.

No pictures of today's work but I spent an interesting day planking the top half of the fuselage. some 26 planks. Got about another 20 to go once the wing has been fitted..

Also discovered a silly mistake with the U/C mounting. Easy to modify on the plan but not my model but I can work round it.

Planking is strangely satisfying.

I agree about planking, Peter. I've never planked an aeroplane but the bow and stern sections of my barge are planked and the stern particularly is quite tortuous. The main hull is a simple flat sided box for maximum load and the ability to take the ground when the tide goes out in the east coast rivers.

I really wish you'd stop publishing such attractive designs. I've got a long enough building queue as it is.

Geoff

Quite a bit more done now, skipped one or two stages but the results are here.

The top of the fuselage was planked without the wing of course. This side shows some of the hundreds of map pins used. A total of 26 planks so far.

destiny  const 3 003.jpg

This is the other side with the pins removed. The idea is to plank right up to the wing to save trying to trim this to fit later. I will also build in the root fairings at the same time.

destiny  const 3 002.jpg

This is the bottom view of the model so far. I have just added the belly formers. I made a slight goof with the undercarriage going right in to the centre. IT will end at R-2 in the final version.

destiny  const 3 001.jpg

THis is the view at the tail showing that the planking actually suports the tail surfaces. Covering is going to be a bit of a paindestiny  const 3 004.jpg

Edited By Peter Miller on 10/11/2016 21:07:42

Posted by Maurice Harvey on 05/11/2016 18:59:33:
Posted by Peter Miller on 05/11/2016 10:54:23:

Colin.

Yes, there is my standard 2 degrees of washout. Ithas worked perfectly on five model with ellitical wings so far.

The wing is designed on Compufoil and is created to the "That looks about right" method. In fact I used the jezebel wing and stretched it here and there to get the size I wanted..

In passing, When Mitchell was asked by his staff what shape the wing should be his answer was "I don't care what shape it is so long as we can get the guns in." so the elliptical wing credit goes to someone else.

L.P.Pete

Well there are a lot of 40 Surpasses around still and not too expensive. SC do a .52 which is a great engine.

Mass build? Somehow I don't think that there are enough masochists around for that but you never know, modellers do tend to be masochistic at times,

Peter,

You are quite right when you say that the credit for the spitfire wing belongs to someone else. His name was Beverley Shenstone,1906-1979, a Canadian who was part of R.G,s design team. But, I expect that you already knew that Peter.

And almost certainly Shenstone got the concept of the elliptical wing from his time working in Germany in the 1930's. The advantages of elliptical loading were first recognised by Ludwig Prandtl and his colleagues at Gottingen at the turn of the last century.

Peter, don't worry about us sparkies, we'll always find a way - my Ballerina is great with EP. Plus, if we want a sleeker look we can leave off the cylinder head hump. I'll reserve judgement on that until I see your finished prototype. Removing the hump could ruin the character, plus it looks a great location for the ESC.

Delta Foxtrot.

Interesting how much the ideas travel round. Lippisch and Horten did so much work on flying wings..

Trevor

I think the cylinder fairing may or may not improve the looks. A matter of taste. I have not made up my mind but I am committed

Not too sure about battery sizes but you should be able to get one in. I just checked on the Overlander Website and you can get a 4400 MaH 4S 14.8V battery in. without major mods

Well, got quite a lot more done.

The fairings are made by trapping 1/64" ply between the fuselage and wing. Then adding the small formers.

destiny  const 3 001.jpg

Then 1/16"balsa is wet and fitted.

destiny  const 3 002.jpg

The rest of the fuselage is planked and the wing can be removed. That makes things so much easier.

destiny  const 3 005.jpg

Now starting construction of the cowl. My usual method of working between the nose ring and F-1. In this case The is a separate former as the cowl comes off forwards.

destiny  const 3 006.jpg

Fitting the first of the 1/2" sheet between those formers.

destiny  const 3 012.jpg

Side sheet added.

destiny  const 3 013.jpg

The rest of the parts ready to be fitted. The sides arelaminated from two layers of 3/16" sheet cross grained as a lergin slot has to be cut for the enhaust exit.

destiny  const 3 017.jpg

The basic cowl assmebly. IT will not look quite as bas when finished but I have to say that it looked so much better without it.

destiny  const 3 018.jpg

Some more of the wing has been done.

The wing fairing has been trimmed to final shape.

destiny  const 3 007.jpg

Don't forget to fit the snakes before planking. It does allow you to do a nice fit at the snake exits. Still some snading and shapid right at the rear end.

destiny  const 3 009.jpg

Underside of the wing showing the undercarriage grooves.I took them in a bit too far. On the final version they will end at R-2 so can be removed without damaging the belly.

destiny  const 3 010.jpg

The holes for the wing bolts. These will have thick rolled paper tubes lining them.

destiny  const 3 011.jpg

destiny  const 3 016.jpg

Bellcranks are fitted out in the wing. I like keeping the weight away from the wing tips.

And that is progress so far. well as far as the photos go.

It's looking like a real classic. I think you should stick with the engine cowl design. You decided to produce a plane with the style of a thirties racer and that's exactly how a plane with an upright Gypsy air-cooled four would have looked. If you didn't do it like that, what would the alternative be? A Gypsy the other way up? An air-cooled radial? A flat four? Etc, etc. Time for experimenting when a few more get built!

Hey, I am ready to start covering.

For a start, this is the insides of the rear part of the engine cowl

assorted bits 004.jpg

I was a bit worried that the cowl would spoil the look of the model but I don't think that it has.

assorted bits 008.jpg

assorted bits 009.jpg

That slot allows the cowling to come off forwards over the exhaust system.

assorted bits 006.jpg

I didn't hang the tail bits on for these pictures,

assorted bits 007.jpg

assorted bits 010.jpg

Not too bad for three weeks work.

Agreed, with decent lightweight servos for a model like this so cheap now bellcranks really aren't worth the effort. Still it would be trivial to mod for two servos, looks like there is plenty of room.

PS - I really do like the looks now the cowl is finished. Maybe that could be modded to form a battery hatch for an electric conversion?